Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Yes, I have been a PE.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Working on it, I am an EIT.

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Rustward

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This thread http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/poll-how-many-of-us-are-engineers-60354.html has me wondering how many Professional Engineers we have.

I have an engineering degree from an engineering college that is part of a university. Over the years I have had several job titles that included the word "engineer", and I might have done some work that resembled engineering, but I have never been, and will probably never be a Professional Engineer.

We'll count PE's, former PE's, and EIT's. Google if you need to, or ask for links.

1 here :)

And another. One of my pet peeves has always been the liberal use of engineer, you wouldn't see that with Dr.

I recall many moons ago when someone I knew was finishing their BS degree in Math/computer science. But he said he was looking for engineering jobs because they paid more. :facepalm:

Aye. PE FL, over 30 years ago. Never moved it to another state. No need. In Canada, it was as good as gold. I expect to let it lapse next year, unless I gotta go back to Iceworld. Maybe I will renew anyway. I might even get a PE in EE and/or ME just for fun. I've done the work. I knew a kid who did it. Maybe I won't. Sounds like work.

Needed to Google it and the answer is maybe :)
The Wikipedia page on licensing of the engineers lists a similar case to mine when describing "Diploma Engineer"

Where is the "No" choice?
I am not, never been, and not working to be one.

Where is the "No" choice?
I am not, never been, and not working to be one.

A "No" choice did not seem relevant, but I should probably have put one in.

Also, it is pretty unlikely that someone could be an RPE and not know it, but stranger things have happened. 40 years ago a high school classmate was taken to the ER with abdominal pains of an unknown nature. When the doctor told her she was going into labor she claimed to be unaware that she had been pregnant for the previous nine months. She had a son. Turned out fine, and today he works in the family business run by his mother.

How about an M.S.S.E. ?

Amethyst

Last edited:
How about an M.S.S.E. ?

Amethyst

If M.S.S.E. is Masters of Science in Software Engineering, then no.
Software people do not seem to be considered engineering types by the engineering community. I am a software person myself, and there are dozens of certifications available for software people, and I do wonder about their value.

But M.S.S.E. could be different things, so if you are using it to mean something different, please say so.

This is about a lot more than just formal education.
Here are a few links for those who are interested:
NSPE Licensure - What is a PE?
NSPE Licensure - How to Get Licensed
NSPE Licensure - Maintaining a License

Hoping not to go too far out on a tangent here:
I recall when a TV broadcast tower (all 1/4 mile of it) crashed to the ground near here maybe a dozen or so years ago, killing three people who were attempting to add a new antenna to it. Long story short, the investigation revealed that the installation crew attached the lifting cable to the antenna using a smaller bolt than the engineering specifications called for. Don't remember for sure why the crew did this but I can imagine that maybe they did not have a bolt of the specified size on site and eyeballed it and determined they would probably be OK using a smaller bolt. Real engineering in action.

Last edited:
There was no "NO" choice. Got a BEE (Georgia Tech did not call it a BSEE) in 1972 but I never bothered to obtain a PE certification. Turns out I never needed one since I never had the desire to be self employed and the Megacorps I worked for never required it.

I stopped paying my annual dues in 1980, shortly after I changed jobs. Didn't seem to need it once I'd left the Defence industry.

I recall when a TV broadcast tower (all 1/4 mile of it) crashed to the ground near here maybe a dozen or so years ago...

Unfortunately, there are many other examples where seeking a professional engineer's advice during construction would have been a good idea...

china-building-col_1433575i.jpg

Rustward, here's a link to a lengthy explanation of the use of "software engineering" as a job title, written by the then-director of the P.E. board in my state (Texas has one of the strictest interpretations on use of the title software engineering, for reasons unknown to me):

http://sce.uhcl.edu/helm/SWEBOK_IEEE/papers/10 reprint 5.pdf

This is my attempt at a short summary, which leaves out industrial exemptions and other nuances:

In the collapse example above, let's assume that the failure was due to faulty software controlling an automated groundwater control system. The design of the software for that system is considered practicing software engineering because: 1) it requires application of principles taught in a university engineering curriculum (soil mechanics) and 2) and is relevant to the protection of public health, safety and welfare.

Creating Firecalc, no matter how impressive it may be as a technical achievement, was not software engineering because it does not meet both tests.

It's rather unusual for a EE to get their PE certification. It's simply not needed in most EE careers. Now that I think about it, once I graduated college I don't remember it ever coming up - at my company nor at the many high tech firms I interacted with.

I didn't think I needed mine until BP spilled a little oil in the gulf. Things change. I got my under the assumption that it may not help, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Well, that stupid test hurt a bit.

No suffix 4 me. (click to enlarge):

Attachments

• dt120307.gif
    dt120307.gif
    58.8 KB · Views: 8
Pursuing a PE in nuclear engineering sounds like a terrible life, if indeed such a designation even exists.

It's rather unusual for a EE to get their PE certification. It's simply not needed in most EE careers. Now that I think about it, once I graduated college I don't remember it ever coming up - at my company nor at the many high tech firms I interacted with.

Those that go into power systems or controls engineering seem to get it at least occasionally. I have one of those working for me now! He also used to design/spec a lot of industrial HVAC systems.

Never bothered to get my P.eng as it wasn't needed (most folks in ee/cs don't bother). I do have my iron ring though.

Back
Top Bottom