Got Stocks?

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
We've been shedding some individual stocks; we're taking pretty good gains but they've been going nowhere lately and I can't make a case for keeping them. I've pretty much accepted that I'm not smart/diligent enough to evaluate individual companies and their prospects, so we're moving towards all funds, mostly broad index types.

So I'm wondering, what % of your port is individual stocks, and how do you feel about it?

100% fund right now, and doing homework on individual stocks right now to see if I can make some more moola on those. Nobody is ever satisfied it seems.:whistle:

5% - all in Berkshire.

But what will happen when Warren dies? :hide:

95% of my equity portfolio is in individual stocks, and has been almost since I started investing. I started doing this to gain more control over timing of gain and loss recognition. That is still a good reason, but there are others too.

Ha

100% individual stocks for many years now, which is the only allocation I am comfortable with.

I enjoy tracking and analyzing them, but this is made easier by sticking to only the most stable, well-managed companies (IMO) with long histories of earnings/dividend increases and no clouds (IMO) on the horizon.

0%
All funds here in Chicken Little's household :hide:

I just started buying some individual stocks recently & have about 3% of my liquid assets in them. Don't have much time to spend evaluating them and Mutual Funds seem to be doing just as well or better.....

I do like that AAPL though....:D

Almost zero in individual stocks. I used to do a lot more. I do a 'testosterone trade' once in a while, and the few I've done recently gained me almost exactly what the market did!

I just don't have the confidence that I can pick 'em better than average, at least not enough of 'em to be diversified enough to protect myself against a mistake or just some occasional bad luck, and still make it worth while.

More power to those who can.

-ERD50

0% individual stocks. We've had stocks, Drip plans , ESOP's etc over the years. Now we're working toward a basic Total Stock Mkt, Total Int'l Mkt, Total Bond Mkt portfolio for the employer retirement plans. Our Roth's are VG Wellington & Wellesley along w/ REIT Index and Hi Yld Corp. Easy diversification and simplicity fit our goals

~10% and slowly falling. As I sell stocks that have fallen out of my favor, I'm as likely to replace them with mutual funds as I am with other individual stocks. This is especially true of the company stock I get through ESPP and unload after 2 years. I'm rarely doing the reverse, selling mutual funds to buy individual stocks.

0%, here. I am retired and at this stage I am mostly interested in diversification and lowering risk.

I own one stock. It's the remnants of my 401(k) company match as well as some exercised stock options outside the 401(k). In total, I'd estimate it at roughly 6% of my port. I'm estimating because, for one thing, I don't know exactly what the stock value (reduced for what i owe our Uncle Sam) amounts to. The stock price, i know to the penny each day (if I looked). Now, 6% of one stock might sound like a lot (or heck, maybe a little). At one time, this stock was 70+% of my port as it exploded in value within my 401(k) over a 10 year period. I was able to divest myself of most of it before it shrank to a 1/3 it's highest value. Now, you might ask, why would I keep such a stock (old megacorp, hasn't recovered from big loss in '08, same price it was in '99, blah, blah blah). Well, it's got a low PE ratio (now that it's lost 2/3) AND it's paying over 5% dividend. That's better than anything in my port is doing! So, for now, I'm going to hang on and see what happens. Over my 36 year career, whenever I thought about buying some of this stuff (but never did outside of the 401K)) I always regretted not buying. So now, at least I'll hold.

Oh, I do own one other stock. It's the stock in the family business. It's not even OTC so, it really has no value other than the assets of the company or what my fellow shareholders might pay me to buy me out. I'm calling it 5% of my port and that's a total guess.

I'm okay with my decision on both of these stocks though with a "do over", I would have dumped megacorp at it's high!!! Hind sight and 20/20, and YMMV, etc. etc.

95% of my equity portfolio is in individual stocks, and has been almost since I started investing. I started doing this to gain more control over timing of gain and loss recognition. That is still a good reason, but there are others too.

Ha

Same for me. The balance(5%) in cash. I like collecting my own dividends.

0%
Before FIRE, I owned stocks and funds. After looking at my track record over several years, I realized that I was mismanaging both. Got rid of the stocks and I feel better about the funds. I want to learn more before I accept the challenge of going back into stocks.

Free to canoe

Free to canoe

O% in individual stocks these days, down from 100% a decade back. I got lazy...

Now it's:
20% Vanguard Intermediate Term Bond Fund
20% Vanguard Inflation-protected Securities Fund
33.6% Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund
8.4% Vanguard Small-cap Value Fund
18% Vanguard FTSE All-World Ex-US Fund

with bands of 25% up/down from those allocations. I check regularly, every year, and re-balance as needed. (Did I mention I'm lazy?)

0% individual stocks. Over 85% of our assets are in equities, but all of that is MFs. I feel fine about it.

We are about 62% funds and 38% individual stocks. I am comfortable with this mix.

About 50% individual stocks, mostly Berkshire. No funds now, but may transition to that later so DW does not have to keep up with it, if I ever kick the bucket.

How about that optimism!?!

I only have 2% now but I used to have 30% and that 30% represented one ( lucky ,great ,winner ) stock .

All mutual funds. I decided a long time ago that I didn't have the time or energy to do the research so funds were an easy way out. I did have a broker way back who pitched individual stocks to me, he had some early winners, some losers and a spotty track record overall. I was just never convinced that anyone I knew had that Bernie Madoff magic, so funds were my path of least resistance.

Back
Top Bottom