Whitney Houston - dead at 48

Wow, very sad. I would rank Whitney with Ofra Haza and Allison Krauss as the greatest female vocalists of my lifetime. Stay well, Allison...

Aretha?

Last edited:
Her funeral today was something special. She was loved.

Her funeral today was something special. She was loved.

I did not watch her funeral today, but I am surprised at how sad I am by her death. I have been bummed out all week.

I moved to Boston right after I graduated from college in 1982. On Friday and Saturday nights around 10pm I would shower, change my clothes and hit the clubs to go dancing (oh to have that kind of energy now...). Whitney hit the airwaves around 1985 and her music was very popular, especially in the gay bars. I spent many a weekend dancing away to her music.

It was an important part of my life and she was a part of it, so I guess that is why I am feeling such a loss.

-helen

I spent my late morning and afternoon watching the funeral. Some parts were very touching. It's sad that one doesn't really know how much one touches others, then they are gone.

Whenever I speak to my children I tell them that I love them. I'm always telling my partner how much I love her. Let people know how you feel about them when they are alive and you won't have any regrets about not expressing your feelings for them after they die.

Saw a TV story that said that she possibly had a drug problem. Why do celebs always seem to have this problem that cuts short their lives?
I don't think they "always" do. For those who do, same reason as non-celebs, the others just don't get the publicity...

I don't think they "always" do. For those who do, same reason as non-celebs, the others just don't get the publicity...

You are correct, of course. I should have said "often" rather than "always seem". The story noted a number of entertainers (can't recall the names) who have died and had an association with drugs abuse. I do not know a single person who abuses drugs. So there's that... I was also surprised that there was so much redundant TV coverage on the death.

Not sure celebs have a higher death rate form drugs or not.

Drugs exceeded motor vehicle accidents as a cause of death in 2009, killing at least 37,485 people nationwide, according to preliminary data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
They might have a greater tendency to substance abuse because they are expected to give their absolute best each time they perform, they certainly are judged publicly by that standard, and their industry and employers enable substance abuse like no other.

Saw a TV story that said that she possibly had a drug problem. Why do celebs always seem to have this problem that cuts short their lives?

Consider those aging celebs that seem healthy both physically and psychosocially. People like Bruce Springsteen, Bono, David Bowie, Tina Turner and Madonna. What’s different with them? I speculate they’ve centered their lives on things other than their celebrity. Things like charity work, faith and helping children. Sadly, I think Whitney’s life was primarily centered on her fame, beauty and amazing talent. When that started to fade, she may have become depressed and lost. I’m so sorry we lost her so soon. Such a remarkable woman.

For us, as early retirees or those who aspire to retire early, I think we can learn from this. Don’t define yourself by your career or how others perceive you. It’s something I’ve struggled with for sure.

Back
Top Bottom