Work Issues

JB2033

Dryer sheet wannabe
I NEED ADVICE:
I work for a company that is on the decline. New policies basically make my job impossible. My immediate manager has gone/is crazy. Me and the others he manages have caught him in multiple lies. He says one thing, and you commumicate this to clients, and 2 days-a week later he says something totally different, like, "my math has been real fuzzy on this one", and says you cant do something you have been telling the client you can do based off what he says!

What do I do?
1. Pass an anonimous letter to his boss, and let him know that he has lost it? I think his boss has an idea, but not the extent of the issues. Also, one of my crazy bosses key games is trying to show those above him that he has everything under control; when in fact everybody who works for him thinks he is crazy.
2. Let the company continue to decline and let the chips fall where they may? I like the company, and have worked here for seven years (current boss for less than 1). Even with a sane/good manager the company has big obstacles to overcome to make it.
3. Cut my losses and start aggresively looking for a new gig? If I do this I want to try and make it to 1/12012 before I go on the hunt. The downsides of this I see are a lousy job market, and not having the flexibilty I currently have. The upsides; finding a new gig why I am currently employed should be much easier, and I have pretty marketable skills.

Thanks for taking the time to read my dilemna, and any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I would keep quiet about the situation and look for another job. Option 3.
I NEED ADVICE:

3. Cut my losses and start aggresively looking for a new gig? If I do this I want to try and make it to 1/12012 before I go on the hunt.

His boss may be as crazy as he is. Assume that people they hire reflect their same outlook.

You need to look for another job anyway, as things may crater where you are. At least see what is out there.

I would take control of things and look for another job. Better to do a job search when you still have a paycheck coming in.

Things look problematic where you are and not getting better.

Option #3.

Option #3

If you have marketable skills, it might not take long in securing a suitable replacement. Polish up the ole resume and get into the interview mode... be selective in your new gig. Good luck!

I also agree with option #3. Based on my past experience, an anonymous letter to his boss is highly unlikely to result in the desired change. Doing nothing means staying in an unacceptable situation with a company with a shaky future.

Why would you want to wait until 1/1/12 to begin a job search? I'd suggest starting the process sooner. Not necessarily submitting applications, but doing research to target potential jobs, working on your resume, etc.

I'd start a job search now. In my career the only time I left a job without another one to go to was when my Father passed away and I had to decide whether or not I wanted to try to return to my home town to work.

You can't fix the company. It IS being run the way the owners want it to be. Once you decide to leave, much of the stress may go away, knowing this situation is temporary. Good Hunting , for your next job.

Definitely support yourself some other way. Find a new job. Start your own business. But do things your way and take full responsibility for yourself. Start by realizing that the only reason you're returning to your current situation Monday morning is because you chose to.

Lots of businesses and jobs come and go.

Pursue a new job opportunity, #3. Good luck to you.

Been there, done that. Took Option #3 and found a new better job. Don't look back. In terms of career growth and personal/emotional health, you will be much better off with Option #3.

Interesting you mention 1/1/2012 as a date. I landed my current job last November but negotiated a start date just after 1/1/2011 so I could get the 2010 bonuses paid out. The current employer was ok with that and I pocketed a few thousand bucks from the 2010 bonuses. Being a lame duck and knowing you are leaving your current job for 2 months was kind of weird, but I pulled it off successfully.

Definitely #3

But in the mean time, CYA (cover your a$$) - document everything nutzo says and have him sign it, so there's no question about who is responsible if your clients try to lynch someone.

Definitely #3

But in the mean time, CYA (cover your a$$) - document everything nutzo says and have him sign it, so there's no question about who is responsible if your clients try to lynch someone.

Agree about documenting everything. It might be hard to get "nutzo" to sign every statement he makes. Perhaps it would be wise to communicate via e-mail as much as possible to provide documentation.

Nice advice; I have started communicating with him via email alot more.

He was crazy on Monday but pretty normal on Tuesday and actually kinda helpful.

I would prepare option #3, but if I liked the company and got on OK with my boss's boss, I might also consider passing a message up the line.

Many years ago I worked for the Netherlands office of a UK company which had recently been bought by a US company. We were mostly run at arm's length, but for some reason the US parent company's European people had parachuted an empty suit into our office. We all moaned about his deviousness and general incompetence, but nothing happened. Then all of a sudden, the most senior tech person in our office, who had been there more or less since the original company was founded, and who had been almost the only person not to moan about the empty suit, submitted his resignation to the UK office. This went up the US corporate food chain like a rocket and the empty suit was gone by the end of the week. (The senior tech guy retracted his resignation, and the empty suit's deputy became the best boss I ever had.)

Back
Top Bottom