What is Your Post-FIRE Profession?

Arnie

Recycles dryer sheets
Now that you are FIRE'd what do you list as your profession on forms that ask? What do you tell people who ask? I imagine in some cases a simple"retired" is appropriate, and in others you can avoid twenty questions with a clever answer?

Now that you are FIRE'd what do you list as your profession on forms that ask? What do you tell people who ask? I imagine in some cases a simple"retired" is appropriate, and in others you can avoid twenty questions with a clever answer?
I simply use the word "retired". I earned it. Many seek it but don't achieve it (e.g. they think/will work till they die).

For me, it's a "badge of honor" and I am proud to use it.

There is no need for a "clever answer". The days of trying to impress folks with a title or j*b description are long past...

On my 1040 tax form, I list my occupation as "retired" because that is sufficient. On most forms that is what I list, unless I perceive some possible advantage to listing my occupation as "retired oceanographer".

In conversations, I say I am a retired oceanographer because people enjoy having a topic for conversation. Then they can ask me where I worked, or about oceanographic topics, or how I like retirement.

I never use a clever answer. Too much effort! :LOL:

I am 62 with gray hair, but if I were younger to the point that "retired" might raise eyebrows, I'd say something different. I'd probably say I was financially independant but previously an oceanographer. Or, some people say "investment advisor" (with one client, not completely a fib).

I am 62 with gray hair
Not that I don't admire your avatar but I can't quite figure this one out (not that I have any clue regarding the opposite sex). On another forum I frequent many of the older women seem to use avatars of much younger highly attractive women. Oh well, I'll remain forever clueless

Sometimes I write, "retired" and sometimes I write "none." There is no pattern.

On another forum I frequent many of the older women seem to use avatars of much younger highly attractive women. Oh well, I'll remain forever clueless
Nothing wrong with that. I saw W2R's "picture" in a local newspaper (Botox?) add.

For comparison, I'll just show you what I look like (really, it's me :LOL: ):

Attachments

• hugh2.jpg
    hugh2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 420
Since my FIRE was to be fairly short-lived (since I'm only in my 20s), I expected to just get away with saying I'm on sabbatical. But now the things I'm interested in and have been doing since I've been sans job have potentially just turned into a job. So...amazing how things work out, I guess.

I look young for my age and I plan to retire before 50 therefore I will just say i'm unemployed. It's the truth.

Or as someone stated on here some time ago, I could say i'm a private portfolio manager. Also true.

Since my FIRE was to be fairly short-lived (since I'm only in my 20s), I expected to just get away with saying I'm on sabbatical. But now the things I'm interested in and have been doing since I've been sans job have potentially just turned into a job. So...amazing how things work out, I guess.
And as you turn older, the more life will be "amazing" to you (take it from an old phart :ROFLMAO: )...

Not that I don't admire your avatar but I can't quite figure this one out (not that I have any clue regarding the opposite sex). On another forum I frequent many of the older women seem to use avatars of much younger highly attractive women. Oh well, I'll remain forever clueless

Interesting observation, given that several men on this forum have avatars of younger men or celebrities too.

Remember when the forum used the other software, and we had default avatars? I used the Eva Habermann avatar, because I thought it conveyed sympathetic understanding and interest in a conversation. Unlike many here, I am very open about my avatar and even explain it on my profile.

I didn't choose it from the very limited selection of avatars simply because Eva Habermann was younger than I was. I am proud of my age. I am one of the very few women here who does NOT dye her hair and knock herself out trying to look younger than she is.

I have tried numerous times to change my avatar, but the pleas that result from male members of the forum touch my heart so I always return to Eva. :rolleyes: But since you object, how about this avatar?

Last edited:
The last form I actually had to fill out was for the dentist. I just put a dash through "Occupation".

I have an engineering degree, so I am considering Bucket List Engineer where it's necessary to declare...:cool:

On forms I write retired but in conversation I frequently say that I sell on ebay .Which makes for a fun conversation .

I am 62 with gray hair, but if I were younger to the point that "retired" might raise eyebrows, I'd say something different. I'd probably say I was financially independant but previously an oceanographer. Or, some people say "investment advisor" (with one client, not completely a fib).

I am 56 and incredibly good looking so I say "Playboy" ;) (which my wife always mis-spells as "Prat" for some reason).

I always just say retired. I just completed the British Census form last week, and put Retired. I don't see any reason to say otherwise. I'm proud to be retired.

Reactions: W2R
I've only had one person ask so far. I said unemployed by choice. Which naturally led to me explaining I was retired. I also found that "I'm unemployed" works well with the guy that hits me up because he's out of gas about once a month in town.

I don't put pictures of my actual face on the Web, but it is not because I am ashamed of my age (middle) or appearance (not bad). If I could find a picture of someone who resembles me, is about my age, and is holding a giant amethyst geode, I'd use that :cool:

Amethyst

II am one of the very few women here who does NOT dye her hair and knock herself out trying to look younger than she is.

Interesting observation, given that several men on this forum have avatars of younger men or celebrities too.

Remember when the forum used the other software, and we had default avatars? I used the Eva Habermann avatar, because I thought it conveyed sympathetic understanding and interest in a conversation. Unlike many here, I am very open about my avatar and even explain it on my profile.

I didn't choose it from the very limited selection of avatars simply because Eva Habermann was younger than I was. I am proud of my age. I am one of the very few women here who does NOT dye her hair and knock herself out trying to look younger than she is.

I have tried numerous times to change my avatar, but the pleas that result from male members of the forum touch my heart so I always return to Eva. :rolleyes: But since you object, how about this avatar?

There be another. :cool:

I don't put pictures of my actual face on the Web, but it is not because I am ashamed of my age (middle) or appearance (not bad). If I could find a picture of someone who resembles me, is about my age, and is holding a giant amethyst geode, I'd use that :cool:

Amethyst

Me too! Or in my case, someone my age who looks like me but is not me, and looks as sympathetic, understanding, and interested in the conversation as Eva does in that pose.

I love your giant amethyst geode. :)

There be another. :cool:

Oh good! Having seen your photo, I think you are uniquely beautiful just as you are. :)

Last edited:
Mostly I say "Retired," but since I look quite a bit younger than my age (seriously), I often get skepticism at that. When that happens, I just say "I still do a little consulting." and that usually takes care of it. The fact is that I could do a lot of consulting if I wanted to, but free time is such a precious commodity that I keep it to an absolute minimum, and only for people I like.

Back
Top Bottom