Anyone Diving in Today??

JPatrick

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Stocks that is..
This is really getting ugly, but I found the courage to take on a position in DVY earlier.. Difficult to go beyond that unless we get a solid upside close today.

Nope. I'm a scardey cat.

Always buying on the dips..........:)

I bought PEP and MMM over last couple of days. Thinking about buying other stocks in my list if it dips further. If not, no big deal. Will sell PEP and MMM on the way up.

Going to rebalance if my allocation is off by 10% (it's getting close so I'm really hoping this does happen).

Earlier in the day, I was prepared to buy back into some of my mutual funds, but with the way the market seems to be bouncing back, I've decided to hold off.

The only move I made was yesterday, about 5 mins before Wall Street closed, I did a slight rebalance in one of my old 401K's, selling off a bit of a bond fund to buy a little Boeing common stock. I only have the bond fund and the stock fund in that 401k, so I shift a bit of money back and forth now and then, depending on where the prices are.

As usual hindsight is 20-20. I wish I had cash now instead of one month ago.
I went with a lump sum purchase (about 10% of our net worth) of VTI (Total Stock Market) on 7/7 and one month later it's 8% down.
The funny thing is that 10% of NW is a decision point for me when deciding DCA vs. lump sum. With more I would DCA, with less I would lump sum. I was undecided @ 10%, but laziness won and I just bought it.

I love Marzetti's..........:)

img_1096086_0_1875a96138b88a23a03b1ba7484199fb.jpg

Have been nibbling at a few names, especially Ford. Today I bought some call options since I see the fix appears to be topping out. Being very gradual, though.

Building a small position in XBI (SPDR Biotech ETF) with this drop. Major pharmas pipeline of new drugs has been slowing and I believe that there will be more acquisitions of biotechs going forward that show promise in their R&D efforts.

If someone feels like taking a flyer today ,FTK might fill the bill.
They announce earnings tomorrow so today is a real crap shoot.
The company is in the drilling supply business. I've owned it most of 2011 and now have Aug 10 calls written on it.
It took a dive today (5%) I think because oil has sold off. I had expected it to rise into earnings.
The day after earnings won't be quiet for sure.
If I didn't already own it, I'd be trying to figure a way to catch it going up and sell a AUG or Sep 10 call.

Finally put the IRA contributions to work in an international value ETF (EFV) to bring up its asset allocation. It promptly dropped below my limit, so there's still room for more tomorrow.

I'd buy more DVY at these prices if I needed it-- nice yield. But once I finish putting the IRA cash to work, I think I'm done.

Tried to buy a few shares of T but it never hit my limit. Just for the day, will review tomorrow.

Finally started accumulating shares of Abbott Labs (ABT) at less than $50/share that I have been watching for a while. Also added to positions in ADP, VE and WM at prices below my average cost. I still have a fair amount of cash sitting at the brokerage in anticipation of more sale prices.

Yesterday, around 3:30 PM, bought some Conoco and Exxon-Mobil. DRIPs. We'll see how it goes,but, to date, I do like dividend stocks.

Rich (with fingers crossed)

I've been aggressively buying...

July 29th - NLY, 220 @ $15.97 & 600 @ $16.51 Now @ $17.93 & 15% divy on top.
Aug 1 - ABT, 200 @ $50.48 and VSVIX 2000 @ $16.13 (small value fund)
Aug 2 - VFINX, 142 @ $115.63 (s&p index fund)

8 days down is my signal to buy in...NLY was a gift that day...just like all the mREITS.

My TGT, CTL, TOT & PNRA has been suckin' wind though...still up appx. 5% for the year vs. 0 to down for Nas & Dow.

Did that a week ago, when the TSX dropped below 13K. Down to 7 years spending in Bond/cash. Next jump point, TSX 12K.

Not exactly diving in, but I've been using this pullback to wade into some of the stocks that I've been watching that I think are attractively priced. For example, yesterday I sold some Sep 21 puts on INTC for 0.65. If I get assigned, I effectively own the stock at 20.35, which is a better than 4% dividend yield on a blue-chip company that has been growing its dividend at double-digit rates over the past few years and is selling at a PE less than 10.

I always wonder about these threads where folks say they are buying.

Unless somebody sends me some sort of money making machine, I don't have any more money to invest (fully invested).

I always wonder about these threads where folks say they are buying.

Unless somebody sends me some sort of money making machine, I don't have any more money to invest (fully invested).
In reality, everyone is fully invested.
It is not out of the question to consider that stash under the mattress an investment. It's secure (got lock?) and it is even possible that those dollars could appreciate. Security and expectation of return--Both elements of investing.

I think when most people say they are buying/investing, they are really saying, "I'm shifting my investment dollars."

I am nibbling right now - XOM, PG, MDT, GE (sold some munis yesterday)

Back
Top Bottom