Search not Working

John Galt III

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi,

I tried searching for the keyword "alone" and "Alone" in title only. Got zero matches found, though clearly there is a title with the word "Alone" in it.

Tried same search for keyword "turns", got plenty of hits.

Why won't keyword "Alone" be found ?

I noticed that after searching on "alone" the search engine tells me,
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : alone

Try a less common word. "Solitary" works nicely.

for some reason, google often works better than the native search on many sites: Google

If you are looking for a search so simple even a caveman could do it (and you are viewing the board using v2.0, the "green screen") just scroll to the top of the page and enter your key word(s) where it says "powered by Google"...

Thanks, guys. I went straight to the caveman approach suggested by REWahoo, and it found "alone" no problem (although it searches everything, not just the title). ERD50, Thanks for the tip about google site search. Did not know that. Thanks again, JG III

If you are looking for a search so simple even a caveman could do it (and you are viewing the board using v2.0, the "green screen") just scroll to the top of the page and enter your key word(s) where it says "powered by Google"...

That was interesting! I have to remember this.

Silly question (?) but since the Search on the drop down menu does not work or is not all that good and since the Powered by Google search does work why don't you remove the drop down menu search option? I would never use the Powered by Google search because I'd expect the site's search to be the best search.

You know I am an ISTJ so I have to think this way. :greetings10: I couldn't sleep knowing this needs to be done! See in my mind it needs to be done but that's me.

The vBulletin (board software) search does have a few features not available in the Google search - at least not to someone of my limited skill level. For example, using "Advanced search" on the drop-down menu allows you to search for posts by an individual poster, by date, by topic only, in only one forum, etc. That's why it's best to leave both search options available.

Back
Top Bottom