Part-Time Job in Retirement for Health Insurance

boglegal

Confused about dryer sheets
I've been reading a lot about health insurance during retirement lately. Are there any part-time jobs out there that offer health insurance?

At least as of a few years ago Home Depot offered health insurance to those working 20 hours or more a week.

I learned about that chatting with the 50ish lady who was mixing paint. She liked where she was, said she was treated well, and was out by 3:00 PM to be home by the time her daughter was out of school.

A tough strategy in today's job market. Most large employers that have PT benefits are playing games. You may need to work 30 weeks at 20 plus hours per week. At week 25 or so you only get 16 hours and the clock starts all over again. I wouldn't make a serious move with this as a significant part of my plan.

Since you are posting in "Young Dreamers" I presume you are thinking about a retirement starting well in the future. I haven't tried hard, but I don't think I can adequately plan for health insurance coverage. I think the whole system may change before I retire.

I've heard of a couple of people say they invest in health company stocks as a hedge against future health care.

Given that the insurance pools are supposed to be operating in 2014 under current law, and who knows what will/won't be changed, overturned, rewritten, etc. I wouldn't worry too hard about this if you aren't retiring in the next 3 years. Too much uncertainty to get good and worried about specifics yet. Regardless, it's probably worth hedging your bets with a HSA account if you are able - one way or another you should be able to use that money for your health costs out of pocket, and the more you have saved that way, the bigger a margin for error you can work with comfortably.

Given that the insurance pools are supposed to be operating in 2014 under current law, and who knows what will/won't be changed, overturned, rewritten, etc. I wouldn't worry too hard about this if you aren't retiring in the next 3 years. Too much uncertainty to get good and worried about specifics yet. Regardless, it's probably worth hedging your bets with a HSA account if you are able - one way or another you should be able to use that money for your health costs out of pocket, and the more you have saved that way, the bigger a margin for error you can work with comfortably.
I tend to agree. I don't think I can "semi-retire" before 2014 so I feel I'd be overthinking this if I plotted it today. I'll have to see where the chips fall.

Uncle Sam's still got some part-time spots with health insurance (military reserves)
if you're so inclined. The catch is you've got to be ready to go full-time
whenever he says so.

I'm oathing in on Friday.

R/
LB

UPS is the company I have always heard offered a decent package for part timers.

I worked part time for UPS when I was 20 years old and it worked out well for me. However, it's a very physically demanding job even for the people who were in their 20's. It's not a job for someone near retirement age. Also, the pay is the same now as it was 12 years ago when I worked there.

Our local food co'op offers health insurance to employees. My niece worked there for a while - not full time but maybe about 25 hours a week:confused: The co'op employs a mix of both younger students not yet settled into more permanent jobs and older workers. I always figured that the availability of insurance fit well into the umbrella mission of the co'op ad so maybe might be found elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom