my new Nook

SteveL

Recycles dryer sheets
I recently joined the ereader crowd with the purchase of a Nook Simple Touch (AKA Nook Ver2). I got this instead of the Kindle because of the ease of getting books from the library.

Anyway, this Nook comes with 2gigs of memory of which 1 is available for storing books. Of this 1gig, 75% is reserved for content from BN and the other 25% for content added from other sources. For me this would be about 500 library books, or public domain books, far more than I need. However, I was curious about the microSD slot included in the device.

I happened to have a 2gig microSD chip which I inserted into the device with some difficulty. It did go in, and I was able to see it on the Nook, and on my PC when connected.

I then went to epubbooks.com and downloaded some books and then transferred them to the chip on the Nook. Unfortunately, I was unable to read the books which were on the chip. Guessing the cause, I moved one to the Nook internal memory, and presto, the book was readable.

Made a call to Nook Support, and asked if this was really how the thing was designed. Yes, I was correct. The device can't do anything with anything on the chip. You can store anything from your PC on the chip, but you are unable to anything with it. Sort of a stupid addition.

You can store lots of books, but then move them back and forth between the internal memory and the chip in order to read them.

As far as reading, the Nook is pretty good. I have several library books. I had to install Adobe Digital Editions on my PC. This allows the library to sunset the book off the device after the two week subscription period.

I concur with your use of calibre -- an excellent program for managing e-book content. It appears to work with nearly every device capable of displaying e-books, and it has the added viture of being able to convert content from one format to another (e.g., "epub" to "mobi"). And, it's free. Oh yes, it also gets updated on a regular basis. A "must have" for e-book affectionados.

I use Calibre like Leonides. DW has the Nook touch (like yours) and I have the Nook Color. The Color lets you use the SD card -- I keep movies on it and could keep books on it as well but I haven't needed the space. On DWs Nook we discovered the limit on non-BK books but we addressed it by keeping most in Calibre and just loading a dozen or so to the Nook. By the way, Kindle books are now available at libraries.

Just a short update....Along with the Nook price reduction announced yesterday, there was a firmware update. After I installed, the Nook can open books on the microSD card.

After reading on my iPod touch, I find it annoying not to be able look up words, or search for the first occurrence of some character who I've forgotten about.

Perhaps

Once you go Nook, you never go book.

After reading on my iPod touch, I find it annoying not to be able look up words, or search for the first occurrence of some character who I've forgotten about.

Perhaps

Once you go Nook, you never go book.

Clever! It's going to be my next purchase (right after the new furnace).

-- Rita

Barnes and Noble has just dropped the price of their Nook tablet computers by quite a bit. I believe you can get their top of the line Nook for less than $200.

Back
Top Bottom