Siding repair

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Our townhouse tenants - who are very observant - reported a leaky downstairs window. I didn't see anything wrong with the window or its caulking.

Just under the deck and right above the window, though, I found a narrow strip of vinyl siding missing and the house wrap exposed. (Photos attached).

There is flaky stuff around the edges, as if somebody glued a piece of something on there at one time, but I found no siding scraps, etc. under the deck.

Any recommendations on the best DIY repair for this issue? What materials should I buy?

Thanks very much,

Amethyst

Attachments

• Townhouse Siding 19 March 2011.jpg
    Townhouse Siding 19 March 2011.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Townhouse Siding1 19 March 2011.jpg
    Townhouse Siding1 19 March 2011.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Townhouse Siding2 19 March 2011.jpg
    Townhouse Siding2 19 March 2011.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 2
I think you need to post more info on what's above/at deck level. Looks like the deck installer cut the siding a little too much and decided to leave it that way. I have to assume this is a 2nd floor deck. If you can post a picture of deck level where it meets the wall, it would help. There should be a "Z" shaped piece (or looks like side view of a chair w/o lower rear legs) of flashing where the siding meets the deck. This needs to be inserted under siding and over fascia deck board. For what's in the picture, you need to replace this piece of siding and have it cut to properly cover the area. You can put a scrap piece and slide it in between the wood/siding, but this would be a band aid approach for the bottom. It should really be corrected above/at deck floor level.

I won't be able to take another picture till next Saturday, but in the meantime, what should I use to attach the siding patch? As I said, it looks as if whatever used to be there, was glued on but the glue obviously dried out. Should the edges be caulked?

Thanks,

Amethyst

You don't have to post a pic, if you can detail what's at deck floor level would help. There wouldn't be any need for glue in this application if it was done properly that I could think of...in this case, a good flexible caulk would help seal the cut siding in the picture, but it's no guarantee to stop the water leaking in. Normally, all connections would be done w/exterior grade nails or screws. Maybe your stating glue, but it's caulk, unless an exterior glue was use to join some wood joint? But I don't see any in your pics.

Caulk always must be maintained. It is not a fix where flashing is indicated.

Got it, flashing. Metal or rubber?

Back
Top Bottom