Help with Canandian Rockies trip

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm flying into Vancouver this weekend and renting a car.

Plan is to visit Banff and Jasper parks, then drive over to Prince Rupert on the coast and take a round-trip ferry to Queen Charlotte island (Haida Gwaii) for a couple of days. Then take a ferry to Port Hardy on Vancouver Island, and meander down towards Vancouver.

Plan is to do day hikes on scenic trails in the parks.

Any suggestions for "must see" (or fun) places, trails, restaurants, etc.?

omni

Wow lots of driving! I worked in Holberg (NW of Port Hardy). Currently live in Vcr. Enough to see for 3 weeks. From Port Hardy, either Comox ferry to Powell River and down the Sunshine Coast, or down the Island and visit all the places along the way. Then Malahat Mountain highway into Victoria. Too many sights to mention. Side trips to Sooke and Bucharts Gardens recommended. Schwarz Bay ferry back to Tsawassen then an hour to Vancouver. Lots to see but especially Capliano Suspension Bridge and Park, Grouse Mountain Skytram, Cypress Mountain Lookout, Stanley Park. Bike the seawall if you have the time. There are seawall trails all around Stanley Park, English Bay, False Creek and Coal Harbour. Nothing better in good weather.

Whew and you still want to go east? Decide on the route through the Rockies. Crowsnest Pass and Rogers Pass, or Rogers Pass and Yellowhead. I will let others tell you about Banff and Jasper. (I lived in AB for 8 years in the 70s). Just make sure you drive the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper.

I have not mentioned all the wineries in the Okanagan Valley because you will not have the time. If you decide to make time, Burrowing Owl (Jim and Midge Wise) and Rustico Estate Vineyards (Bruce Fuller). Worth the side trip.

Nothing useful to add.

However, I made the trip in the 1980s. One beautiful trip! I am sure you will enjoy.

While we meandered down Vancouver Island we fell in love with Quadra Island, just a short ferry ride from Campbell River.
We stayed at the Tsa Kwa Luten lodge and did a boat tour to see bears and nature. Have a great time!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom