Cairns Australia in Jan/Feb

Moscyn

Full time employment: Posting here.
Planning a self-drive one week holiday in Cairns/Palm Beach/Port Douglas in Jan/Feb. It is mainly a golfing holiday but would like to visit Great Barrier Reef. Since we are not into water sports, am thinking of seaplane or helicopter ride for an airview (anyone tried before and comments and any recommendations of operators we can book from?). If any of you been to Cairns, would appreciate any recommendations of "must visit" and recommendations of restaurants. Thanks

I was in Cairns in 2002, and two of the most interesting things I did were the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park and the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway.

I don't know what the G. B. reef looks like from the air, but from a boat on the surface there isn't much to see. You have to jump in and snorkel around.

Cairns and the Wet Tropics were my favorite part of Australia. Have a great trip.

I was in Cairns in 2002, and two of the most interesting things I did were the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park and the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway.

I don't know what the G. B. reef looks like from the air, but from a boat on the surface there isn't much to see. You have to jump in and snorkel around.

Cairns and the Wet Tropics were my favorite part of Australia. Have a great trip.

We did both of those (the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park and the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway ) too and they were fascinating. We also took a boat trip out to the reef. When we got there, we got into a small boat with a glass bottom (not flat, you were sitting IN the glass bottom) and slowly went through the reef. It was amazing. Neither of us can do scuba or snorkling which were (as I recall) also available. We went in 1997 but I'm sure there is a similar excursion if you look.

We did a 3-week trip to Australia, on our own, but we booked day excursions before we left. It worked well.

Food was great in Cairns for the most part. Everything is very fresh, lots of seafood.

Think Jan/Feb would probably be a bad time to go as it is the wet season. Lots of heavy rain and humidity, plus that's when the cyclones come thru that area. Also it would be stinger season so would limit swimming in Cairns itself. Not sure if you are talking about going in Jan 2011 but have you been following the news report as half of Qld is under flood at the moment.

You probably are aware of this, but Jan/Feb is the wet season in northern Queensland. And it does get WET! Since one of the attractions of that part of the world is rainforest, that's not altogether a bad thing ... as long as that's what you expect.

Speaking of rainforest, the Daintree National Park is well worth a visit:

daintree national park - Google Search

Peter

I have to second the time of year for your travel. We were there in June of last year and weather was beautiful (even though warm, since you are closer to the equator than Sydney.)

If you are lucky to be sitting in a window seat on the plane as you approach the airport, keep your camera ready. The reef is not just one continuous body, but seeing the different "reef tops" from the plane is certainly interesting. I won't post any personal pictures, since there are so many available on-line; however it is breath-taking once you experience it from above.

Regardless of when you go, it is a breath-taking experience. Not only Cairns (pronounced "cans") but the entire continent.

Just remember, Foster's is not a popular beer "down under". A popular beer brand is "XXXX". Why? - because the Aussies can't spell "beer", of course :whistle: ...

I have to second the time of year for your travel. We were there in June of last year and weather was beautiful (even though warm, since you are closer to the equator than Sydney.)

Just remember, Foster's is not a popular beer "down under". A popular beer brand is "XXXX". Why? - because the Aussies can't spell "beer", of course :whistle: ...

The truth is we export that crap Foster's to the US because all American beer is so bad they think that Foster's is good. If you want to try a good Aussie beer try Cascade.

Thanks, everyone. Am thinking of end January stretching to early February and have been following the weather conditions which is the only deterring factor at the moment. My alternate destination is Auckland and vicinity but since we have been there before and were in South New Zealand in February 2010, we thought of Cairns first. We have visited Australia many times but have not done Cairns - looks like it is best to defer the trip to another time.

Thanks, everyone. Am thinking of end January stretching to early February and have been following the weather conditions which is the only deterring factor at the moment. My alternate destination is Auckland and vicinity but since we have been there before and were in South New Zealand in February 2010, we thought of Cairns first. We have visited Australia many times but have not done Cairns - looks like it is best to defer the trip to another time.
We were there in late October, and the weather was great.

Wet season runs from Oct thru to March and it can be pretty brutal. Think this year is has been particularly awful, my family is in Darwin which receives much of the same weather as Cairns and they say the humidity and rain has been the worst they have known it.

At the moment there are floodwaters covering the size of France and Germany put together. Might be best to delay that trip a little. Your fellow members here are correct about the best time to visit, however my favourite time of year was Sept. I lived in Brisbane for 5 years and know north Queensland quite well.

Hope you are have a great trip!

Thanks, everyone. Have decided not to go to Cairns. Will do Cairns next time. Now, I have to think of alternative destination.

Back
Top Bottom