No Mike Wallace thread ?

Koogie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Given the average age and crankiness of most posters here, I would have thought he would have been some sort of hero ? :cool:

Or is he not liked because he waited until he was in his 80s to retire ? :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I have watched 60 Minutes my entire life (literally. Since I before I went to primary school) and always found him to be amongst the top tier of TV journalists (a profession who I have increasingly little respect for these days).

Hopefully he, Harry Reasoner and Ed Bradley are sitting having a chat together now.

Heck now they pre-empted 60 minutes for GOlf. Refused to watch since it was an hour late.

RIP Mike.

I fear for the decline of true and trusted journalism. Yes I'm aware of bias and look for it, but the rush of people to media outlets that pander to their viewpoints or bloggers who balloon up conspiracies and theorize about facts that aren't is really scary. I love to see a politician get skewered by good reporting, be they left, right, republican, or democrat. I equally enjoy a self righteous reporter getting roasted. Yes, rest in peace Mr. Wallace.

You forgot to mention Mr Bushy eyebrows

And don't forget Don Hewitt.

I liked Mike Wallace, too. I began watching "60 Minutes" when it was hosted by Dan Rather, Mike Wallace, and Morley Safer, with Safer the only current link back to the good old days.

As much as I like the show, I find it more and more annoying when it gets delayed nearly every week due to basketball, football, or golf. So when it runs into the 8-o'clock hour like it did the other night, I find myself watching something else and flipping back and forth.

I remember watching Mike Wallace's origanl TV show "P.M. East/P.M. West on a local NYC Channel 5. He had a young girl singer from Brooklyn who was a stand in for the female lead in the Broadway show "I Can Get It For You Wholesale". Her voice was typical Brooklyn but when she started singing out came the voice of an angel, her name Barbra Streisand.

I've got a big problem with these news magazine shows and the journalists on them. The problem is that there's too much acting and pretending going on.

Take a look at this video, starting at location 1:29:

RESVERATROL - Barbara Walters - How To Lose Weight And Live Longer! - YouTube

Barbara Walters is sipping wine, and is told she'd need to drink 1,000 bottles a day of wine to get a benefit from resveratrol. She chokes on the wine. That reaction is total BS, of course. She knew the answer ahead of time. Someone wrote a script with stage directions just as if it were a play. And BTW, if she's going to ham it up anyway, she should have done a spit take.

I see that kind of stuff on 60 minutes all the time. You know how you talk to a four year old, being very melodramatic "Is Spot under the sink. Yes! Oh there's Spot, under the sink!!!" That's what 60 minutes is like.

Last edited:
Oh noo, I certainly didn't forget "Mr. Rooney" He's the reason that "60" Minutes was always actually over at 50 minutes for me... : o )

And I certainly agree with Al. Why the hell can't they just do real journalism ? Why the puff pieces and celebrity "profiles" The profession has gone down the drain and with 24 hour news channels and "infotainment" I doubt it is going to get better again.

Sad as it is to say, he might be better off not having to witness the final collapse of it all.

As for Mike Wallace, I think it's wonderful when a man (especially) lives well into his 90's like that. That's a good, long life IMO. He definitely made an impact on America. I was unaware of his depression until after his death, and that is especially tragic considering that he had so much to be happy and proud about. I was not a fan but I think he did his job well and accomplished a lot. Also I didn't realize that Chris Wallace was his son, but now that news stories have pointed that out I can see a strong resemblance.

I've got a big problem with these news magazine shows and the journalists on them. The problem is that there's too much acting and pretending going on.

Take a look at this video, starting at location 1:29:

RESVERATROL - Barbara Walters - How To Lose Weight And Live Longer! - YouTube

Barbara Walters is sipping wine, and is told she'd need to drink 1,000 bottles a day of wine to get a benefit from resveratrol. She chokes on the wine. That reaction is total BS, of course. She knew the answer ahead of time. Someone wrote a script with stage directions just as if it were a play. And BTW, if she's going to ham it up anyway, she should have done a spit take.

I see that kind of stuff on 60 minutes all the time. You know how you talk to a four year old, being very melodramatic "Is Spot under the sink. Yes! Oh there's Spot, under the sink!!!" That's what 60 minutes is like.

Yes... 60 minutes was the first one to sway the news to whatever they wanted to show... it was not good journalism.... but I did watch it off and on over the years...

The way Mike was always puffing on a cigarette on and off the set, he must have been doing something right to make it to 93.

Oh I never liked Mike. OK I never liked anyone on 60 Minutes.

Grumpy Grasshopper

Back
Top Bottom