I thought I'd seen it all....

Alan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Today DW and I we sitting having breakfast at our favorite coffee shop close to where we are staying with DD. There were only 3 others in the place when a guy comes in and asks the girl at the counter for directions to the closest Starbucks. She politely told him that they sold coffee too, and in fact had almost every option that Starbucks has. The guy wasn't interested and she told him that he was right between 2 Starbucks and gave him directions to both.

After he'd left we all had a great laugh about it, and the consensus among us customers is that she should have given bogus directions.

About 20 minutes later he drives back up, walks in, uses the restroom, and leaves again without buying anything.

We were all gob-smacked, but it did provide a lot of entertainment :2funny:

Is this a typical profile of a Starbucks customer?

FYI - we have no problems with Starbucks but we always like to try out the local coffee shops and frequent them if they are good. (when there is an alternative to a major chain)

Perhaps this person was on a controlled/illegal substance? Every once in a while we end up dealing with someone who is obviously not quite right based on their behavior, and more often than not I find myself suspecting drugs.

For his first visit, I wonder if he had a Starbucks gift card that he wanted to use.

For his second visit? No guesses; I hope everything came out all right.

Perhaps this person was on a controlled/illegal substance? Every once in a while we end up dealing with someone who is obviously not quite right based on their behavior, and more often than not I find myself suspecting drugs.

Possible, but he certainly looked to be perfectly normal, and his speech was not slurred at all - he was in his late 30's, early 40's and to be honest, he really had the staff and the guests in fits of laughter after he left both times.

Gob-smacked is one of my favorite British expressions, but what exactly is a gob and how does one smack it?

For his first visit, I wonder if he had a Starbucks gift card that he wanted to use.

For his second visit? No guesses; I hope everything came out all right.

In the bathroom?

After the first time we thought a gift or rewards card might have been the reason. It was coming back to use the bathroom that really amazed us.

Gob-smacked is one of my favorite British expressions, but what exactly is a gob and how does one smack it?

I think this is a good definition:

Gobsmacked combines the northern English and Scottish slang term gob, mouth, with the verb smack. It suggests the speaker is utterly astonished or astounded. It’s much stronger than just being surprised; it’s used for something that leaves you speechless, or otherwise stops you dead in your tracks. It suggests that something is as surprising as being suddenly hit in the face.

Males and other dogs are known for marking their territory.

The second time he came in the laughter should have started and maybe he would have gotten the message. :whistle:

Gob-smacked:ROFLMAO: You're just so darn cute Alan.

If I were dating again, Starbucks would be a "must-do" on one of the first dates. Based on my observation of friends, the length and specificity of the coffee order is a good indicator of how fussy, picky, and high-maintenance a person is.

If I were dating again, Starbucks would be an "must-do" on one of the first dates. Based on my observation of friends, the length and specificity of the coffee order is a good indicator of how fussy, picky, and high-maintenance a person is.

That is a very astute observation :D

We were actually sitting in a Starbucks a couple of days ago and were seated by the drive-through lane watching folks drive out, and it was amazing how many were still on their cell phone while wrestling with coffee cups, straws etc. They should charge extra for those seats as it was very entertaining.

Couldn't agree more.
The most complicated order I've ever given at a Fourbucks was "Tall no-whip mocha."

But I often find myself in line behind someone who wants a "grande extra-hot soy with extra foam, split shot with a half squirt of sugar-free vanilla and a half squirt of sugar-free cinnamon, a half packet of splenda, oh and put that in a venti cup and fill up the "room" with extra whipped cream with caramel and chocolate sauce drizzled on top."

Most of the time, I'm with Alan. Local coffee shops are generally pretty good.

But I often find myself in line behind someone who wants a "grande extra-hot soy with extra foam, split shot with a half squirt of sugar-free vanilla and a half squirt of sugar-free cinnamon, a half packet of splenda, oh and put that in a venti cup and fill up the "room" with extra whipped cream with caramel and chocolate sauce drizzled on top."
:LOL:....oh my, this is the BEST laugh I've had all day! :ROFLMAO:

Not to mention their big black SUVs idling in the handicapped parking space while they sprinkle on their own touch of cinnamon/nutmeg/cocoa.

If I were dating again, Starbucks would be a "must-do" on one of the first dates. Based on my observation of friends, the length and specificity of the coffee order is a good indicator of how fussy, picky, and high-maintenance a person is.

I've always avoid Starbucks dates like the plague not being a huge coffee fan. However, thinking back I am struck with how sage this advice really is.
My New Years resolution is to do more dating this year, and I am going to be much more willing to meet for coffee in the future, probably can save me a lot of time and anguish.

Mahalo SamClem.

Of course if a girl pulled the stunt that this guy did, I'd slip out when she went to the bathroom :)

I'm occasionally given a Starbucks gift card, so when I'm stuck in an airport I'll order a large coffee. It's almost always greeted with a pause followed by the verbal encouragement "... And?" To which I'll add: "Black."

I think they use the "special" pot, the one that's been cooking down for the last six-eight hours, just to make sure I'll never come back again.

Couldn't agree more.
The most complicated order I've ever given at a Fourbucks was "Tall no-whip mocha."

I guess I am not a fancy coffee person. My order consists of Good Morning Large Coffee, Black. Sometimes I'll add with half a sugar. At home I have buckwheat honey in my coffee.

I'm occasionally given a Starbucks gift card, so when I'm stuck in an airport I'll order a large coffee. It's almost always greeted with a pause followed by the verbal encouragement "... And?" To which I'll add: "Black."

I think they use the "special" pot, the one that's been cooking down for the last six-eight hours, just to make sure I'll never come back again.

They know they can't expect a big tip for pouring an ordinary cup of [-]battery acid[/-] joe :D

Oh heck, never been to $tarbuck$, the next town over has a CoffeBean, they too have many convoluted names for snazzy, read $$$$ coffe.

The only one I know and use is Americano. That would be a small espresso diluted with hot water to the size of the [-]paper[/-] cup I ask for.

The benefit: each cup is freshly brewed.
coolsmiley.gif

We were back at the coffee shop this morning, and when one of the regulars arrived he asked for directions to the nearest Starbucks, and when we were leaving he said "I'll meet you at 'that other place', know what I mean?". Where ever we go or live we always find a nice local coffee shop because you quickly get to know the staff and regular punters.

We also like places that have a variety of regular, flavored and other types, of coffee where you can help yourself.

Back
Top Bottom