25 years Fire'd

NYEXPAT

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I made my obligatory weekly call to my father (93, strong as a bull) and he reminded me that I have been retired for 25 years (actually 24, but who counts).

It was not so much a congratulations from a proud father, more like "you realize, your only accomplishment in the past 25 years is your 6 year old son"! My first thought was what about my 22 year old daughter who is working on her doctorate?

My father is a very opinionated man and a successful investor, who once turned down a job with Warren Buffett, to open his own investment firm.

I mention this, because my Father values success over happiness. When I was 10, he used to come home from work and have me pore over the stock tables in the WSJ to track my little portfolio of about 10 stocks.

When I graduated college, I assumed I would go to work at his firm. I still remember my Father laughing and saying "why would I pay you for what you do not know"? Like many lessons, I did not realize he was right till much later.

I remember him being proud when my "net worth" exceeded his.

But, that's when I realized I was trying to please him and not myself.

It's been 24 of the best years of my life!

Good for you. Hope you enjoy the next 24 yrs. as much as the first 24.

That sounds like a typical generational difference. While I love gathering knowledge, I most enjoy using it to make life easier. Doesn't get much easier than being retired! No guilt here.

For some of us, we will never ever be able to please our parents or do enough for them. There isn't any relief either in knowing that it is as much our fault as theirs. We just keep on trying and hoping that it will change. Those darn pesky neuroses we grew up with just won't listen to reason when we talk to them.

My dad, reminds me all the time of my anniversary's. He remembers holidays now, so he can see if I remember. He's proud I retired so young. I beat him by 12 years and he was 55. He's only 71 now. He didn't enjoy work any more than I did. It was a means to an end, not the end in itself.

Glad to hear you've enjoyed such a long retirement. I'll be 67 when I hit 24 years. I hope I can say they were the 24 best years of my life. I suspect I will, since it's mainly up to me. Congrats!!!!

Back
Top Bottom