June too early for Banff / Canadian Rockies?

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are looking at a trip to Banff the 3rd week of June this year. Our schedule doesn't work as well for July/Aug. Would we regret going in late June due to the weather? We are looking to do some easy hiking, see the lakes, and maybe do a river rafting trip. Appreciate your thoughts.

We went in July of 2010 and the weather was super, though not as cool as I'd hoped. I don't know the difference a month would make. I can tell you that Banff is a pricy town to eat in, but it is lovely.

We went in June several years ago, some trails were closed due to snow, but most easy hikes, the lakes, the glaciers and things were all easily accessible and absolutely wonderful! Enjoy!!!

Yes, it is a little too early. Consider late July or August to see and experience everything. Got to give the glaciers time to melt and produce the incredible lake views.

We live 12 miles from Banff in Canmore. The mountain weather is very unpredictable. it can and does snow in any month! Last June we biked up to Moraine lake in a cold(50 degree) downpour! I would say the later the better in June. On the other hand it could well be just perfect. We have had better luck with late summer (August/Sept) weather than early(June/July) weather in the last few years. Having said that,this area is a superb vacation destination. Make sure you drive from Lake Louise to Jasper. The scenery will take your breath away.

My brother and sister-in-law own place in Canmore:) I can't comment much since I haven't been. They spend July and September there.

Thanks all. We're revising our trip to first week in July, hopefully a little warmer. Here is what we're thinking now:
  • Fly into Calgary, rent car
  • 3 days in Banff
  • 1 day drive to Jasper (stop at Lake Louise and other sights along the way)
  • 3 nights in Jasper
  • 1 day drive back to Calgary and catch a late flight out (that will be a long day)
How does this sound?

I did that trip leaving from Coeur d'Alene. Lots of great scenery, wildlife, and glaciers.

Weather dot com says that in June, average high is 66 and average low is 42.

That doesn't sound too bad, but perhaps that's in the city and not in the mountains?

We have 1 house just south of the border. When we used to set up 5/6 day backpacking trips in the Rockies (both Canada and US) we usually had to wait until about the 3rd week in July. Still we occasionally ran into snow that limited passage. If you are limiting yourself to day-hikes and not the real high elevations, you should be good. September would be a super time to go (less people). Damnar is your best source of info due to his close proximity.

Thanks all. We're revising our trip to first week in July, hopefully a little warmer. Here is what we're thinking now:
  • Fly into Calgary, rent car
  • 3 days in Banff
  • 1 day drive to Jasper (stop at Lake Louise and other sights along the way)
  • 3 nights in Jasper
  • 1 day drive back to Calgary and catch a late flight out (that will be a long day)
How does this sound?

This would be fine but I would suggest you spend a day in Lake Louise (Post Hotel) on the way to Jasper. Not really as much in Jasper as Banff IMHO so maybe 3/1/2 days in Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper. In Banff stay at the Rimrock, and in Jasper make sure you stay at the Fairmont. Make sure you drive to Lake Louise along the Bow Valley Parkway.

This would be fine but I would suggest you spend a day in Lake Louise (Post Hotel) on the way to Jasper. Not really as much in Jasper as Banff IMHO so maybe 3/1/2 days in Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper. In Banff stay at the Rimrock, and in Jasper make sure you stay at the Fairmont. Make sure you drive to Lake Louise along the Bow Valley Parkway.

Thanks but staying at the Fairmont and Post Hotel I will never get to ER! :D

I think Danmar's main point is a good one. Take more time in the Lake Louise area. There is much to do. Some neat hikes and great scenery.

One of the best hikes (25 miles, 40km) in my life, was in Jasper. Needless to say it took the whole day(we had to stop a lot to get the bears off the trail). Lake Louise, to me was more of a wine swilling, stop and smell the roses, and check out the view, kind of place.

One of the best hikes (25 miles, 40km) in my life, was in Jasper. Needless to say it took the whole day(we had to stop a lot to get the bears off the trail). Lake Louise, to me was more of a wine swilling, stop and smell the roses, and check out the view, kind of place.

Could be if you wanted but I think there are superb hikes near lake Louise. Some ( the teahouse) can be done in a couple of hours. Others like Mount Temple and Plain of the 6 Glaciers take the better part of the day. Moraine Lake is a must see. It will be busy in July although less Japanese than in previous years. You really can't go wrong whatever you do. When we are in this part of the country it makes us very proud to be Canadians.

had fun. I liked the atmosphere and I thought the food was very good. albeit, pricey.

Speaking from complete ignorance of the area here, but when I see a phrase like
is a landmark destination for thousands of visitors
... I tend to cringe inwardly.

I've lived in a number of places that were "tourist destinations". Restaurants that cater to huge numbers of tourists and offer a "unique atmosphere" have always been hit or miss as far as the actual meals were concerned.

Not saying you can't have a good time and a good meal at these places (they always have plenty of repeat traffic), but they do tend to be overhyped and overpriced if you're just looking for a good meal, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom