Gatlinburg Tennessee

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Visited there for the first time a couple days ago. Quite the place, tucked up against the Smoky Mountains. We left New Year's Eve, they were expecting 125,000 people for a ball drop at midnight.

Had a blast, Pigeon Forge makes Wisconsin Dells look like amateurville........:)

Temps were high 50's, quite warm for this time of year........:)

Gatlinburg? Is that the [-]tourist trap[/-]mini-theme-park-thicket city? In 2006 I took a long, rambling drive and had been through Chattanooga and up through the Smoky Mountains a bit before making it to the gaudy-by-comparison mass of entertainment plots.

I wasn't particularly fond of that city, but Eastern Tennessee was beautiful.

The rest of my trip was much more enjoyable. Alabama and Eastern Tennessee are beautiful. Places I wouldn't have given a second thought before--Birmingham, Chattanooga and Knoxville--are places I'd like to go back to again.

We visited there a few years ago and really enjoyed it especially in the fall when the foliage was at its peek .

Always loved the Smokies, especially in the fall. Gatlinburg is too crowded anymore.

If you want to visit be sure to go when schools are in session and UT does not have a home game and then only during the week. The crowds are not bad in the winter even on the weekend after new years. We go at least once every year as it is not to far away.

We love the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. We have a timeshare and visit for a week very fall. Just beautiful driving thru the park and on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Traffic is problematic, but if you know the back roads you can avoid a lot of frustration.

I take my family down there at least once a year. We avoid Gatlinburg like the plague though. Stay and dine in Pigeon Forge. Drive to Cades Cove (beautiful) and hit a few of the many walkable day trails in the mountains. Favorite being Grotto Falls.
It's a quick and easy drive from Cincy, and we enjoy the area.

Back
Top Bottom