Say this fast 3x...Keratoconjunctivitis sicca

freebird5825

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am undergoing treatment for something I can barely pronounce...
Keratoconjunctivitis sicca
Keratoconjunctivitis sicca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please pay attention to the potential eye damage that can occur if dry eye syndrom is left untreated.

I've had dry eye syndrome for a little over 6 months. I was using an OTC liquid gel type eye lubricant, which brought some relief. I was then prescribed Restasis for 3 months, used in conjunction with the gel to see if that would solve the problem. It helped a little, but my eyes still felt dry.

I finally bit the bullet and had punctal plugs inserted this past week. What a difference. :D I will still continue the Restasis and OTC drops, per the doctor's instructions.

The good news is my eye pressure also registered a little lower at my checkup. YAY! I am a potential glaucoma candidate. The 3 month checkups I faithfully go to will mean all the difference between undetected optic nerve damage and continued good vision.

So go get your eyes checked if you have not done so recently. :flowers:

Thanks for sharing, Freebird. I have mild dry eye as diagnosed by my eye doctor a couple of years ago. I mentioned to her that I occasionally(rarely) have a sharp stinging sensation in the tear duct region. She put something in my eye and said it did not froth like it should indicating reduced output of natural lubricant. She suggested OTC eye drops which I use more or less regularly.
I am overdue for my annual eye exam. I will schedule one today for when I get back from FL next month. I did not realize the consequences of dry eye could be so dire. I have never heard of the procedure you had, but I am glad it has relieved your discomfort and also that you are being closely monitored.

I am undergoing treatment for something I can barely pronounce...
Keratoconjunctivitis sicca
Keratoconjunctivitis sicca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please pay attention to the potential eye damage that can occur if dry eye syndrom is left untreated.

Hmmmm. Sometimes, I get a sensation that is exactly like I have been peeling onions -- a terrible burning sensation and lots of tearing. I have mentioned it several times to both my PCP and my Eye Doctor. I was told to us OTC Eye Drops. Well, anyone who has looked for that stuff knows that there are more choices than there is in the Olive Oil aisle -- very confusing. Anyway, that was/has been unsuccessful. The OTC stuff doesn't alter the symptoms.

The McMonnies & Ho dry eye questionnaire is often used in clinical studies of dry eyes. It has 14 questions, resulting in a score from 0 to 45. Scores above 14.5 are consistent with dry eyes.

Answered the questionaire and had a score of 15.0.

At least, I, now, have some backup material to present my case to the doctors. Thank you.

Hmmmm. Sometimes, I get a sensation that is exactly like I have been peeling onions -- a terrible burning sensation and lots of tearing. I have mentioned it several times to both my PCP and my Eye Doctor. I was told to us OTC Eye Drops. Well, anyone who has looked for that stuff knows that there are more choices than there is in the Olive Oil aisle -- very confusing. Anyway, that was/has been unsuccessful. The OTC stuff doesn't alter the symptoms.

Answered the questionaire and had a score of 15.0.

At least, I, now, have some backup material to present my case to the doctors. Thank you.

:D

I've had better luck with the liquid gel formula as far as OTC choices go. It temporarily slightly blurs my vision but it is longer lasting than the thinner eye drop formulas. It is more expensive, but there is a coupon in every box for $3 off the next 2 bottles. I buy the value size.

The Restasis + the liquid gel + the punctal plugs is the right answer for me.

Thanks for sharing, Freebird. I have mild dry eye as diagnosed by my eye doctor a couple of years ago. I mentioned to her that I occasionally(rarely) have a sharp stinging sensation in the tear duct region. She put something in my eye and said it did not froth like it should indicating reduced output of natural lubricant. She suggested OTC eye drops which I use more or less regularly.
I am overdue for my annual eye exam. I will schedule one today for when I get back from FL next month. I did not realize the consequences of dry eye could be so dire. I have never heard of the procedure you had, but I am glad it has relieved your discomfort and also that you are being closely monitored.

:D
Mission accomplished.

3 weeks later...

I am happy to say that the punctal plugs I had inserted in December are a smashing success. No side effects, no irritation....all is well. :D
I am still using Restasis and OTC LiquiGel drops, per doctor's orders. The good news is I am using less than 1/3 the amount of OTC drops I needed before.

I still get dry eyes in the car because of the windshield defroster.

The difference between "before" insertion of the plugs and "after" is phenomenal.
I am still able to wear makeup as long as I am careful with the removal process. A gentle touch versus rubbing them is the only modification I had to do. :D

I am also using punctal plugs plus Restasis + occasionally gel. Good news is since starting Restasis I am using gel 2x a week instead of 10x a day....

I have found I can get two uses from the Restasis vials - use them at night then again first thing in the AM - put them in a little holder thingy I made from a piece of wood and cover with an inverted cup to protect from airborne microbes - my eye Dr actually suggested this. Restasis so expensive...

Speaking of which my eye Dr is an attractive young woman. On my first exam she shined a light into my eyes thru my dilated pupils and exclaimed, "You've got a beautiful optic nerve". My response - "oh doc, I bet you say that to all the guys".

Back
Top Bottom