Class of 2012

Six more working days for me at age 64.5 . I am not what you call the early retiree but I will be retired.
I

With so many folks declaring they will have to work into their 80s to retire, we can probably consider you an early retiree:D

9 more days and I will be retired (age 56) from IBM after 28 years of service. I am very grateful for the career I've had as well as the remnants of a pension plan that I will continue to enjoy. Each day the excitement just grows and grows!!!

IBM was a major supplier to my mega-corp and I have many fond memories of IBM friends over the years. Glad to hear you were able to stick it out despite what they did to a once very beneficial pension plan. Congrats and good luck to you!

9 more days and I will be retired (age 56) from IBM after 28 years of service. I am very grateful for the career I've had as well as the remnants of a pension plan that I will continue to enjoy. Each day the excitement just grows and grows!!!

Congrats! I left IBM after 19 years when my desk was to be in the northwest instead of the southeast. I have the calculated defined benefit thing waiting for me at 65. It is not too much money, hehe. I'd have over 30 years if I had stayed.

YAY for me! Best of all news, re-org today - my job is eliminated. So I get my bonus, options and a package and don't have to wait until April 15 to give notice.

Could it be any more perfect? Consider me retired!!!!!!!!! Well, next week anyway

ripper1 said:
Get out while you can, Ron. I am a retired city of chicago employee. Wow, 32 years, enyoy your life. Good Luck.

Thanks Ripper, I actually went out and talked to retirement last Friday, got all my numbers, and can say I now plan to be retired on August 1st 2012

YAY for me! Best of all news, re-org today - my job is eliminated. So I get my bonus, options and a package and don't have to wait until April 15 to give notice.

Could it be any more perfect? Consider me retired!!!!!!!!! Well, next week anyway

Congratulations! :clap: This sure turned out beautifully for you. :D

BellBarbara - what awesome news!!! That was my dreamed-for strategy, but it never came to pass. So happy it did for you!!!

Bell,
Congratulations! Awesome to get the unexpected boost, when you were ready to leave anyway!:dance:

Wonderful news! Most people would be crushed if their job is eliminated, but you get to celebrate!

I hope your last week goes smoothly and your bonus, options and package all come tied up in a big red bow.

Congratulations :dance:

Too funny, I got two calls already asking me if I was interested in working for these companies. No way!

This is pretty darn exciting! Congratulations!

yay for me! Best of all news, re-org today - my job is eliminated. So i get my bonus, options and a package and don't have to wait until april 15 to give notice.

contradulations!!!!

bellbarbara = lotto winner, congrats on the rif package:dance:

Best of luck to the class of 2012. I enrolled earlier this year but I'm bumping myself to probable class of 2013. Long story short: I got the opportunity to spend an extra year in Europe, pulled my retirement papers, and will stick around in my current job now for at least another year. Now I can fit in those trips to Prague and Portugal...Boa sorte todos!

There is a class of 2011 and of 2013, but 2012 is missing so far.

In 2012 DH will start receiving his pension as former teacher, at age 60.
Long time ago we have decided that I will join him in ER, then age 53.
We keep track of our expenses, have payed off our house and saved enough to make it happen (and then some for fun...).

Anyone else?
Is there a Class of 2010? Just wondering.

Is there a Class of 2010? Just wondering.

There was a class of 2010, though it was before I joined this illustrious group. However, one can join the class of 2010, I know of no prohibition on this board. It's simple, just follow the instructions below:

How to Build a Time Machine: Scientific American

I am working on the device now. You will know when I have completed my labors as my name will appear in the Class of 1985.

Last edited:
Surving a few months more?!?!?!?

/Rant On

I am finding it harder to put up with some of the nonsense at work. I can deal with the regular teaching quite well. But, now there is pressure to participate in another 'program' designed to raise student scores. I am a team player and will go along with the boss, but I also see that nobody is addressing the 2 ton elephant in the room. Instead we piussyfoot around it hoping that somehow we can overcome this and make a difference.

Like a person who has finished a great vacation, I sit in the airport and just want to be home ASAP.

/Rant off

Chuckanut, once you have retired I suspect that the fact that they are pussyfooting around really won't matter much to you any more. Even though you will still care, that will be their job/concern and not yours any more. You will be more concerned about things related to your day to day life in retirement such as what day various facilities are open, when the library is least crowded, and when the museums have free admission, where you may wish to travel next, and so on.

Letting go of work issues is hard to do, but it is part of the psychological adjustment to retirement. I think you will do fine. For now, "cooling it" while you wait, as you are doing, is the right response.

OK I feel totally anxious. I just want the package to come so I can turn in my computer and such. I know this is totally normal so will not complain too much. They offer me 4 weeks to look for another job internally, so I don't have to turn things in. But I want to close it all down so people do not come to me for help.

Hopefully it will be by mid week next week. I will keep busy with some house projects, and log into my email only a couple times a day to look for the information on my package.

My husband is soooo happy he brought me roses yesterday. :)

Well, its official!!! I officially ended work on Friday, and Im turning in my keys on Monday my Birthday (age 50) , to help my replacement for a couple of hours on MY time because I WANT to. then on friday to get my 7 checks from the City :). then on to the big adventure. still frustatrated with the what are you going to do now that you are done here, of course you HAVE to do something else, comments!!!

Well, its official!!! I officially ended work on Friday, and Im turning in my keys on Monday my Birthday (age 50) , to help my replacement for a couple of hours on MY time because I WANT to. then on friday to get my 7 checks from the City :). then on to the big adventure. still frustatrated with the what are you going to do now that you are done here, of course you HAVE to do something else, comments!!!

Good job and congratulations! You don't need to answer that question. Just smile and lete them think whatever they want.

Two more days to go. Drafted my farewell email over the weekend and took my personal effects from my office. Office files are nearly complete and working on transitioning the last two work matters. I am very excited for FIREing on Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom