I'm retired, not unemployed

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone else have this happen to you?

I was chatting with a neighbor. First the topic was about his health (he was using an oxygen tank to help breath). Then during the conversation he asks me "So, are you still out of a job?" This was about the third time he has asked me this on different occassions. I politely tell him, I'm not out of a job, but I'm retired. It's just how the mind works in chit-chat. Just "chewing the fat" as they say. I'm sure when I see him bump into him again sometime, he'll ask "So, are you still out of a job?" LOL

You are out of a job --- voluntarily. :cool:

Two of our neighbors didn't know what to make of me being home a lot all of a sudden. They probably assumed I'd lost my job and were afraid to ask, but once I told them I retired, they've been all smiles. They want to know how they can retire early. I tell them there are advantages and disadvantages in working and in being retired (there are IMO)...

Last edited:
Many people need to see the world in a particular way in order to keep their view of self [ not have it challenged by other information]. That makes them poor listeners. I think we all do some of it. Maybe the guy got flushed out of a job because of his health and wants to put others in the same category [wishing to work, but having no control or opportunity for it] so he can feel better.

Turn off the old farts oxygen and tell him he has to say "easysurfer is a cool RETIRED dude" ten times before you will turn it back on.

Okay, taking this more seriously I think bld999 has it right. Verbal communication is filtered through the experiences and bias of the listener.

just tell him...

Yup, still out of work. Can you help me out with some of your cash ?

This method is guaranteed to get his questions to stop.

To be fair, I do the same kind of chit-chat but not listening too.

Kind of like when you see an old friend, and chat "so, your son/daughter is in high school now?". The I won't see them again for years. Next time, I'd catch myself going "So, your son/daugher out of grade school?" then realize..oops..we had this conversation before.

Back
Top Bottom