Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   European Problem Solved? It's a Secret (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/european-problem-solved-its-a-secret-58280.html)

JPatrick 10-09-2011 07:22 PM

European Problem Solved? It's a Secret

:rolleyes:.
CHICAGO (MarketWatch) — German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Nicolas Sarkozy said on Sunday they’ve reached an agreement to strengthen the European banks, but wouldn’t go into details, according to published reports.
Merkel, Sarkozy agree to strengthen Europe banks - MarketWatch

Well OK, whatever the plan is, the market futures took off like a rocket. If this turns out to be a "real" solution, and 3rd qrt earnings look decent, we could see a real melt up in our market.
And then again....My crystal ball is giving me trouble..
But, my dental implants are just fine....:blush:

W2R 10-09-2011 07:23 PM

How exciting! I hope you are right. ;D

Not quite ready to celebrate yet, though...:dance: I want to know what the agreement is before I get too wild.

MichaelB 10-09-2011 08:00 PM

So, we have two European leaders saying "Regarding that problem that has no solution. Well, we have the solution, we just can't tell you what is it. It's a secret. Trust us."

Sounds good to me...

GregLee 10-09-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelB (Post 1119768)
So, we have two European leaders saying "Regarding that problem that has no solution. Well, we have the solution, we just can't tell you what is it. It's a secret. Trust us."

When the problem is lack of confidence, then the solution is to create trust. The secret doesn't matter. I predict the DJIA will advance 400 points on Monday.

73ss454 10-09-2011 08:34 PM

On Tuesday it'll some other crap we have to worry about, Yawn!

Brett_Cameron 10-09-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73ss454 (Post 1119777)
On Tuesday it'll some other crap we have to worry about, Yawn!

I have been paying close attention to financial markets and articles for the last few months for the first time in my life and it is my opinion that the moves in the market both up and down are irrational for the most part and are driven by how <somebody?> feels about future prospects.

Your comment about other crap to worry about is so true. If it is not one thing it is another.:)

MichaelB 10-09-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregLee (Post 1119773)
When the problem is lack of confidence, then the solution is to create trust. The secret doesn't matter. I predict the DJIA will advance 400 points on Monday.

Of course, if the problem is not lack of confidence but instead lack of solvency, the secret doesn't matter, and neither does Monday. The emperor has no clothes. There, or here.

JPatrick 10-09-2011 09:12 PM

I think the take away from the market jolt when the "secret" was announced, is the fact that the situation in Europe is weighing heavily on all world markets. If we can believe that indeed things are heading toward a resolution, a large percentage of our problems will be behind us. Next boogey man is past quarter earnings and (most important) 4th quarter projections that are positive. Put them all together and off we go.

That was really easy to say, but with thin trading expected tomorrow, and a few key technical,:rolleyes: indicators at a tipping point, we could have a few nice days ahead of us.

SecondCor521 10-09-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1119757)
How exciting! I hope you are right. ;D

Not quite ready to celebrate yet, though...:dance: I want to know what the agreement is before I get too wild.

Please don't use the "w" word :-)

2Cor521

bbbamI 10-09-2011 09:44 PM

Ok...I'll say it. I thought someone figured out how to keep their pants dry after they coughed/sneezed and were keeping it to themselves.

traineeinvestor 10-09-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelB (Post 1119782)
The emperor has no clothes. There, or here.

Given who we are talking about, that statement is disturbing on so many levels.

W2R 10-09-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondCor521 (Post 1119787)

2Cor521

Mum's the word! :-X:-X:-X:cool:

Telly 10-09-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

I've heard that it's an (Ice Blue) Secret... but the French say they don't need it :dead:

Helen 10-09-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondCor521 (Post 1119787)

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Ed_The_Gypsy 10-09-2011 11:08 PM

I love a train wreck.

Bestwifeever 10-09-2011 11:15 PM

:2funny::2funny::2funny::2funny::2funny:
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbamI (Post 1119788)

Ok...I'll say it. I thought someone figured out how to keep their pants dry after they coughed/sneezed and were keeping it to themselves.

chinaco 10-10-2011 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPatrick (Post 1119756)
Well OK, whatever the plan is, the market futures took off like a rocket. ..

or.... the robots were unleashed and took off high-frequency trading software.

So far, the only result has been motion sickness. :sick:

donheff 10-10-2011 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsparks2 (Post 1119778)
it is my opinion that the moves in the market both up and down are irrational for the most part...

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregLee (Post 1119773)

Hey, we could wager on this. Oh, that IS the market. :)

I'm betting it goes up a bit then comes back down as people start thinking, "Secrets? WTF?"

TromboneAl 10-10-2011 08:04 AM

The secret is that starting Tuesday, all Le Monopolie money will be legal tender.

Lsbcal 10-10-2011 12:01 PM

Listening to El-Ehrian (Pimco) and others, the solution is not just one thing but a set of things that have to be done over in Europe and elsewhere. It's unclear that all will be solved by the October G20 conference. Still I like the market direction today -- up a lot. More, more!

Here is one recent article: An unsettling trifecta for market contagion | Mohamed El-Erian

Quote:

The fear of impending generalized dislocations — what the Managing Director of the IMF, Christine Lagarde, correctly labeled a “dangerous phase” — must now transition into three effective responses: immediate circuit breakers in Europe (what I call “very important and very, very urgent”); structural reforms in emerging economies, Europe and the US (“very important and very urgent”); and demand stimulus in emerging economies, Germany, and the US (“bridging mechanisms”).
And another BBC blog: BBC News - Eurozone's crisis countdown