ER is a blue zone - five traits of happy work cultures

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Lifehacker has a summary of findings from Dan Buetner's book Thrive: Finding Happiness the Blue Zones Way—on how to apply the lessons from the "blue zones"—the areas of concentrated happiness and well being he's studied like Denmark and Singapore. All five fit perfectly with my ER lifestyle:

Limit your workweek - none;
Avoid long commutes -none;
Don't skip vacations - check;
Enjoy happy hour - double check;
Find the right boss - none.

Unfortunately, you young dreamers will have to incorporate all this into your work life. :(

That one caught my attention too. The summary link indeed refers to socializing with your co-workers. In my experience, most want to drink and complain about work, that's the last thing I want to talk about at happy hour. I'd even be OK with talking shop as part of happy hour, but not complaining/whining. Guess I never mastered how to pick co-workers to drink with...just plain socializing with them would be appealing.

I used to go for a drink every Friday with coworkers. It was very useful to cement relations with managers from other departments. On retiring I said I would be sure to keep in touch and go for a drink with them every now and then. I think I went 4 times during this first 12 months of retirement and I have no plans to attend any more.

I'd forgotten all about that little work task :)

I used to go for a drink every Friday with coworkers. It was very useful to cement relations with managers from other departments. On retiring I said I would be sure to keep in touch and go for a drink with them every now and then. I think I went 4 times during this first 12 months of retirement and I have no plans to attend any more.

My double check on "enjoy happy hour" referred to my happy hour at home since I no longer have co-workers. Mine was an ER equivalent post :)

My double check on "enjoy happy hour" referred to my happy hour at home since I no longer have co-workers. Mine was an ER equivalent post :)

Understood and agree.
sSp_bdayparty.gif

Limit your workweek - working on it
Avoid long commutes - 30 second walk downstairs
Don't skip vacations - check;
Find the right boss - me, check

Looks like I need to concentrate on #1.

Limit your workweek - working on it
Avoid long commutes - 10 second walk upstairs
Don't skip vacations - double check;
Enjoy happy hour - I need to start drinking;
Find the right boss - wife, Not sure how to mark this one

Looks like I need to concentrate on #1.

Pre FIRE

Limit your workweek - not an option
Avoid long commutes - N/A, lived 10 miles from w*rkplace
Don't skip vacations - check, did several tag along vacations
Enjoy happy hour - I was President of the Social Activites Council :D
Find the right boss - valiant attempts but no success:horse:

Post FIRE
Limit your workweek - zero hours for a paycheck :clap:
Avoid long commutes - N/A
Don't skip vacations - every day is vacation :greetings10:
Enjoy happy hour - look for me at the Legion during the daytime :LOL:
Find the right boss - not in this universe or any parallel one :cool:

From the thread title:

traits of happy work cultures

Looks like an oxymoron.

For the first year or two after retirement I went to a few afterwork drink ups. Was fun. Haven't gone (or been invited) recently. I think I have moved on and no doubt they have too.

Limit your workweek - FAIL!
Avoid long commutes - most of the time, but sometimes the commute is a plane ride;
Don't skip vacations - check; will not compromise here!
Enjoy happy hour - not part of the culture;
Find the right boss - check.

2.5 out of 5 ain't bad, I suppose! And I do feel my workplace has a happy culture.

Back
Top Bottom