Making a living using Tax Payers- Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enuff2Eat

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hello,

Just how many of you here earned some sort of income via "tax payers money". I live near the DC area and it seems like up to 80% of the people here are depending in some finance support by tax payers. No wonder the country is suffering. There is NOT enough people just making living in the private sectors.

Here are some of the folks that "Making a living using Tax Payers". Don't mean to offend anyone. My apology if I rub you the wrong way.

Teachers
Professors
School staffs
Army forces
Police
Firemen
County employees
State employees
Federal employees
Government contractors
VA staffs doctor, nurses..
politician
The list goes on and on...

enuff

If you don't mean to offend, maybe a term other than "using taxpayers" would be a better choice?

This thread is a variation on an old (and legitimate) issue -- the declining fortunes of private sector Middle America compared to public sector Middle America. I know I feel like I've been getting screwed. But dividing and conquering us by separating us into "public" and "private" camps and encouraging us to fight against each other doesn't help us, and it only encourages the corporate, economic and political elites who benefit when we fight with each other instead of coming together to see what they are doing to us.

We in the middle class are being given a smaller slice of the pie than ever in the last few decades, but instead of asking why our slice is so much smaller now, we fight with each other over who gets how much of this smaller piece. That makes little sense, IMO. Shouldn't we both be asking why we get so much less pie now? When we "us versus them" each other in the middle class, treating each other as the enemy, we are playing right into the hands of the elites.

Let's not make this a "government worker bashfest," though -- thanks!

Enuff2Eat said:
Hello,

Just how many of you here earned some sort of income via "tax payers money". I live near the DC area and it seems like up to 80% of the people here are depending in some finance support by tax payers. No wonder the country is suffering. There is NOT enough people just making living in the private sectors.

Here are some of the folks that "Making a living using Tax Payers". Don't mean to offend anyone. My apology if I rub you the wrong way.

Teachers
Professors
School staffs
Army forces
Police
Firemen
County employees
State employees
Federal employees
Government contractors
politician

enuff

Maybe this article will make you feel a little better, as apparently there are not as many workers on the tax payer dole as there used to be.

http://www.politifact.com/new-jerse...ssman-bill-pascrell-says-more-600000-public-/

Hmm... for the past few months, the private economy has been generating about 125,000 new jobs each month. Not as many as needed but certainly better than zero. However, public sector jobs have been decreasing at the rate of about 30,000 per month. This has wiped out about 25% of the gain from the private sector.

Last edited:
With the exception of the military, many / most of those jobs are unionized. Unions tend to contribute more to one party than the other. We are nearing an election. Get the drift? :cool:

I make a living from my work, effort and knowlege. The taxpayers (who include me!!) pay me for that. Each day I earn my pay, so the dollars are no longer the taxpayer's but mine. If they want to keep their dollars they can fire me. And that has been happening!! Though not to me yet.

In my home state the governor and legislature do not want to raise taxes so they have cut the budge at least twice and will do it again this month. As a result, many public employees have been laid off, or not rehired, or are working shorter hours. Many public services have been cut way back. What protects me? I am certified to teach math and chemistry and computer tech skills. And I am going to retire at the end of this year so why bother firing me?

Last edited:
Tax payers also include:
Teachers
Professors
School staffs
Army forces
Police
Firemen
County employees
State employees
Federal employees
Government contractors
politician

It's not like one group pays taxes and the other does not...we all pay taxes.

I think it is the use of taxpayer dollars, not the fact that some people are paid from them, that is the real issue. Unfortunately, most of these public servants have little say over that. The boss says drive to 24th and Elm and fill the pothole and we do that, even if the street is to be dug up the next day.

Imagine this: Our soldiers in Afghanstan have to drive the Taliban out of an area. They do their best, but the Taliban is still there. Do we say "Those lazy soldiers! Eating up taxpayer dollars when they cannot do their jobs! What is wrong with those guys? Let's cut their budget so they have fewer bullets, less rations, and more holes in their boots. That will teach them!"

No. We blame their commanding officers, the generals and leaders in the Pentagon. We blame the people who are supposed to know what to do with the efforts of our brave soldiers. This included Generals and the Sec. of Defense and all the politicians who approve things like wars, budgets, defense outlays, etc.

Let's not make this a "government worker bashfest," though -- thanks!
Good luck with that.

OP couldn't even be bothered to add a survey like he claimed in his title.

Maybe this thread should just be moved to the political forum now so that I can get on with ignoring it...

But dividing and conquering us by separating us into "public" and "private" camps and encouraging us to fight against each other doesn't help us

We in the middle class are being given a smaller slice of the pie than ever in the last few decades, but instead of asking why our slice is so much smaller now...

So you are ok with divide and conquer "rich" vs "others" but not gubmint teat vs private sector.

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• pigmobile.jpg
    pigmobile.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 3
This thread was doomed from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom