Train Tours

Stevewc

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi Group,
Have any of you, ever taken the train tours throughout the Utah/mountainous areas and national parks? Some trips seem to tour several different parks and cover a lot of territory.
I've always thought those might be great trips.
Steve

I did a round trip sleeper car from the midwest to LA. Almost 2 days in the train each way. In hindsight, I would only take the train one way and / or go coach but get off the train to sleep.

Seeing the country by train is really cool. Train food and train sleeping are quite unpleasant.

DH and I are taking a train tour out of Denver in September. Booked it through Alki Tours in Seattle. We have previously taken a Copper Canyon (Mexico) with them and enjoyed it immensely.

X2 for Copper Canyon Mexico. Last time I ate on a train was in the 70's in France & Spain. Good country to see, good food, adventure all around.

I haven't, but have heard the trans-canadian run is quite beautiful and may do that when we retire, especially since my grand parents were Canadian.

We took the train from Vancouver to Banff for a ski trip one year. To sit in the observation car and watch the train's headlight reflect off the snow at night was worth the trip all by itself.

When we researched Copper Canyon trips we discovered west to east was rated best.

I enjoy eating in a train while watching the scenery go by. Also, in a real sleeper compartment, I sleep great. I did Michigan to San Diego once. It can get a little long.

I did a midwest to Cal. round trip not long ago. If I ever do it again, I'll upgrade from a roomette to a full bedroom sleeper. I found the prices very affordable. The scenery was great as you get to see things not normally seen from the highways. The food was ok, but nothing to brag about. I slept fine for the most part. The walk from the sleeper to the diner was always interesting unless the train happened to be stopped. Reminded me of an amusement park ride.

Just checked Amtrak.

Emeryville, CA to Salt Lake City

$111 per person plus $475 for a room.

Looks like most everyone enjoyed the train trips.
The suggestions (tours) you all made look like they would be fun.
Must remember to up grade to a sleeper car, seems to be the main rule.:)

Thanks for all the reply's and tips,
Steve

Steve, there are several versions of 'sleepers'. Get the one that's a click up from the roomette.
Visit the Amtrak site.

I did a round trip sleeper car from the midwest to LA. Almost 2 days in the train each way. In hindsight, I would only take the train one way and / or go coach but get off the train to sleep.

Seeing the country by train is really cool. Train food and train sleeping are quite unpleasant.

I did a midwest to Cal. round trip not long ago. If I ever do it again, I'll upgrade from a roomette to a full bedroom sleeper. I found the prices very affordable. The scenery was great as you get to see things not normally seen from the highways. The food was ok, but nothing to brag about. I slept fine for the most part.

TromboneAl said:
I enjoy eating in a train while watching the scenery go by. Also, in a real sleeper compartment, I sleep great. I did Michigan to San Diego once. It can get a little long.

Different strokes, obviously.

DW is interested in one of these trips. I think I might enjoy it one way, but would probably go out of my mind on the return trip. I get antsy, can't just sit, read and enjoy scenery for more than an hour.

Is it feasible to get off and stay in a hotel, and then catch up the next day? IIRC many of these are scheduled just one per day, the same time each day, so if you got off at 6PM, you'd just be getting back on at 6PM the next day, and facing the same sleeping situation.

If we do it, I'll probably plan on flying back, but DW will not get on a plane.

-ERD50

The two-day, private tour train through the National Parks or a wine-tasting trip is usually kept quite comfortable for the high-class clientele it serves.

On a long-trip, say from Chicago to San Francisco, a lot will depend on how you plan for it, and what you expect. If you think it is a cheap alternative to an airplane, then it will be a long trip. I have traveled on Amtrak many times, sometimes 30-days for a circular route around the country. Amtrak offers special deals at certain times.

The trick to long train travel is being prepared. With lots of time on your hands, it is a good time organize your laptop (and a couple external hard drives), read a few novels, and other activities. I whittle small figures from wood as a hobby. On a train I was free to work undisturbed for hours.

The seats on trains are much larger and way more comfortable than on an airplane. Often the seat next to you is unoccupied. If you bring along two or three pillows and a blanket, you can really set yourself up like a king. There is no limit to carry-on baggage. You can bring plenty of stuff to make yourself comfortable. Consider your wardrobe to make sure you bring your most comfortable clothes.

I was comfortable sleeping in my seat; the back tilts back far. With a blanket and the rocking motion of the train I slept fine. I talked to many old-timers who said they were more comfortable in a vibrating, rocking train than at home... kind of soothes the little aches and pains of old age.

The travel package I took usually allowed for 4 opportunities to get off the train and get a hotel for a couple of days anywhere along the route. The train stops at many locations, so you can stop in little back-woods town somewhere, or get off in downtown Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta and do things you normally would never take the time to do on a normal vacation.

I love it, but good planning and the right attitude is essential to make the trip pleasurable.

The better half and I have been discussing the train trips.
Is there a preferred time of the year for these?
Hope to make the best of it should we go.
Steve

Have any of you stayed in the "roomette"? What did you think about it?

Have any of you stayed in the "roomette"? What did you think about it?
The roomette I traveled in was quite comfy, both for seating and sleeping. The upper bunk was a little cramped, but not too bad. What you don't get with the roomette is private facilities. Roomette passengers share a small restroom at one end of the car and a small shower on the lower deck.
I'll opt for the bedroom on my next trip. It's a bit larger and has private facilities. This link shows the differences.
Amtrak - Sleeping Accommodations

The better half and I have been discussing the train trips.
Is there a preferred time of the year for these?
Hope to make the best of it should we go.
Steve
I don't like cold weather, but a train trip in the winter is really fun (for me). I can take in the cold weather from the cozy warmth of a train car. Amtrak (http://www.amtrak.com) has many packaged deals which are like tours - everything is planned for you. Or multi-stop tickets for 10 days or 30 days where you are free to plan your travel route and where to get off and visit some town or city.

Amtrak has trains that go almost everywhere. Some people like Glacier National Park in the winter, some in the summer. You really have to pick what kind of trip, and to where, that you would like.

Here is a link to a man who really loves trains: http://www.trainwacko.com He and I traveled for many days together on the train. He is kind of a deep thinker and has his philosophy on train travel. Plus stories and other miscellaneous information you might find useful. Make sure you sign his guest book and tell him that Hobo sent you :LOL:

My daughter and I had a roomette when traveling between Berlin and Vienna. I couldn't sleep very well the first night since I was too dumb to figure out how to close the window blind on my lower bunk. So every time we stopped the lights from the stations would shine in on me. The return trip went much better since my so-smart daughter showed me how to close the blind.:D

I was very grateful we were right next to the bathroom since I used it twice each night. My daughter was not happy with that location since she complained of the noise, with people like, me using the bathroom during the night. It sometimes pays to be hard of hearing.:ROFLMAO:

My main concern with train travel, by myself, is getting a hotel and other transportation when needed. Amtrak comes through my town and that's great, but, it comes through very late at night and very early in the morning. The station is only open for about an hour after the train leaves and we don't have good taxi service and walking, by myself, that late, is out of the question.

I've toyed with the idea of flying to Chicago then taking a train.... Probably kind of an expensive way to travel but....

Four years ago we flew to Denver and took the one-day Amtrak trip up through the Rocky Mountains to Salt Lake City -- a 16-hour trip that we still reminisce about. On this California Zephyr train, the seats are on the second story for great views; they were as comfortable as our recliners at home and the window was huge.

What a thrill to see Denver down in the valley as we rode the switchbacks up the mountains! I had no idea that the OTHER side of Colorado was more desert than mountains. And the small ranches we passed with horses corralled in the back.

I admit that we brought snacks rather than buy the food on the train (which I thought was overpriced and probably not so good). So after eating peanuts and apples all day, we were hungry for a good Vegas meal the next morning after we flew there from Salt Lake City to continue our vacation.

This was my only up-close view of the Rockies and this Ohio girl highly recommends it. And the best part -- we only paid $65/person.

My main concern with train travel, by myself, is getting a hotel and other transportation when needed. Amtrak comes through my town and that's great, but, it comes through very late at night and very early in the morning. The station is only open for about an hour after the train leaves and we don't have good taxi service and walking, by myself, that late, is out of the question.

I've toyed with the idea of flying to Chicago then taking a train.... Probably kind of an expensive way to travel but....

I usually planned my stops at big cities at big cities, like Chicago, New Orleans, or Seattle. I stayed at the Wisconsin Dells one time, because it holds memories for me as a kid. Its pretty easy to make hotel arrangements for a town like that - and they were pleased to pick people at the train station any time, day or night. I imagine most small town hotels would be like that. Riding the train just for the fun is quite popular; so some hotels rely on train travelers for business.

I spent an hour or two on the trainwacko site that Hobo included in his post. Very interesting site. Taking only short day light train trips is a really a good idea for me. I could fly to Chicago for short train trips east and Denver for short trips west. The scenery to Chicago probably isn't that great, but Chicago is fun....then on to the east coast. I like what American-Can did. Something to think about.

If you bring binoculars on a train trip to better enjoy the scenery, what power binoculars would be best?

Back
Top Bottom