Lousy day... and I'm insensitive

Walt34

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Well, now when DW says "I feel like I got hit by a Mack truck" she has some credibility because she did.

Driving over to her Dad's to do some yard work yesterday a Honda ran a stop sign. DW saw it coming and slowed so she didn't hit the Honda, but the Honda got nailed by a Mack dump truck going in the opposite direction. The impact with that car caused the Mack truck to skid to his left and hit DW's car. The Honda Accord is probably totaled. This all happened at low speeds, from all descriptions the driver of the dump truck was exercising due caution going downhill toward the intersection and was going at most 25 mph.

The good things:

1. DW is not hurt other than some soreness, tomorrow she is seeing the doctor.
2. The Honda does in fact have insurance.
3. The insurance is with the same company we have, so this should not be an issue.

So we now have a Toyota Yaris as a rental until DW's car is either fixed or declared totaled. If it's only the fender and bumper we expect to get it back. If there is significant damage to drive train components (it's front-wheel drive) then it may be totaled. Dang, we did not want to be new-car shopping for about another 8 or 10 years!

The bad things:

1. While DW was trying to call me on the cell phone I was out enjoying the nice weather on the motorcycle so now she's sort-of mad at me for not answering. Her brother, who worked a 16-hour shift the night before, came to get her, but by then I was home, got the message, and could get over there to pick her up.

2. And another thing: DW's SIL was the first one to reach me and said "DW's been in a really bad accident". Now, because of my background, "really bad accident" means they had to cut the car apart to get you out, you are at best semiconscious, have multiple fractures, probable internal injuries, bleeding from the mouth and ears, and are being airlifted to shock-trauma. To SIL, "really bad accident" means you can't drive the car home. So me and SIL had a discussion about defining terms. DW and SIL think I'm insensitive.

3. Now DW doesn't want me riding a motorcycle. At all.

What a lousy day.

At least I did have the sense to suggest taking DW out for a steak dinner.

glad your dW wasn't injured severely....I think if you both have the same company, no deductible, however since DW wasn't at fault, no ded anyway.

Do you wear a helmet?

So glad she is okay. I hope she's not too shook up.

Let us know how you like the Yaris :) . And the mini phone you're going to have surgically installed in your ear drum for motorcycle riding.

"She was in a really bad accident" had to be terrible for you to hear.

Thank goodness she wasn't hurt! :eek:

Don't worry about the rest... it will all work out after a while and thank goodness she is still in one piece. Good move with the steak dinner.

OMG. "A really bad accident" would have had me thinking the worst. Anything less than near death and I would much more expect to hear "there's been an accident, but DW is okay" followed by whatever details and injuries are relevant.

Glad to hear that she is okay.

Sorry it has been such a bad day. Your wife is fearful for you to ride your motorcycle, because she saw firsthand how quickly one can get in an accident, without it being their fault. I am sure that you already knew that from your years on the job. Stay safe and tomorrow should be a better day!

Yes Walt, I am really glad it seems to be OK. I'm with you, you are not insenstive, you just don't want to have an unnecesary heart attack.

Ha

Yes, Walt y’all did have a lousy day. I sure am glad your DW is ok…I know that is a relief to you.

Now here are a few thoughts from a woman that has a motorcycle ridin' DH and mmm, hmmm…never hears or checks the cell.

I imagine at some point she has thought about the accident and could see you getting creamed by a dump truck. This would be reason enough for her to not want you to ride your bike anymore. But I believe the real reason is because she could not get in touch with you. You were the one she wanted by her side in her time of dilemma…no one else…she wanted you.

You happened to be riding the bike and didn’t answer your cell. She has put the blame on the bike.

Are you insensitive?...nah…you’re just a man. :)

I believe with a little time your DW will come around and you’ll be enjoying your bike once again.

Walt, glad the DW is OK. Car/truck accidents can leave a mess as you know quite well. "Bad Accident" means the same to me as you...entrapment, serious bodily injury, Med-Evac or high speed ambulance trip to Trauma Center.

My BIL has a bike and says he always uses a Bluetooth with is cell phone to be sure to receive calls from DW while out for a ride. It has saved his [-]bike[/-] bacon more times than he can remember. Women just don't get being out of communication.

Hope all resolves itself to your benefit and DW is truly fine. Let the bike discussion cool for a while and investigate alternative communication devices so you can keep your [-]freedom[/-] bike.

Glad DW is OK. Then I can chuckle at the Mack Truck line.

Sorry to hear about the accident Walt, but I'm very pleased to hear that your DW wasn't hurt.

If she is now objecting to you riding your bike because she thinks that being hit by a Mack truck on a bike, even at slow speeds is really bad news then you may have a tough time persuading her otherwise. If it is because because she couldn't contact you then you can get a blue tooth set up as suggested above, and convince her to let you out on the bike again.

Sorry that happened Walt... good to hear she did not get seriously hurt.

Walt, I am glad DW emerged relatively unscathed. I think SIL should have worded things differently so that you knew right off that DW was okay.
I second or third the suggestion on getting a Bluetooth.

"While DW was trying to call me on the cell phone I was out enjoying the nice weather on the motorcycle so now she's sort-of mad at me for not answering."

Are you married to my wife:confused:? I don't own a motorcycle, but she gets mad at me if she can't reach me when I'm out running. Glad she's OK, and kudos to you for the brilliant "let's go out to dinner" tactic.

DW and SIL think I'm insensitive.

3. Now DW doesn't want me riding a motorcycle. At all.

BUT
2. The Honda does in fact have insurance.
3. The insurance is with the same company we have, so this should not be an issue.

All's well that ends well.

Don't even mention the bike for a while. Then take it back up like there was never an issue.

To be honest, I stopped paying attention after seeing your DW is OK. You should too. The rest is noise.

So what kind of tank will your DW want to replace the Accord with?

The good things:

Thank goodness she's OK.

The bad things:

1. While DW was trying to call me on the cell phone I was out enjoying the nice weather on the motorcycle so now she's sort-of mad at me for not answering. Her brother, who worked a 16-hour shift the night before, came to get her, but by then I was home, got the message, and could get over there to pick her up.

2. And another thing: DW's SIL was the first one to reach me and said "DW's been in a really bad accident". Now, because of my background, "really bad accident" means they had to cut the car apart to get you out, you are at best semiconscious, have multiple fractures, probable internal injuries, bleeding from the mouth and ears, and are being airlifted to shock-trauma. To SIL, "really bad accident" means you can't drive the car home. So me and SIL had a discussion about defining terms. DW and SIL think I'm insensitive.

3. Now DW doesn't want me riding a motorcycle. At all..

1. Second the bluetooth idea.

2. IMO, this shows your are sensitive. Hearing "really bad accident" had you worried sick about her. Better message would have been "She's OK, but has been in an accident". In situations like this, people should always start out by saying the loved one is OK before delivering the bad news.

3. Can't say I blame her. Motorcycles are dangerous. I suspect she's been uncomfortable with your motorcycle riding for some time now. The accident reinforced her fears and provided an opportunity to express her discomfort.

That was very thoughtful. You're a keeper :flowers:

Walt, you're not insensitive, your DW is fortunate, your SIL is easily excited, you'll not have to give up your motorcycle, and after all that, you even got a steak for dinner. Sucks about the car, though.

Walt, I'm very glad that it wasn't as bad as it could have been, Mack truck and all.

About this -
Many years ago my brother borrowed my car (with my permission) and had an accident where he rear ended a Corvette, of all things. The other driver had the same insurance as us and that meant that our deductible was waived. Not sure why, but it was a pleasant surprise. I don't know if that's a standard insurance perk, I don't remember it being a feature of our policy.

Nevermind, I see she was not at fault, so your deductible would not apply anyways.

So happy your wife was not seriously injured! However, speaking as car-phobic me, had I been your wife, I would have felt like I'd been in a serious accident. Understand your beef with SIL, but from a female perspective, take your wife's feelings seriously and pamper her a bit.

It may have been a lousy day, but count your blessings. DW is OK!!! She needs hugs and kisses and flowers. And she will need your support to start driving again.

"Really bad accident" is a phrase that can stop a person's heart. If used at all, it should be reserved for things that involve shock-trauma, lawsuits, etc.

Amethyst

Update:

She liked the steak dinner, that was a good move. This morning I made her a chocolate cake. Understand that in this house anything chocolate, especially chocolate cake, "evaporates" very quickly. It wasn't cooled before chunks began evaporating. As most chocoholics know chocolate has amazing curative powers.

The car is fixable and we expect to have it back early next week. DW did not want a new car, saying "It only had 120k miles on it. I was just getting used to it." Yeah, she's a keeper! (DW, not the car.)

Dr. said she's fine, can get x-rays if she wants for peace of mind but didn't see any need for it, and expect some mild soreness for a few days.

Deductible is waived by the insurance co. since they know I'd just file a claim for it anyway so why bother going through the paperwork.

Re one question, on the bike I wear not only a full-face helmet but a full set of mesh and armored riding gear and riding boots.

I will look into the bluetooth phone set for the helmet.

So I think all will be well soon.

Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom