Moving Day Getting Close

Nodak

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well, my move to another town is scheduled for next week. I'm getting a bit stressed out over the whole thing and will be very glad when it's over. It will be great to be closer to what relatives I have and the climate will be a little better and there is much more to keep me occupied. It's just that I've lived in this town for the last 36 years and for 56 of my 64 years and the change is stressful. Movers will be Monday to pack and Tuesday to load up and I should be in new apartment on Thursday.

Wow! It takes guts to do that. My mom is in the same quandary. She hates the town & neighborhood, but can't leave her friends of 40 years at church.

We've moved 5 times now (we're 40&46) and made lots of friends along the way, so look forward to new friends and your family.

How exciting! This is going to be a great adventure for you. No matter how stressed out you feel right now, I think you have a lot to look forward to.

In this day and age, thats certainly a long time in one place. Nevertheless, sounds like you have something to look forward to and I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Congratulations on you move. Moving can be a real pain. I have sure done my share of it. The longest I have lived anywhere, so far, in my adult life so far has been 9 years.

If your are not really familiar with your new habitat I would suggest joining a variety of clubs, groups, church is so inclined, and get out and meet people. Apartment life is notorious for anonymous living; making it hard to get to know folks, unless you just want to be left alone.

Above all else, enjoy what you new place has to offer. Be a tourist several months and see everything that interests you; an even some things you think might not...you might be surprised.

Good luck and remember.....Moving is an Adventure...remember that when the dudes are packing your life-long treasures.

On November 7, the DW and I are moving 650 miles away from everything we've known for 33 years. We are moving away from family and old work and everything.

It is an adventure, but we'd be lying to not admit that we are a bit scared. We have lots of new friends already in the place and hope to get even more soon. But its like 44 years ago when we went off to college.

We have been packing ourselves for almost 6 weeks. Our whole house is filled with boxes. I bet we spent 500 bucks on cardboard.

Thoreau, that's exciting! Remember, you can always vacation in your present location and see your old friends there too.

I know what you mean about the cost of boxes. One can try to get used ones, but so many are needed for a move that getting enough is pretty difficult to do. I had almost all of my possessions boxed up in preparation for moving earlier this year, when Frank changed his mind and wanted to stay. So then, I had to unpack everything and put it away. I can't bring myself to get rid of those boxes, though, so I made them flat again and stacked them in a closet.

I can't bring myself to get rid of those boxes, though, so I made them flat again and stacked them in a closet.
Craigslist. You could charge only half of what Thoreau paid...

Craigslist. You could charge only half of what Thoreau paid...

Good idea. I think I'll wait a couple of years first, though, and make sure we don't change our minds again. :LOL: In my case, I think I only spent about $45 on boxes (plus $13 for more of those large plastic crates) since I had a few boxes and crates left over from a previous move. Plus, I downsized to an extent that I never thought possible, in preparation for the move-that-never-was.

Last edited:
I'm planning on saving all of them and carefull storing them. Then I'm going to sell them for 1/2 of what Home Depot and Lowe's charges for them. I should be able to get about $250 back. I'm sitting here right now surrounded by 12 boxes. the living room has about 30 boxes in it and then there is the cut boxes that you have to use for the 50 or so pictures that my wife has has spread through the whole house, but which we had to take down to sell it.

All these changes are inspiring and I appreciate what people said. I hope all goes or went well for Nodak and Thoreau!!

Freecycle is the best!! When I listed our home I started accumulating what we would need. I don't think we spent a penny on packing supplies.

Give them away through that program and if you need in the future you can rebuild your supply with planning.

My move went smoothly; there are so many boxes I don't know when I will be done unpacking. Have never heard of freecycle will have to check them out.

As you open each box take a look at its contents with a critical eye. Do you really need that, are they family treasures? If the answer is no to both questions set them aside to sell or give away. They will only be stones around your neck in the future.

As you open each box take a look at its contents with a critical eye. Do you really need that, are they family treasures? If the answer is no to both questions set them aside to sell or give away. They will only be stones around your neck in the future.
That is exactly what I've been doing.

In our case we only moved 70 miles but it is almost a different world. We started clearing stuff out a year before the move trying to fill an extra trash can every week and were still surprised at the amount of stuff we moved and then threw out. Lesson learned.

For boxes we were lucky. At work they had repainted and re-carpeted the offices so that meant every case file had to be boxed so the cabinets could be moved. When they were done I took what seemed like several hundred of those boxes home since they were going to throw them out.

Moving, after 4 corporate moves we still had 3 boxes we moved marked Garage Sale. Except for the taxes I am glad expenses weren't out of my pocket.

Finally Moved in to my New New-England Home. Now we are unpacking thousands of boxes. Need to go change registration fro the cars today. they wanted the titles!! God only knows where they are in all the packed boxes!!!

Congratulations on making the move. The next few weeks will be hectic I'm sure as you settle in and get stuff sorted.

Eventually you'll feel like the move is 'complete', just be patient.

Finally Moved in to my New New-England Home. Now we are unpacking thousands of boxes. Need to go change registration fro the cars today. they wanted the titles!! God only knows where they are in all the packed boxes!!!

Wonderful! Congratulations. I'm sure you will find the titles for your cars in time.

Wonderful! Congratulations. I'm sure you will find the titles for your cars in time.

Awrirght! So what is new screen name? Thoreau for real?

Last edited:
Sorry, I messed up.
Brain fog, had TWO glasses of vino with dinner instead of the usual ONE. I'm a cheap drunk.
ND it for Nodak.

Back
Top Bottom