Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Other topics (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/)
-   -   New cyclist: my butt hurts (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/new-cyclist-my-butt-hurts-57139.html)

brewer12345 07-28-2011 07:55 AM

New cyclist: my butt hurts

We moved a house that backs up to something like 100 miles of trails. I bought a bike last weekend and am having fun, but i find that, um, seat pain can be an issue. Am I doing something wrong? Will I just develop calluses in a while?

Midpack 07-28-2011 08:01 AM

Make sure your seat height and position is right, may be a factor. Any bike shop can help, but you can get guidance online.

There are seats with gel built into them that make it a little more comfortable, but in my experience it just takes a little time to get used to any bike seat, a few weeks at worst...

HFWR 07-28-2011 08:05 AM

Seat height, and seat angle, are factors. Make sure you're sitting on your tailbone, and not more "sensitive" areas... :laugh:

Maybe some padded bike shorts, or a gel seat, but I find the extra padding, while helpful, may also lead to reduced blood flow to the aforementioned areas. Dropping the nose on my seat helped me.

Meadbh 07-28-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewer12345 (Post 1093541)
We moved a house that backs up to something like 100 miles of trails. I bought a bike last weekend and am having fun, but i find that, um, seat pain can be an issue. Am I doing something wrong? Will I just develop calluses in a while?

We don't have enough information to do an analysis. Is the seat too high? Angle wrong? Do you have the right type of tires for mountain biking? Is the tire pressure correct? Is your behind as soft as a baby's bottom?

donheff 07-28-2011 08:59 AM

Spandex Brewer, spandex - high quality shorts with good pads make a huge difference. And you don't want a cushy seat unless you are just going for short rides. Also, ask someone who knows bikes to help you make sure your seat height and setback are correct.

Tigger 07-28-2011 09:02 AM

When I started cycling again, after not having done that for some years, I had the same issue. It went away after one or two weeks. So I wouldn't panic.

TromboneAl 07-28-2011 09:16 AM

A Comfortable Saddle

Nemo2 07-28-2011 09:20 AM

A Great Saddle

WM 07-28-2011 09:21 AM

Don't know anything about it firsthand, but there was an article recently in the NY Times about noseless saddles (bike seats) that are supposedly better for you.

Tigger 07-28-2011 09:25 AM

Not entirely related, but I'm seeing it all over the web this week...

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo...inlvo1_500.jpg

HFWR 07-28-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigger (Post 1093609)
Not entirely related, but I'm seeing it all over the web this week...

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo...inlvo1_500.jpg

+1000

brewer12345 07-28-2011 10:06 AM

Thanks. It is possible I am just not seasoned enough. The seat height is right, so I will tinker a bit with position and handlebar height Plus I will see if it goes away with more conditioning.

Bestwifeever 07-28-2011 10:18 AM

On the other hand, Tigger, speaking of happy bike seats (and lots more skin): Yahoo! Image Detail for - http://scienceblogs.com/neurotopia/lance-armstrong-bike.jpg

aaronc879 07-28-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewer12345 (Post 1093639)
Thanks. It is possible I am just not seasoned enough. The seat height is right, so I will tinker a bit with position and handlebar height Plus I will see if it goes away with more conditioning.

You don't mention if your wearing padded shorts? I wouldn't ride a bike without them...all the difference in the world! If you don't think you should be seen in spandex, as I most certainly should not, you can wear polyester basketball shorts over the bike shorts. That's what I do. It's comfortable on the backside and not too warm.

arebelspy 07-28-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigger
When I started cycling again, after not having done that for some years, I had the same issue. It went away after one or two weeks. So I wouldn't panic.

+1

Before you go spend a bunch of money on a new hobby you might not keep up and on stuff that may be unnecessary (padded seat, special shorts, etc) try getting used to it. Your body will adjust.

Has happened to me recently, and again after I took a break for a few weeks, then biked again, but adjustment was a day the second time, not a week. Like when you haven't worked out in awhile.

I'd imagine your legs were sore too, that'll (mostly) go away too.

TromboneAl 07-28-2011 12:00 PM

And in case you didn't know, one does NOT wear underwear with padded shorts.

After my 2-month layoff after my bike crash, it took me six rides and 150 miles before the seat was comfortable again.

MikeD 07-28-2011 12:52 PM

As a person who knows nothing about exercise from experience, let me add that I have heard that you are not supposed to wear bluejeans type pants whilst bike riding due to the large seam pressing against an important blood vessel.

Mike D.

arebelspy 07-28-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD
As a person who knows nothing about exercise from experience, let me add that I have heard that you are not supposed to wear bluejeans type pants whilst bike riding due to the large seam pressing against an important blood vessel.

Mike D.

Probably depends on how tight the jeans you wear are. :D

brewer12345 07-31-2011 08:20 AM

After reading all your comments and Al's linked article, I adjusted my seat so that it tilts forward more and the contact points are the bones in my ass rather than the soft bits to the fore. DW and I went on a date last night that included about 10 miles of trails (along with dinner, margaritas and lovely scenery) and what is mostly sore today is my legs. Thanks for the tips.

harley 07-31-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 1093721)

Mike D.

Is this what causes extreme numbness in the lower frontal region? I have such a problem with this that I don't ride very far at all. But I'm always wearing jeans. I don't do long rides, just little neighborhood jaunts, I'd feel like a fool in spandex.