Need Comments on Current Bond Portfolio

bamboo1947

Confused about dryer sheets
I am 64 years old and have been retired for 9 years. I have a decent pension but I am relying on a certain amount of income from my bond investments. I have no stock investments per se. My current 'lineup' ) is as follows:

PREMX - Price Emerging Market Bond 5%
PRHYX - Price High Yield 5%
RPIBX - Price Int'l Bond 5%
PRCIX - Price New Income 5%

CPTNX - American Century Gov't Bond 10%

VWINX - Vanguard Wellesly Income 30%
VFIIX - Vanguard GNMA 25%
VWEHX - Vanguard High Yield 5%
VBIIX - Vanguard INT Term Bond Index 5%
VBMFX - Vanguard Total Bond Index 5%

My contention is that (IN MY CASE) the bond investments are for income only and not to offset any stock investments. Does anybody have an opinion on how right (or WRONG) my approach to bond investing is?

Last edited:
I am 64 years old and have been retired for 9 years. I have a decent pension but I am relying on a certain amount of income from my bond investments. I have no stock investments per se. My current 'lineup' (without percentages) is as follows:

PREMX - Price Emerging Market Bond
PRHYX - Price High Yield
RPIBX - Price Int'l Bond
PRCIX - Price New Income

CPTNX - American Century Gov't Bond

VWINX - Vanguard Wellesly Income
VFIIX - Vanguard GNMA
VWEHX - Vanguard High Yield
VBIIX - Vanguard INT Term Bond Index
VBMFX - Vanguard Total Bond Index

My contention is that (IN MY CASE) the bond investments are for income only and not to offset any stock investments. Does anybody have an opinion on how right (or WRONG) my approach to bond investing is?

To get a better answer, you should indicate what % you have allocated to these funds. In this environment it may be better to stay short and high quality. Probably OK to spike yield with HY and emerging, but I'd be very careful with not going overboard in those areas.

bamboo,

Honestly this doesn't look bad to me. I'm sure you know Wellesly contains ~37% stock, but I think its a great choice and there are many on here that like it alot. I suspect GNMA will be negatively affected in a rising rate environment, so perhaps you might want to cut that one back a little and replace with a short term govt.

Just my 2 cents.

bamboo,

Honestly this doesn't look bad to me. I'm sure you know Wellesly contains ~37% stock, but I think its a great choice and there are many on here that like it alot. I suspect GNMA will be negatively affected in a rising rate environment, so perhaps you might want to cut that one back a little and replace with a short term govt.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree. If it is income you are looking for, looks good IMHO...

Back
Top Bottom