Hi from Portland, Oregon

Retiree wanabee

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi everyone,

I'm a 47 y/o male, married with a great 6 y/o little boy. My wife and I hope to retire somewhere between 62 - 65 depending on where our son decides to go to college (he has no choice - he's going :D).

We have approx. $400k in self directed IRA's and 401k plans. I max out my 401k every year and we just started contributing $5000 to each of our Roth IRA's. I will also have a small pension (about $1200 a month from a previous employer).

We love Portland, but want to retire somewhere warm and are keeping all our options open including retiring to another country. I lived in San Antonio for a number of years and I'm not sure we want something that humid, but if we could find a beach community where there is a comfortable breeze, that would probably be ideal.

My biggest concern isn't funding retirement, but having some major medical problem that wipes us out. Right now we are both in great health (both avid runners), but you never know what the future holds.

Anyone got any great (warm) retirement locations either in the U.S. or elsewhere?

Another Portlander here.. and been there, done that with kids.

We went through that 'retire to a warm beach community' phase too but find that our thirst for such places was quenched by extended visits. Queensland, AU is wonderful but I hate to think what the communities that charmed us then are experiencing today. My parents had a place in HI but kept a home in PDX. HI worked for quite a while until their health declined and they needed help.

Take time for extended visits to the communities you are considering, invest so that you can fullfilll that dream.

That's funny, I retired to Portland from a warm beach city - Huntington Beach, CA.

I found all of So Cal a bit too expensive.

Hi everyone,

Anyone got any great (warm) retirement locations either in the U.S. or elsewhere?

Welcome to the board - Oregonian since 3 - just bought a place in La Quinta California last fall. Came in from eating lunch out by the pool in my Tshirt just now, listening to a neighbor making (I guess) a Mexican mix tape, heavy on the oompah polka and vocals. Price for the place was great, all the shopping opportunities one could wish for, water cost is absurdly cheap compared to home but the water doesn't taste as good. I loathe sales tax. Big buck car junkie's paradise - followed an Audi R8 down the road yesterday.

May pick a few Tangelos off the back neighbor's tree - haven't seen them here but one day in the last 3 months - fine neighbors!

img_1024183_0_5bb281b645d021cf16d7b528fd2c6832.jpg

Avenida%20Ramirez

welcome! we have been looking at Tuscon, however my daughter and son-in-law just moved to Portland so I'm not sure what the boss is going to let us do

Back
Top Bottom