Greetings

seraphim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW and I are both retiring at 57: she, this June, and I in January. We enjoy our Class B camper van, and riding our recumbent bicycles around the country. We plan to spend a great deal of time travelling next year, and photographing the country. I enjoy writing, as well.

I have a lot to learn about the markets, as all our non-pension funds are currently in tax deferred accounts we can't access until we retire (no waiting for 59.5). A lot of good discussions and links here, so it shouldn't take me long to get up to speed. No decisions necessary until next year.

Look forward to getting acquainted with everyone.

"Growing old is no excuse for growing up."

And I'm NOT confused about dryer sheets.

They're very tasty.

Welcome, trying to increase your post count already.

Welcome aboard. Your interests are widely held here, you'll fit right in!

Welcome and congrats on your upcoming retirement!

Welcome to the site. You'll find plenty of like minded travelers and campers here.

Welcome! What kind of Class B do you have? I'm trying to get DH to take the plunge...

Thanks for all the kind welcomes!

We currently have an older B: a 1995 Intervec Falcon. We have looked at newer Bs over the years and, nice as they are, have found nothing we liked as much as the Falcon. We've been considering something a bit larger; hadn't planned on buying anything until next year, but there's a very nice and lightly used Lexington 283TS nearby. I'd hate to take out a loan at this point, but we might take the risk to keep from losing that unit.

Meeting with the financial adviser tonight. *grin*

Thanks again for all the welcomes.

addendum - I added a photo of the Falcon in an album, for those who may be interested.

Last edited:
Hi seraphim, welcome. I'm not an RVer but I do enjoy the dialog among them. Tanks for sharing the picture. Good luck with the financial advisor.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael.

Meeting went well, though the FA is suggesting I work another 5 months beyond next January. It makes sense, but...

Thanks Michael.

Meeting went well, though the FA is suggesting I work another 5 months beyond next January. It makes sense, but...
Have you run your numbers through Firecalc yet? You can find it here

Welcome aboard. Your interests are widely held here, you'll fit right in!

Doesn't everyone pretty much fit right in here? I hope so!!! :) Welcome aboard the train to retirement and beyond!!!

Makes one wonder how I slipped through... *grin*

Michael

I ran the figures through the basic level of FireCalc. A 3% return in addition to our pensions would more than suffice our needs. FC showing a 100% prediction of success (not a prediction, I realize). Accounts would probably conHtinue to grow.

Working another 5 months would add about $25k to one account, plus I wouldn't have to pay Health insurance premiums those five months. Plus the additional paychecks. In addition, I could use an accumulated three to four months of vacation and actually not work, or sell a portion of that vacation time back for about $22k.

The FA is suggesting I work a bit longer not because I need to, but because of the amount of money I could accrue in that time.

Greed or laziness ... Which will win out?

I haven't explored the full capabilities of the program, yet.

Last edited:
When my late wife and I sold our house/stuff and went fulltime Rving in 1997 we bought a (used) Class B PleasureWay........went from the B.C. Gulf Islands across Canada to Nova Scotia, down the east coast, then westward and down to the Baja where we camped on the beach for the winter....just outside Mulegé.

Back to B.C., sold the unit and bought an F250 HD Diesel and 5th wheel.......aaaahh, joy.

Yea, some of those 5th wheels are nice. Were we selling the house, it would be the way to go. DW doesn't want to sell the house though, even though we still have a mortgage. Since we really should downsize, I suggested we sell the house, travel for a year, and find the ultimate retirement city (for us).

I can't get her to agree.

You might be surprised at the number of 'folks' the [-]bouncers[/-] mods don't allow past the velvet ropes. :cool:
From one who knows! :cool:

There have been some eccentric folks here in the past. I miss them, but they may have driven some more sensitive people away. Observe decorum.

I am very good about observing decorum - in others lol.

Doesn't everyone pretty much fit right in here? I hope so!!! :) Welcome aboard the train to retirement and beyond!!!

I have never fit in anywhere in my life, and I am not about to start. You will see me on the "All-ER Forum" list for infractions..........;)

I'm a true INTJ personality, which does tend to get me cast in a negative light at times lol. Generally, though, I can keep it under control...

Back
Top Bottom