Every Road Fatality in the US 2001-2009 mapped and classified

Wow. It is amazing that the data can be presented and zoomed like that. I couldn't get the "click to toggle" the key part to work.

Wow. It is amazing that the data can be presented and zoomed like that. I couldn't get the "click to toggle" the key part to work.
The key just shows the coding of each death by type. (Vehicle occupant, motorcycle, bicyclist, pedestrian, etc. )The icon gives the sex and age of the victim, and year of the fatality.

Slightly different topic- I have been driving a bit more lately incident to moving and shopping for stuff. Whoa, it can be hard to see pedestrians wearing dark clothing who plunge out into a crosswalk or just into the street mid-block at dusk or after dark on a dark rainy day. Many of them are not also drivers, or at least not often, so they do not realized that it is best to look around before you walk out. So in my role as driver I am being extremely careful, and ditto as a pedestrian. I bought a blaze orange anorak from REI on their recent sale, and I wear it whenever I leave home after 1 pm or so. Brightly dressed pedestrians are much easier for drivers to spot.

Ha

Last edited:
The key just shows the coding of each death by type. (Vehicle occupant, motorcycle, bicyclist, pedestrian, etc. )The icon gives the sex and age of the victim, and year of the fatality.

Slightly different topic- I have been driving a bit more lately incident to moving and shopping for stuff. Whoa, it can be hard to see pedestrians wearing dark clothing who plunge out into a crosswalk or just into the street mid-block at dusk or after dark on a dark rainy day. Many of them are not also drivers, or at least not often, so they do not realized that it is best to look around before you walk out. So in my role as driver I am being extremely careful, and ditto as a pedestrian. I bought a blaze orange anorak from REI on their recent sale, and I wear it whenever I leave home after 1 pm or so. Brightly dressed pedestrians are much easier for drivers to spot.

Ha
I almost hit two teenage boys on skateboards on a country road last week. I had my brights on while navigating an unlit road. I turned the brights off when I saw headlights approaching about 1/4 mile away. Something on the skateboard (wheels?) flashed a bit, and I put the brights right back on. Sure enough, two boys in dark clothing were riding their boards in my lane. TG I was going slow and had plenty of distance to stop.
I waited for the other cars to go by, then rolled down the window as I went by them slowly. I told the boys they just almost got killed.
PLEASE wear something reflective!

A big birthday party was just breaking up on F.'s street today. As I drove past, several 3-4 year olds were wandering in the street mindlessly while their mothers juggled the favors/presents and their younger babies, and tried to open car doors and so on. That was scary! One cute little 4-year-old girl with light brown hair and a great big ribbon in it, wearing a party dress, walked directly out into the middle of the street from behind a car without even looking.

When I arrived, F. said I was the only person driving within the 20 mph speed limit. I was still going about, oh, 3-5 mph.... :D

Thanks for the map HA.

Now I'll check with my insurance company, looks like only 16 fatals according to the map, in the area I usually travel.

OTOH $360 per vehicle per year, maybe I should not b*tch.

Hmm, there was a motorcyclist killed about 5 miles offshore of Miami...I'm assuming he drowned??
TJ

My dad was hit by a car while he was riding his bike, age 75 in 08. I had to click on the map to see, and it was there on the correct intersection. Kind of weird seeing it like that, makes me get a little teary.

My dad was hit by a car while he was riding his bike, age 75 in 08. I had to click on the map to see, and it was there on the correct intersection. Kind of weird seeing it like that, makes me get a little teary.
I'm sure it would. I am sorry for your loss.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom