Hi there

carnivalday

Recycles dryer sheets
Ive enjoyed reading this forum for a year or so, and decided to jump in the fray. Im 57, single, living in Florida, and hoping to retire in the next couple of years. Im saving as much as I can, as well as paying down debt, so that I can retire debt free. I have a small farm, and plan on staying here as long as I can. Do a lot of gardening, and chickens, to hopefully help defray costs. Im all about leaving the workforce, but realistically need to work several more years.

Thanks for a great forum.

Ive enjoyed reading this forum for a year or so, and decided to jump in the fray. Im 57, single, living in Florida, and hoping to retire in the next couple of years. Im saving as much as I can, as well as paying down debt, so that I can retire debt free. I have a small farm, and plan on staying here as long as I can. Do a lot of gardening, and chickens, to hopefully help defray costs. Im all about leaving the workforce, but realistically need to work several more years.

Thanks for a great forum.

Welcome. :greetings10:

We can always use another poster with practical skills.

Welcome aboard...

Not many farmers here, mostly city folk. Is your major income from farming? How do you retire from farming, have to sell the farm, rent it out or do it part time? My grandfather was a dairy farmer, absolutely none of his children farm, I understand why.

Welcome! I grew up on a farm and loved it then.

Yes, I am fortunate living in Florida. I moved down here from New Jersey about 10 years ago, just couldnt take the lifestyle up there, the winters, the high cost. Bought a little bitty farm and really enjoy it. My income isnt from farming, I have a "real" job. Im just trying to get finances all sorted out so I can retire and stay here, since it seems everything I want to do or play with is right in my back yard. On my days off, I do nothing but stay home and play. Not to mention the beach is about an hour and a half away. So Im practically living my retirement already...now I just have to figure out how to squirrel enough money away to I can leave this pesky job that is really getting in the way of my life.

Yes, I am fortunate living in Florida. I moved down here from New Jersey about 10 years ago, just couldnt take the lifestyle up there, the winters, the high cost. Bought a little bitty farm and really enjoy it. My income isnt from farming, I have a "real" job. Im just trying to get finances all sorted out so I can retire and stay here, since it seems everything I want to do or play with is right in my back yard. On my days off, I do nothing but stay home and play. Not to mention the beach is about an hour and a half away. So Im practically living my retirement already...now I just have to figure out how to squirrel enough money away to I can leave this pesky job that is really getting in the way of my life.
welcome, carnivalday
How big is a "little bitty farm"? I plan to do the same kinds of things (garden & chickens) when I retire. I bet in Florida you can eat from the garden year round. :flowers:

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have a nice setup - just waiting for you to have more time with it.

My DH and i are visiting Fort Myers next week; we have never been farther south in FL than Orlando. A work colleague warned me that we may just decide we want to retire down there because we will love it so.

My little bitty farm is 10 acres. I live in an area with a lot of 10 acre farms, theres a lot of them in Ocala....a LOT. Ive been planting blueberry bushes, peach and nectarine trees, and a few orange trees. Gardening is a lot of fun here, but from June thru August nothing does well...just too toasty. But September thru May, theres lots to grow. I love Florida.

Welcome ! I live in Sarasota,Fl. and I also moved here from New Jersey sixteen years ago . Ocala is a nice area .

Back
Top Bottom