which company should i use for my 403b? can't use vanguard. check out my choices

dooo42

Recycles dryer sheets
I wanted vanguard but unfortunately my employer's plan doesn't have them as a vendor. I want a company that doesn't have expensive fees but does have good products and customer service. Which would be my best choice now? here's the list.

American century investments
ameriprise financial
aspire financial
AXA equitable
Fidelity investments
Great American Financial resources
Horace MAnn Companies
Metlife
Oppenheimer Funds
Security benefit life
USAA

My two cents...

"Which company?" might be the second question to consider, not the first. In making any purchase, the first objective is to research what product serves your needs, then decide where to buy it.

What type of funds / asset allocation are you looking to have in your account? Many here (me included) would say that index funds are the way to go.

Of the companies on that list, I am familiar enough with Fidelity to say that they offer a number of relatively low-cost index funds, moderate-cost managed funds and decent customer service.

It will take a bit more research, you have some 'good' names there like Fidelity, American Century and Horace Mann, some I am not familiar with and some I would avoid like the plague--amerprise and AXA. Try 403bwise.com for specific advice. You will have to look at the particulars of the funds each offers but at least you have better choices than my wife had in her 403b.

I wanted vanguard but unfortunately my employer's plan doesn't have them as a vendor. I want a company that doesn't have expensive fees but does have good products and customer service. Which would be my best choice now? here's the list.

American century investments
ameriprise financial
aspire financial
AXA equitable
Fidelity investments
Great American Financial resources
Horace MAnn Companies
Metlife
Oppenheimer Funds
Security benefit life
USAA

Fidlelity. If there's not enough funds on the list with them, American Century is a decent second choice to supplement.........

Another plug for Fidelity. They replaced Vanguard for our 403b and offer their Spartan funds as well as an institutional version of Vanguard's Total Bond Market fund. From my understanding your plan gets too choose which funds are available so be sure to have them include the funds you want.

DD

Of these I'd go with Fidelity. They have probably the widest array of low-cost mutual funds among the group here. American Century is good too but I think you'll get better selection and perhaps more low-cost fund options with Fido.

Back
Top Bottom