Turbotax error recovery

GrayHare

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone had to pay an IRS penalty/interest stemming from a Turbotax error? What did you need to do to recover the amount from Turbotax (Intuit) via their guarantee? Did Turbotax cooperate promptly and reasonably?

Due to an error in the software admitted at the Turbotax web site, the IRS is seeking thousands from me in penalties/interest alone. I've asked them to waive those fees, but if they don't I figure I'll have to pass along the cost to Turbotax.

Has anyone had to pay an IRS penalty/interest stemming from a Turbotax error? What did you need to do to recover the amount from Turbotax (Intuit) via their guarantee? Did Turbotax cooperate promptly and reasonably?

Due to an error in the software admitted at the Turbotax web site, the IRS is seeking thousands from me in penalties/interest alone. I've asked them to waive those fees, but if they don't I figure I'll have to pass along the cost to Turbotax.

That is a nightmare. I've not had experience like that.

Have you posed that question to the TT community? You may well find TT users in that forum who have had errors costing them money in the past.

Go here and you will find instructions:

TurboTax Accuracy Guarantee - TurboTax® Software Support

The link to file the claim is here (and on page above):

https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/ag/

FAQ on the Guarantee is here:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/ag/faqs.jsp

NOTE:
"You must contact us within 30 days of your penalty assessment if you believe a TurboTax calculation error has occurred. Do not wait to respond to the tax authority.

The TurboTax Accuracy Guarantee is a reimbursement program. If after reviewing your claim, it is determined that TurboTax made a calculation error, Intuit will reimburse you for the interest and/or penalties you paid to the IRS or state tax authority. Intuit does not pay any additional tax liability you may owe."

Seems like you should respond quickly.....

Good Luck.

Last edited:
I had a different TT situation...I found an error as I was filling it out and tried to get it corrected. It had to do with IRA conversions (this was 2 years ago). I went on the forums and found that TT knew it was an issue, but was not going to fix it because it affected so few people.

So...I had wasted 2 hours of time putting all the info in the screens, only to find that I had to do my taxes manually anyway.

I'll probably never use TT again for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom