windshield wiper blades

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just changed the wiper blades on the car of a friend. It wasn't that difficult.

My question is, why are blade lengths different for the driver side vs passenger side instead of them being equal? On her car, the driver side was a 24" blade and passenger side 16" blade.

Just curious as to the answer :)

Turn them on and you will see that they sweep a different pattern on each side. The lengths are calculated to cover as much area as possible with each arc.

Thanks. I knew there was a simple answer for it.

Now, why on some cars wipers sweep towards/away from each other, and some sweep in the same direction? :)

Now, why on some cars wipers sweep towards/away from each other, and some sweep in the same direction? :)

I think that the simple answer is that the car is styled first then some [-]poor bastard[/-] engineer has to figure out how to meet the clear area requirements by cleverly designing the wiper mechanism.

I know I know :greetings10:

Some automotive engineer had a hangover and wanted to spread the pain around. Those #@!* attachment clips were designed on the same day.

:ROFLMAO:

I haven't replaced the wiper blades or assemblies in either car for over four years...

But I've wiped the edges of the blades with a rag once in a while.

Coriolis effect?

-ERD50

I'm always a little surprised at what a difference new blades make, the first time I drive in a storm after replacing them.

On my old car, the blades have created semicircular grooves in the windshield where they arc. I imagine the road grit embedded in the rubber is the reason.

In the winter, the rubber is not so rubbery and the blades chatter and squeak. I got new blades, the they were cheap, so when cold, they still squeak. Can anybody recommend a brand or a rubber polymer or treatment that will prevent the squeaky blade problem in the cold? Thanks!

I've wiped the edges of the blades with a rag once in a while.

Can anybody recommend a brand or a rubber polymer or treatment that will prevent the squeaky blade problem in the cold? Thanks!

No tips on a rubber treatment, but every time I top off the washer fluid I splash a little bit of the fluid on a towel, then use the towel to wipe the blades clean. The alcohol does a better job of cleaning off the grime and dead rubber than water alone.

I've been buying Goodyear blades at Costco for the past few years and like them - a bargain at $7 or $8 a piece, occasionally second one free with coupon. They have an enclosed blade spring mechanism so snow and ice doesn't lock them straight (those fellow posters damned to the winter regions know this issue well). I clean them with alcohol occasionally.

No tips on a rubber treatment, but every time I top off the washer fluid I splash a little bit of the fluid on a towel, then use the towel to wipe the blades clean. The alcohol does a better job of cleaning off the grime and dead rubber than water alone.
I stopped using washer fluid years ago, too, and just have tap water in the reservoirs. Admittedly it's pretty clean tap water from a water conditioner, but I haven't noticed any problems.

Of course I'm not driving through snow, sleet, hail, dust, or bug clouds. Maybe a dozen or so torrential squalls a year. Heck, I barely drive through "gloom of night".

Regarding chatter, and to some extent squeak, be sure that the blade is at a 90% angle to the glass during it's sweep. Turn off the key mid-sweep to check on both up and back sweeps and set for equal angle both directions. A couple Crescent-type wrenches on the flat wiper arm will help you twist the arm to adjust. Don't just twist the arm against the wiper post.

I've been buying Goodyear blades at Costco for the past few years and like them - a bargain at $7 or $8 a piece, occasionally second one free with coupon. They have an enclosed blade spring mechanism so snow and ice doesn't lock them straight (those fellow posters damned to the winter regions know this issue well). I clean them with alcohol occasionally.
Another winter tip...if your wiper arms are built this way, raise the entire wiper blade assembly up off the windshield after parking the car. This simple task will prevent them from freezing to the glass and having to be "chipped" off the glass when it snows or ices. Clean the windshield while car warms up, then lower the blades to the normal operating position. :cool:

Another winter tip...if your wiper arms are built this way, raise the entire wiper blade assembly up off the windshield after parking the car. This simple task will prevent them from freezing to the glass and having to be "chipped" off the glass when it snows or ices. Clean the windshield while car warms up, then lower the blades to the normal operating position. :cool:

Good tip. This also works for 4th of July parades if you attach a small flag to each wiper. Use the low speed..:LOL:

I'm going to put some Rain-X on my windshield tomorrow. I've heard it's effective at reducing the ice-glass bond strength, so that's worth a try.

I remember hearing that applying Armor-All to wiper blades would slow down their rot/splitting and help them last longer, but I'd guess this is more important in areas with high ozone levels.

Sam, I have used rain-x and though it may be something of a placebo effect it does seem to help some with the windshield ice. But even better is a product called Ice and Frost Shield by Prestone. It is antifreeze for the windshield, methyl alcohol and propylene glycol. You can put it on the night before or just use it as a deicer. Not perfectly scum free though.

When cleaning the blades no longer works, I sand them lightly with steel wool or 400 grit sandpaper.

Back
Top Bottom