Who Is Buying?

Pete44

Dryer sheet aficionado
Sitting on the sidelines with a lot more cash than I want to have because the market is so flaky. Where do you hide from the volatility? I'll be looking at FAX, FCO and TGINX when the market opens on Monday after a big down day Friday. Anyone see any bargains out there?

I buy twice a month as usual via 401k contributions. Other than that, I am not out of balance and stuff I would like to buy is not quite cheap enough for me to liquidate bonds and jump in, aside from what I have already bought (AXL, most recently).

On Friday, I bought a few blue chip stocks that had become cheap enough to interest me.

Like brewer I buy twice a month. It will be whatever needs to be boosted to maintain my asset allocation, I'm guessing total international.

DD

Being retired I will shift things around but it's more rebalancing.

Despite I say I won't market time, I am close to moving some from my Stable Value fund to an index fund that tracks the S&P 500 in my 401k, I kept some money in the 401k when I retired prior to 59 1/2 and never moved it. Yeah this would be a market timing move, looking for about 1250 or 1260 on the S&P 500 and I'd leave it there until mid/3rd week in July then move it back to the Stable Value fund. If it goes lower to say 1210 I'd move some more. Seems we are over sold, time for a bounce, earnings reports out in early July, bonds yielding nothing with nav increases with yield increases that are due one day but it is summer and I suspect July-October will be a dangerous time to try and time anything.

If I am wrong, buy and things go down and stay there I can wait until they recover. I am not moving a lot, maybe changing from say 35/65 to 40/60 or 50/50 at the most. While I try to stay the course I feel like gambling just a little, it's an acceptable risk, not like going to 60/40 or 70/30!

Anyone see any bargains out there?
This board is nowhere near enough doomy & gloomy to start buying.

But when prices dip down below their long-term averages then I'll buy more of our Dow Dividend and international value ETFs (DVY, EFV).

Y'all have two or three months left to get some really good despair going before Wall Street execs come back from their Hamptons...

Staying the course. Still buying regularly as I accumulate on my preset allocation.

I put myself all in last week...no guts no glory

Went "shopping" on Friday and scooped up some more of a Canadian utility stock that I have which pays a nice dividend.

I am finished selling but not close to buying yet.

I went out, not in. I rebalanced from the run up.

Only mutual fund investor here along w/ TSP. Sold off chunk of SP 500 Index and moved all my TSP into G-Fund back in April-May. Waiting for a major fall to move back into Small Cap. Staying put in my other funds since I recently rebalanced and moved into a couple of new sectors (energy).

Sitting on the sidelines with a lot more cash than I want to have because the market is so flaky. Where do you hide from the volatility? I'll be looking at FAX, FCO and TGINX when the market opens on Monday after a big down day Friday. Anyone see any bargains out there?

DH/I sold some of our gold and silver (held in GLD and SLV) a couple months ago, and I've been waiting to buy into a healthcare REIT. I'm still researching, with an eye on the market...I'd like to see it pull back a little further.

Been buying TGINX,PONDX, MLPY and GABUX. Sold about 1/2 my individual stock positions, moving to mutual funds and CEFs.

veremchuka said:
Being retired I will shift things around but it's more rebalancing.

Despite I say I won't market time, I am close to moving some from my Stable Value fund to an index fund that tracks the S&P 500 in my 401k, I kept some money in the 401k when I retired prior to 59 1/2 and never moved it. Yeah this would be a market timing move, looking for about 1250 or 1260 on the S&P 500 and I'd leave it there until mid/3rd week in July then move it back to the Stable Value fund. If it goes lower to say 1210 I'd move some more. Seems we are over sold, time for a bounce, earnings reports out in early July, bonds yielding nothing with nav increases with yield increases that are due one day but it is summer and I suspect July-October will be a dangerous time to try and time anything.

If I am wrong, buy and things go down and stay there I can wait until they recover. I am not moving a lot, maybe changing from say 35/65 to 40/60 or 50/50 at the most. While I try to stay the course I feel like gambling just a little, it's an acceptable risk, not like going to 60/40 or 70/30!

Im only buying S&P below 1150. And then increase my investment for every further 100 point drop. I'm no longer an investor above 1150, with the exception of dividends.

I have been making final adjustments to prepare for FIRE over the last year. I rebalanced to our strategic target over the last month.

We do not need to touch our equity holdings for years.

The only equity I am buying right now is when a mutual fund manager rebalances (we hold a couple of balanced funds).

Other than that I will rebalance to our strategic target (buy equity) if the correction takes my equity position under a certain threshold.

You nor anyone else can predict what the market will do, why would you sit it out? When will you jump back in? How will you know?
Set an AA and stay the course.

I don't hide from the volatility, I embrace it.

Outside of tiny amounts in some of my 401k mutual funds, I've never owned a bond.

Up and down, up and down. Buy high, buy low. I've been buying stocks twice a month for 16 years.

If the cross-section of American and international businesses don't prosper, I doubt that any of those safe havens will be any good anyway.

Where do you hide from the volatility?

Still 100% individual equities (since 1993). All still increasing earnings and dividends. Hiding primarily in JNJ, PG, ABT, SYY, ADP, MSFT, KO, ... . Not really buying or selling since my spending pretty much matches my dividends.

Still 100% individual equities (since 1993). All still increasing earnings and dividends. Hiding primarily in JNJ, PG, ABT, SYY, ADP, MSFT, KO, ... . Not really buying or selling since my spending pretty much matches my dividends.

Bigger gonads than Evil Kenevil ever had.:tongue:

Bigger gonads than Evil Kenevil ever had.:tongue:

Not really I think this is probably much safer than portfolio of US Treasury bills and even CDs of sustaining a retirement.

The stocks he named all have yields of between 2.8 to 3.8% making them competitive or higher than 10 year treasuries and not much below AAA corporate bonds. The one thing we know for a fact is that bonds coupons have zero chance of increasing over time, inflation or no inflation. In contrast pretty much all of the companies he named have a long sometimes 100+ year history of raising dividends.

I'm quite a bit more confident that people will continue to buy Coke, Pampers, Tide, Johnson baby shampoo, Band-Aids during my lifetime than that Uncle Sam will continue to pay its debts. We are after all only 52 days away from a debt crisis, and the media is talking pretty much exclusively about Wiener's wiener.

Futures up this morning. We will see if it is sustained. I was hoping to scoop some more F in the 11s, but perhaps that is not in the cards.

Back
Top Bottom