Clinical trials?

aaronc879

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I lost my job a couple months ago and haven't had any luck getting a new one. I found a research clinic fairly close to where I live and they have a trial coming up later this month. It would pay $2250. I would have to stay there for 9 nights and 10 days. Seems like easy money. Anyone have any reasons not to do it?

What are the purposes / meds being tested / studies being completed with the clinical trials ? Did you contact the relevant IRB ?

I haven't gotten any of that specific info yet. I just found out about it today on the website. I have to wait until monday to talk to someone about those things. What's an IRB?

I guess i'm assuming it's reasonably safe or they wouldn't be testing on humans. Maybe I shouldn't be so trusting?

Sorry - IRB stands for Institutional Review Board. Please google the term. I would recommend NOT to be part of any clinical trial without being fully briefed on the purpose(s) of the study and what exactly is being tested. In short, what the risks are in the short, medium and long term.
What's an IRB?

I guess i'm assuming it's reasonably safe or they wouldn't be testing on humans. Maybe I shouldn't be so trusting?

Most clinical trials available to walk-in patients are usually those that are mandated by the FDA for drug license purposes. They are not like "research" found at universities.

Not that that matters if you are doing it for the money, but some do involve minor procedures like endoscopy. Get full disclosure and see if there are any show-stoppers. You'll know them when you see them.

A clinical trial of that short of a time period seems like one that evaluating the short term effects of a drug substance. Full disclosure is indeed mandated here since any manner of evil medical procedure could be inflicted on you over the 9 days and 10 night stay at the clinic. Be prepared for giving frequent blood and other body fluid samples. Non-invasive procedures could also be performed like Rich said...endoscopy, MRI, XRay, EEG, EKG, and a lot of other three and four letter abbreviations. Read all their materials very closely to be sure you really want to participate. The money may not make up for the personal sacrifice and discomfort. Only you can answer that one once you get the information.

Ask a LOT of questions about what tests will be done and how often. Also ask about diet and restrictions during your [-]incarceration[/-] stay at the clinic. The more you know the better prepared you are to know what you are getting into.

I lost my job a couple months ago and haven't had any luck getting a new one. I found a research clinic fairly close to where I live and they have a trial coming up later this month. It would pay $2250. I would have to stay there for 9 nights and 10 days. Seems like easy money. Anyone have any reasons not to do it?
Months ago I read a blog by a 20-something who agreed to an inpatient study with a Covance contractor for a couple weeks. They're one of the bigger companies implementing studies for the pharmaceutical industry.

It was like reading a soap opera. They were crammed into dorm rooms of 2-4 beds and asked to spend their time in day rooms. Visitors were not allowed. Food was barely a means of nutrition, not anticipated entertainment. Staff was not interactive and was generally busy with their own duties, which included lots of observations & testing but did not include actual patient care. Bandwidth and other distractions (TV, personal DVD players) were not always working, and staff never really cared about fixing it. The primary entertainment quickly became gossiping and choosing sides. Participants would rat each other out to the staff if they didn't follow the study protocols or if someone had lied about their previous history.

During the two weeks he basically drove himself nuts and swore "never again".

Frankly, to me the whole thing sounded like a submarine patrol-- only without watchstanding or ship's drills. I'd bring along a stack of books & magazines (or a tablet/e-reader with spare batteries) and kick back for a couple weeks of relative boring quiet.

Keep in mind that the company is paying you $2250 for roughly 228 hours of work, although admittedly you get to sleep through at least a quarter of it. Would your time be more productively spent on a job search, networking, phone calls, career fairs, query letters, and interviews? Or would you consider this a "paid vacation"?

If they are paying you that much and incarcerating you for 10 days, you can bet that they are going to be giving you doses of a previously untried pharmaceutical compound and monitoring many of your physiological functions. You will be a guinea pig. Ask lots of questions about the type of drug and the risks associated with this class of chemical. Also, ask how many of the lab rats died.

They were crammed into dorm rooms of 2-4 beds and asked to spend their time in day rooms. Visitors were not allowed. Food was barely a means of nutrition, not anticipated entertainment. Staff was not interactive and was generally busy with their own duties, which included lots of observations & testing but did not include actual patient care. Bandwidth and other distractions (TV, personal DVD players) were not always working, and staff never really cared about fixing it. The primary entertainment quickly became gossiping and choosing sides. Participants would rat each other out to the staff if they didn't follow the study protocols or if someone had lied about their previous history.

Keep in mind that the company is paying you $2250 for roughly 228 hours of work, although admittedly you get to sleep through at least a quarter of it. Would your time be more productively spent on a job search, networking, phone calls, career fairs, query letters, and interviews? Or would you consider this a "paid vacation"?

This place i'm considering going to seems much nicer than what your describing. Here's some info: http://spauldingclinical.com/overview/index.html

"beyond results" in a guilded cage. Hmm. I'd pass.

I'd rather dig ditches.

This place i'm considering going to seems much nicer than what your describing. Here's some info: http://spauldingclinical.com/overview/index.html
Well, I'm sold on the free "Bar-coded wristbands issued to every subject"!

But, gosh, everybody looks pretty happy on the video, so I'd go for it. Sure.

If I were you, I'd be mildly concerned about the objectivity of our advice. If we talk you into volunteering for the study then hopefully we'd get to read your posts about the experience.

Looks to me like most are advising against it, and I'm sure in favor of finding out what you can about the experience beforehand (my guess would be darn little). On the other hand, $2250 for ten days looks pretty good if that's the first money other than unny pay you've seen for several months. How would it affect any unemployment insurance you have coming in?

"beyond results" in a guilded cage. Hmm. I'd pass.

I'd rather dig ditches.

I'd rather mow lawns, shovel snow, clean houses, or do laundry.

BTW, taxes will undoubtedly be deducted from the $2250, so I'd expect the check to be no more than $1800.

I'd rather mow lawns, shovel snow, clean houses, or do laundry.

BTW, taxes will undoubtedly be deducted from the $2250, so I'd expect the check to be no more than $1800.

$1800 is nearly enough to cover 2 months of expenses for me so it's worth considering.

$1800 is nearly enough to cover 2 months of expenses for me so it's worth considering.

Sorry you lost your job . I would check more into what the clinical study was about . Some are pretty safe but some are on the borderline .

Find out as much as you can about it before you decide. The videos sure do stress compliance.

This would not be for me and I would do many other things before even considering something like this.

Good luck and I'm sorry you lost your job. Hope you find another job soon.

Aaron - sorry you lost your job. Seek more information before you move foward on the study, be safe!

Sorry you lost your job . I would check more into what the clinical study was about . Some are pretty safe but some are on the borderline .

I called for more info. The study is a single dose of a 20mg capsule. The drug is a potential aide in treatment of kidney disease and they would be monitoring it's effects. It would require having electrodes placed on the chest to monitor heart rate and 2 blood draws per day as well as urine testing. Nothing invasive. They said some studies require that you have an IV for a portion of the stay and that would be as invasive as they get. This particular study requires that you drink a full glass of whole milk the morning before the dosing and since i'm lactose intorerant they said i'm not eligible. I'm on the waiting list for a different study. It filled the first day it was posted so i'll have to wait for someone to cancel their sreening date.

Honestly, I can't imagine participating in these trials as someone's lab rat, unless I had a serious condition without any hope of a cure from conventional treatments.

DH did a long-term trial for the shingles vaccine--not sure how he was recruited for that. But I'd like to think that was a good thing, since trials like his resulted in our all being able to get the shingles vaccine (turned out he got the placebo).

I think the trials are pretty safe--good luck with the next one, Aaron. There are a lot of clinical trials in Chicago so check those out too, as it's not tooooo far from where you live and they often pay for travel expenses according to their ads in the paper. Maybe there's one for lactose intolerance.

Honestly, I can't imagine participating in these trials as someone's lab rat, unless I had a serious condition without any hope of a cure from conventional treatments.

Well, there clearly are a lot of people willing to do it. Even in small town Wisconsin they said the studies usually fill in 1 day after being posted. You'd be amazed at some of the boring stuff that qualifies as news around here. If there were any complications from this research place it would be major news around here. There's been nothing. It seems like it would be better than doing manual labor for $10/hr which is my only other alternative to make money and it seems like even those jobs are hard to come by.

By the time the drugs get to the point of a clinical trial, they have usually been screened fairly well - at least as far as some of the more obvious side effects (growth of a second head; skin turning chartreuse, that sort of thing). However, that doesn't mean there won't be any long term side effects (think thalidomide).

If you were sick and wanted to try a new drug, I could see enrolling in a clinical trial. I think I would hesitate if I were healthy.

On the other hand, no drug would ever make it to the market if everyone was as chicken as I am.

By the time the drugs get to the point of a clinical trial, they have usually been screened fairly well - at least as far as some of the more obvious side effects (growth of a second head; skin turning chartreuse, that sort of thing). However, that doesn't mean there won't be any long term side effects (think thalidomide).

You reminded me of the time a doc put me a Lipitor, maybe ten years ago, could be more.
It only had eight side effects listed. After a month I could barely walk and had a serious case of the stoopids aka foggy brains. Needless to say I stopped and will never take the [-]crap[/-] madicine.

Someone who is taking them now might look up the number of side effects listed. About five years ago I looked out of curiosity, it was somewhere around 30.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom