Miracle anti-perspirant

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Ok, so it's odd, but one pit is absolutely atrocious. Shower, hit the normal underarm areas with anti-stinkum, and in an hour or two, given a bit of stress, I don't even want to be around me. Found a solution. A wipe across the affected areas with white vinegar and those pits are fresh like daisy for a full day. Now I am going to suggest that balsamic vinegar probably isn't the ticket - too sticky, but white vinegar does a treat.

How come I didn't know this in my whole earth hippy days?

Not even joking a little bit.

Interesting, I didn't know white vinegar was good for a deodorant. Does it also stop the perspiration?

You're mention of balsamic vinegar made me think of something funny that happened to me several years ago when I was still working. I got my lunch out of the refrigerator and settled in at my desk to eat my salad. Of course I shook the raspberry vinegarette dressing before pouring it on my salad. Well, the lid was not on tight and flew off with the shaking and dressing flew all over the place with quite a bit on my pants. What a cold mess it all was! People kept walking by and saying that it sure smelled good. After a couple more hours I was so tired of smelling 'good' and decided to leave early to go home and get changed into some clean clothes that didn't smell like salad dressing. Thank goodness the carpet was a dark patterned type and the stains didn't show.

Interesting, I didn't know white vinegar was good for a deodorant. Does it also stop the perspiration?

Don't think it stops perspiration, just kills bacteria and makes (I assume) a hostile environment for same.

Perhaps related - I use apple cider vinegar to keep my dog's ears clean. I think that enough of the stuff gets to the inner ear to keep ear infections at bay.

Vinegar is just a solution of acetic acid.

I would not want to go around smelling like acetic acid all day. There are bacteria/yeast/fungus that will live just fine in acetic acid since it is a good source of carbon. I imagine that anyone who uses vinegar all the time will eventually have a population of such microorganisms.

You could wipe your underarms with alcohol or bleach or with hydrogen peroxide as well. Or why not spray Lysol on a tissue and then wipe your underarms?

My daughter picked up some sort of salt or mineral deodorant a few years ago (3-4 years ago?) in England. It was about 4 or 5 inches high with a domed top. No packaging to it...just a solid, smooth, hard piece of salt or mineral shaped kinda like a little silo. She's still using the thing. I saw one here not long ago in a health food store. That's a lot of milage out of one stick of deodorant.

Vinegar is just a solution of acetic acid.

I would not want to go around smelling like acetic acid all day. There are bacteria/yeast/fungus that will live just fine in acetic acid since it is a good source of carbon. I imagine that anyone who uses vinegar all the time will eventually have a population of such microorganisms.

You could wipe your underarms with alcohol or bleach or with hydrogen peroxide as well. Or why not spray Lysol on a tissue and then wipe your underarms?

Nor would I care to go around smelling like acetic acid. This works and doesn't bother my skin. I tried hydrogen peroxide when the vinegar was suggested, as I use it on my teeth and it's scent free. Didn't work. Know how bleach smell persists and bleaching clothing is an issue. Skin sensitivity and smell are also concerns with Lysol, skin drying and the waste of alcohol argue against booze's use. White vinegar has worked for me.

I've also tried the salt stick. White vinegar knocks out my fine manly drop a skunk to it's knees odor.

I love white vinegar for household cleaning but never thought of this use! Bleach and Lysol are not substances I'd want to use on my body. But how about antibacterial wipes? They have brands for household cleaning and hand disinfection. Might also consider baby wipes. Might be a bit more convenient.

My daughter picked up some sort of salt or mineral deodorant a few years ago (3-4 years ago?) in England. It was about 4 or 5 inches high with a domed top. No packaging to it...just a solid, smooth, hard piece of salt or mineral shaped kinda like a little silo. She's still using the thing. I saw one here not long ago in a health food store. That's a lot of milage out of one stick of deodorant.

I used the salt crystal as a deodorant for years. It works pretty well, as long as you shower every day or two. I eventually went back to regular anti-perspirant as I was doing a lot more physical work and didn't like the stickyness even though there wasn't any odor.

Don't think it stops perspiration, just kills bacteria and makes (I assume) a hostile environment for same.

Makes sense...changes the ph.
White vinegar is good for a lot of things...pertaining to cleaning..
I use it sometimes to wipe down my hardwood floors...after diluting it with water...that is.

The crystal deodorant is excellent, have used it for years. It works and is not sticky at all as Harley says. It is really great for those with sensitive skin.

The only ingredient is Potassium Alum, it is rock hard and must be moistened before applying. I guess I could take a picture of it and post if anyone is interested. About a 4 oz crystal costs approx 7 euro and lasts more than a year (unless you drop it :rolleyes:).

White vinegar is great for so many things, I use also to freshen the washing machine and dishwasher, too.

Queenie

The crystal deodorant is excellent, have used it for years. It works and is not sticky at all as Harley says. It is really great for those with sensitive skin.

The only ingredient is Potassium Alum, it is rock hard and must be moistened before applying. I guess I could take a picture of it and post if anyone is interested. About a 4 oz crystal costs approx 7 euro and lasts more than a year (unless you drop it :rolleyes:).

White vinegar is great for so many things, I use also to freshen the washing machine and dishwasher, too.

Queenie
I use this too. It can be bought somehat cheaper than this at Walgreens in the US. To me it is the opposite of sticky. I put it on, dry with a hair dryer, and I am set for the day, unless I get real sweaty and shower again. I think it may not work as well for everyone. My son has a stressful job and he says it can't handle heavy tension at work. My life is pretty easy, so it works great for me. No fragrance either.

Ha

I use this too. It can be bought somehat cheaper than this at Walgreens in the US. To me it is the opposite of sticky. I put it on, dry with a hair dryer, and I am set for the day, unless I get real sweaty and shower again. I think it may not work as well for everyone. My son has a stressful job and he says it can't handle heavy tension at work. My life is pretty easy, so it works great for me. No fragrance either.

Ha

Maybe it only works for oldies.:LOL: ha, why you drying with a hairdryer? I am in no hurry so just flap my arms a few times. I also like that it has no fragrance, doesn't interfere with anything else.

We can just call it the retired persons deo. Need to go to Walgreens for other things anyway so will check it out. Thanks, Ha.

Queenie

Maybe it only works for oldies.:LOL: ha, why you drying with a hairdryer? I am in no hurry so just flap my arms a few times. I also like that it has no fragrance, doesn't interfere with anything else.

We can just call it the retired persons deo. Need to go to Walgreens for other things anyway so will check it out. Thanks, Ha.

Queenie
LOL! I am in love with my hairdryer. It is cool out here, so after my shower I dry with both a towel and my hairdryer.

I remember when I lived in the east, after a shower I just stayed damp.

Ha

If the OP doesn't even like to be around himself, he might, just might, have

HYPERHIDROSIS, excessive sweating

Meadbh, you brought to mind a family member of mine. I believe he had this, in one armpit only, if that is possible. He solved it by having botox injections in the area (ouch!) Seems it actually cleared up after a few injections. Or,maybe it was as he matured he acquired more self-confidence in himself and stopped having this reaction every time he was in social situations.

Queenie

Queenie

I didn't mean to imply the crystal salt was sticky. I meant I would get sticky if I did anything physical, as the salt doesn't have any particular anti-perspirant attributes. It's just a deodorant. I'm sure Queenie doesn't sweat, like all the ladies on the forum. A little misty, maybe, after mowing the lawn or something.

And Ha, as I remember from your pictures, you have as little use for a hairdryer as I do. You'll have to call it something else. Air stream personal heat applicator, or something.

Well, I didn't say where the hair is located. I have plenty hair, it is just equably distributed. :)

Ha

@ Harley - your a true gentleman. As they say "horses sweat, men perspire and women glow" ;) and your right the crystal is not an anti-perspirant, but anti-p's are not all that good for you... (my 2 cents).

@ Ha - umm, would you like to elaborate or would that be asking too much? :blush:

Queenie

Back
Top Bottom