Did any of you retire when the next day at work did not sound fun?

ohyes

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have Googled this, ad nauseum, and figure the answer lies deep in my soul or something.

The night before, I never want to go to work. There was a time when going to work the next day sounded fun. That ended about 5 years ago. When I get to work, I am fine. Work is good. I like what I do; I like my colleagues.

But, not wanting to go to work the next day...is that a sign? I have already made up my mind to retire in May 2012, so the question is moot. But, I wonder about it quite often. I see advice from time to time to stay with your job if you like it. I like it, but the night before it tough--esp. Sunday nights or coming off a holiday.

Some folks are miserable with their work- that must make the decision easier. And, I am coming off two snow days, so the feelings are probably extra strong right now.

My question. Did any of you decide it was time to retire when going to work the next day bummed you out? --EVEN IF you were okay once you got there?

I appreciate your responses. I love reading about other folks came to THE DECISION. Thanks.

ohyes

I can remember getting to the point where on Sunday I became physically ill. When the time comes you'll know it, you may not act on it but you'll know.

Darn it! YES!

If the day did NOT sound like fun! I will try to edit. Thanks!!

After very rough days, I'd FANTASIZE about the day of retiring. I'd go back home and update my own little countdown of how many days left until the magical day. Many times, I felt like just not showing up the next day, but that wasn't practical. When the window of opportunity arrived, no doubt I took the leap :D

Yes. I reached my financial target in 2004, but work (programming in the financial industry) was in a sweet spot at the moment - my own hours, few meetings, work I could do in my sleep, no stress. It stayed that way for an extra 2+ years, so I continued to add to the pile. In late 2006 the work environment went sour, I stopped enjoying it, and quickly gave notice. 4+ years of happy retirement since.

I understand what you meant, Ohyes. I, too, have a very good job, that I still enjoy once I am there. But I also love spending time in my home and walking or playing with my dogs so much that "the night before" as you referred to it often filled with me dread also. I think this is a very common phenomenon really. I just want to make sure that I don't do anything foolish like not showing up until I have reached my financial independence goal. Once FI, I will play it by ear on whether adding to the pile is worth living with the dread of the night before. 2012 is so close. You can do it!!! One thing I do sometimes which I find to help me is to cook a special meal and have friends or family over to enjoy good food, and lively conversation, then after everyone is gone and the dishes are cleaned, I am glad to be heading to my very comfortable bed such that I didn't really have the time to feel the dread. I think any truly enjoyable activity would do, it need not be a get-together with friends and family. Going to your favorite bookstore, enjoying a decaf latte, or tea, anything that brings you joy on the night before will help you get through those moments with less dread. Here's to counting down to 2012 for reaching your ER goal!!!

For the first 10 years or so of working (full-time), I looked forward to arriving at the office and also did not mind terribly the commute or the morning routine to get me to the train.

Then, starting around my 11th year, I began having trouble in the morning getting ready to catch the train. My stomach had some minor problems which caused me to have to rush to get to the train. However, once I got on the train I was fine. I still enjoyed the work although I had some battles with management.

But that did not last long. Once I learned that my company was moving from lower Manhattan to Jersey City, New Jersey, thereby worsening what was already a long and increasingly tiring commute, I grew more depressed about it. Furthermore, I knew I would never be promoted again and the even though the annual pay raises were still pretty good, I was not caring so much if the raise were good or not. I begged off a project I did not like, not caring about the consequences in my next performance review.

In my 16th year, I was able to switch to working part-time (and secured a mostly telecommuting deal), also made possible by having paid off my mortgage a few years earlier to greatly lower my monthly expenses, my first big step towards an early retirement. While this eased my quickly growing dislike of the commute, it did not last very long. The telecommute deal was taken away companywide in my 19th year so some of the horrors of commuting had now returned. This made it tough for me to juggle all the weekday activities I had begun or resumed doing in the telecommuting era.

In my 22nd year, after 3 years of having the lousy commute even 3 days a week, my mental depression and physical discomfort was extending a bit into the work day. That is, it was taking me 30-60 minutes to recover from the angst of the commute. Furthermore, I was enjoying the work less and less, caring less and less about going the extra mile to do stuff. My planning for an ER was growing as I began developing spreadsheets to project future revenues and expenses in a no-more-work scenario.

As a result of all of this, in my 22nd year I further reduced my weekly work hours to lessen the commute. This helped me regain some happiness for a while. But it did not last long, as the depression from the commute remained. With my reduced workload, I was limited to mostly one large project for about 18 months. It was a mentally challenging project, but I was growing weary of it. Furthermore, my planning for ER had accelerated as big pieces of it were falling into place.

As I began my 24th year in late 2008, I was now playing out the string. The commute still sucked and several times a day I would sadly say to myself, "Why am I still working here?" By August, 2008, the final pieces fell into place and I selected my final day of working (October 31) and when I would notify my bosses (September 30th).

My lone challenge at work was to finish that big project before my last day ended. And I got it done about 45 minutes before I left on Oct. 31. At least that was gratifying, unlike that morning when my stomach was in an unsurprising uproar for the last commute.

When I got home that day after a somewhat tearful commute, I let out a big, "I'm FREE!" That was just over 2 years ago and I haven't regretted it. Every snowstorm since then (such as the one we are having now) makes me so glad I don't have to deal with that crap any more. Addition by subtraction, my favorite kind of addition LOL!

I still like working but heard that you should first try a long vacation (1 or 2 months?) as practice to leaving work

phil

I loved my job for the first 35 years. Then one day mega-corp said "we need you to do this, no budget, no questions". Was fun for the first year, not so the second, I dunno about the 3rd.

I knew my days were numbered when I felt ill on Fridays, because there were only two days until I had to be back at work.

I have Googled this, ad nauseum, and figure the answer lies deep in my soul or something.

The night before, I never want to go to work. There was a time when going to work the next day sounded fun. That ended about 5 years ago. When I get to work, I am fine. Work is good. I like what I do; I like my colleagues.

But, not wanting to go to work the next day...is that a sign? I have already made up my mind to retire in May 2012, so the question is moot. But, I wonder about it quite often. I see advice from time to time to stay with your job if you like it. I like it, but the night before it tough--esp. Sunday nights or coming off a holiday.

Some folks are miserable with their work- that must make the decision easier. And, I am coming off two snow days, so the feelings are probably extra strong right now.

My question. Did any of you decide it was time to retire when going to work the next day bummed you out? --EVEN IF you were okay once you got there?

I appreciate your responses. I love reading about other folks came to THE DECISION. Thanks.

I felt that way for the last ten years of my nursing career. I just did not have the means to bail out. When I was able to it took 30 seconds (my husband timed me) to make the decision to quit. I had my resignation on the boss's desk two hours later (delivered it on my day off) and was out three weeks after that.

I have already made up my mind to retire in May 2012, so the question is moot.

Can you share how you arrived at that date? Assuming the upcoming 2014 ban on pre-existing condition underwriting for health insurance stays in place, a date of July, 2012 would coordinate with a typical 18 month Cobra eligibility quite nicely.

But May would miss the mark ever so slightly...

I worked past the dreading Monday stage because I was not financially ready to go. By the time I did retire, I felt like I had been rescued from persecution (company had a massive buy out offer, which I snatched).

Your underlying question is whether you have "cause" to retire. Look at it this way - if you can afford to retire, you have lots of options, including getting a new j*b that you love even if it pays peanuts.

After a year of so, you may find yourself here daily, pontificating on the world. :flowers:

Thanks for your stories! These were great to read this morning - before heading out to work, lol. I will re-read and re-read.

I teach school - that is why May/June 2012 (whenever the school year ends). There will be group insurance available and I may even qualify for state employee group insurance which is about $200/month cheaper. They are two different plans in Arkansas. I was a state employee for a couple years and that should qualify me. (I get different answers from different offices, but I know of a couple folks who retired from teaching but qualified for the state group rates).

My husband also teaches and is retiring this year. The plan is for him to get the house ready to sell. It needs lots of dry wall work because our collie mix of 12 years (She is much loved) chews holes in walls. It is not a good situation. Anyway, the idea of DH staying home and doing all that kind of stuff while I work one more year appeals to me. Though, I bet I end up extremely jealous on Sunday nights. :confused:

Thanks again for your stories. As I had hoped, I am not alone. That is a good feeling! - helps me get out this door this AM! ;)

ohyes

I too have anxiety before going back to work... The more I take off the bigger the anxiety gets as my work piles up. Once I am at work I get caught up and then feel alot better about going in the next day. I dread long vacations in that respect.... knowing that no one will pick up my work while I am gone and complete it for me...... Vacations are sometimes stressful because of that realization.

I think a lot us are (or were in my case) ambivalent about work. We like some things about it and dislike others. In my case I stressed out at night, often about things I couldn't control. Many times at night, I would dread the next day (or more accurately, the future of work in general). But at work during the day I always got engaged and ended up enjoying things (for the most part). Once I was FI I was more comfortable with the see-saw and decided to work a few years longer. But one night I woke up stressing and decided to give my notice the next morning. I have never regretted that decision (6 years now).

scrabbler1 - I can identify with you!!

Though I only work 3 days per week, and one of those is from home, I HATE my 1.25+ hour commute each way. For a long time, I'd just say, "it's not that bad, I only have to do it 2 days per week", but now I just dread it. My 4-day weekends just seem to fly by (poor me!) Only 11 more weeks, though (but who's counting??) :whistle:

I have a brother who looks forward to Mondays, because he loves what he does so much. That's just sick. :sick:

I have joked with my partners that one day they're going to get a call from me that the company car is parked on the side of the interstate and someone should go get it because I'm done! Of course, I wouldn't do that.

A retired friend told me he heard that once you start seriously thinking about retirement, you ARE retired. I get that now. After 35+ years of doing the same thing, there are days when it is a great way to spend my day but too many days when it is nothing but tedium. I'm 61 and probably okay financially to quit, but am having a hard time getting the DW(dear wife?) to sit down and do some of the analysis people here do. If we are prudent, we have enough money to last forever, barring some economic collapse, and to maintain 2 mortgage free homes (1 is free, 1 is almost free).

But yes, when you start getting depressed about having to go back to work, it is either time to retire or find something else to do.

I'm not retired yet. I often have days like you describe. I like the work most of the time once I am into it, but sometimes...ugh.

As far as I can tell, I think we would be okay if I walked today. However, I have committed to 719 more days, plus a possible 1-3 year tail of less intense work (2 weeks of travel per month and oversight by email and telephone from wherever I am the other two weeks, i.e., about half time, with the same or similar pay and bennies). The tail is not contracted yet, but I have a handshake. We'll see what happens. I find that I have a bit of "one more year" syndrome, and I also find that I like running up the scoreboard, even though we are pretty well FI. Of course, my commitment also hangs over my head. If I ever decided I wanted to go back to work, not honoring this commitment would seriously hamper my options.

R

I retired but was lured back for a part time job. A few months into it I knew it was a mistake . I just could not tolerate all the complaining any more so I gave my final notice and left for forever that time .

But, not wanting to go to work the next day...is that a sign?
Ah, yes, you can Google the dreaded "Sunday night syndrome".

These days for us, Sunday night means "Well, now that the streets and the stores will be emptying out tomorrow, do we have any errands to run?"

It needs lots of dry wall work because our collie mix of 12 years (She is much loved) chews holes in walls.
Wainscoting. Or drywall with a jalapeno-juice primer...

I still like working but heard that you should first try a long vacation (1 or 2 months?) as practice to leaving work
The homily is "You will know when it's time to go".

However if you're having doubts ("But... but what will I DO all day?!?") then a minimum of a six-week sabbatical is a very reassuring way to answer the question. The only problem is that it usually means you're going back to work, at which point you have to endure a certain amount of "I used to put up with this crap?!?" disillusionment before you can start your full-time ER.

"What will I do?!?" is one of the top three concerns of all ER wannabes. About two months after ER begins, though, the question changes to "What the heck was I worrying about?!?"

For the first 10 years or so of working (full-time), I looked forward to arriving at the office and also did not mind terribly the commute or the morning routine to get me to the train.

Funny...for the first 15 years or so for me, when I was late for my train and see it on the platform, I'd make a dash and catch it on time without hardly breaking a sweat. In the latter years, dashing to catch that train, I'd sweat like crazy and feel like I'd keel over from a heart attack.

Guess that should have been the indicator of time to call it quits. That I just callin' in "Sorry..missed train, gonna catch the late one..." :LOL:

phil
I heard that also. May 1st, I'll be four years into my "long vacation" :cool: ...

I hear "practice makes perfect". I'm trying hard every day to make this work...

I had the feeling and wasn't (still not) in the position to ER, so I updated the resume and explored new opportunities. The grass is not always greener on the other side, but the change can be fun at times.

Back
Top Bottom