VWINX prospects for the future

crispus

Recycles dryer sheets
I have recently bought some VWINX, but I am concerned going forward in this federal spending free for all. It has held up fairly well considering the recent spike in the 10 year bond rate. Do you think it will underperform longterm, or are we going to be mired in weak economy for many years that will keep long term interest low?

We have a big chunk of Wellesley Admiral at the moment, and I'm a little concerned at the continuing slow downward trend. Will rebalance after 1/1.

Do you think it will underperform longterm, or are we going to be mired in weak economy for many years that will keep long term interest low?

I expect it will perform better than most 60/40 funds, it has some good stock and bond choices and low expenses. DWs IRA is 65% Wellesey and 35% Star as I felt a bit more equities would be good. That looks like a brilliant decision (I've got plenty of the other kind).
Something will definitely outperform Wellesley, I just don't know what it will be.

In keeping with our competitive nature DW has Wellesley in her ROTH and I have Wellington. Will 35/65 or 65/35 prevail? Who knows. However, it looks like about a 50/50 split combined. Keep with your overall AA ,rebalance etc.

Ok, so bonds are bad, MM isn't paying squat, where do you put it? (balance funds have always been consider a safer investment).
TJ

I have held Wellesley for many years, and I added quite a bit during 2008-2009. Although I did not buy Wellesley to chase yield, I notice that the value of my shares is still more than what I spent on them because I bought so much of it during the market crash. That's nice, although I suppose it really doesn't matter one way or another since I don't plan to sell (other than to rebalance in January). Shares today are around 6% higher in price than they were at the beginning of last January.

(So, I don't yet see any untoward drop in prices though the future may be different. Check my crystal ball for the latest on that: )

6978-albums71-picture509.jpg

I have been enjoying a nice income from Wellesley dividends all this time. Last year my Wellesley (30% of my portfolio) provided over half my dividends.

Last edited:
Vanguard/Vanguard Admiral represent 40% of my funds. Since I bought them for the long haul I am staying put, but if I was a market timer I would sell or reduce my ownership now (before interest rates start to climb).

So I guess with my messily 5% in Wellesley, I shouldn't worry. You guys have a lot more on the line.

Back
Top Bottom