Here come the Priuses

Our HOA provides security for the area. We are about to purchase a new car for them. Does the Prius make sencse? Our security vehicles go between 40 to 50 thousand miles a year, and most of the driving is under 30 miles per hour. We generally keep cars until they are worthless.

We would go through the 100,000 mile battery in less than three years.

Our HOA provides security for the area. We are about to purchase a new car for them. Does the Prius make sencse? Our security vehicles go between 40 to 50 thousand miles a year, and most of the driving is under 30 miles per hour. We generally keep cars until they are worthless.

An Escape hybrid might make more sense - it is a real SUV.

More Proof That Batteries Last: Ford Escape Hybrid Taxis Retire With 300,000-Plus Miles - Green Car Reports

Thanks easy, I looked at the link. I'm interested in the Prius V for the 60% more cargo space than the standard Prius, but the mpg penalty vs the standard Prius is more than I expected - 40mpg vs 50mpg combined.

easy, do you have one, considering buying one, or just wanted us to know? LOL!

Sarah in SC,

I know a few folks who have a Prius and they love it.

My next car (don't know exactly when), will be one that is easy on gas, most likely a hybrid.

The one I've been lusting over is the upcoming Honda Fit Hybrid (that would match my needs fine), but I hear that's not gonna be available in the US anytime soon.

So I'm on the fence. When a new hybrid car comes to market, my ears perk up (hear there's gonna be a hybrid Ford Focus in the works..).

Thanks easy, I looked at the link. I'm interested in the Prius V for the 60% more cargo space than the standard Prius, but the mpg penalty vs the standard Prius is more than I expected - 40mpg vs 50mpg combined.

The Prius V does look nice. 40mpg still isn't bad for the cargo space.

I would take a look at how long the trips and cool down period is.
Cars get awful milage when warming up and hybrids are no exception.
If you have a 5 minute drive, then stop for 30(?) minutes the another 5 minute drive the mpg will suffer.
If the car runs all day irbid plugged into a heater it should be perfect.
Or if the trips are 20-30 minutes you should be in good shape.

How much cargo room do you need?

Oh, that looks tempting - Prius old style wasn't an option because of the space issues. I wish they would make a mazda5 hybrid! The Prius 5 would be better with sliding doors and 3rd row seat options (just like my mazda5)...the sliding doors are priceless when you have kids...

FWIW our 2006 Prius hauls like a Ford Taurus station wagon. We've had no problem with appliances, 10' longboards, and even 800 pounds of wood/metal folding tables. (Of course that exceeds the car's max recommended hauling weight by about 150 pounds, but I'd do it again.) I'd have no trouble hauling most refrigerators as long as I had a good strong retaining strap on the part hanging out the open hatchback...

So I'm on the fence. When a new hybrid car comes to market, my ears perk up (hear there's gonna be a hybrid Ford Focus in the works..).
Used Priuses of the 2005-7 vintage are frequently selling on Craigslist for under $15K. It's a good way to try before you commit to a new model, and if gas prices keep going up then you'll probably sell it for about what you paid.

I would take a look at how long the trips and cool down period is.
Cars get awful milage when warming up and hybrids are no exception.
If you have a 5 minute drive, then stop for 30(?) minutes the another 5 minute drive the mpg will suffer.
If the car runs all day irbid plugged into a heater it should be perfect.
Or if the trips are 20-30 minutes you should be in good shape.
I'm not sure what climate you're referring to, but the 2006 Prius (and probably the 2004-2009 generation) only run the engine for 45 seconds at startup because that's what the EPA wants for heating up the catalytic converter. After that warmup, for stop & go or short shopping trips the car decides whether it needs to run the engine.

While a conventional internal combustion engine wastes a lot of gas as it starts turning, the Prius ECU only puts gas in the engine when the engine is already spinning above 800 RPM. There's very little unburned gas going into the exhaust.

I don't know what the software triggers are for the cooldown on short shopping trips but 45 seconds doesn't seem so bad to me. However there's a small but vocal minority of PriusChat posters who install engine block heaters in their Prius for a 20-30-minute warmup before starting the car in the morning. That fools the ECU and avoids the 45-second EPA-mandated warmup... admittedly at the expense of a few hundred watts of electricity.

Back
Top Bottom