My Hometown!

NYEXPAT

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have received PM's from people who are interested or feel some connection to where I call home. As some of us live interesting lives, in interesting places, I thought it might fun to start a thread where others can show what everyday life is like in their neighborhood. I am not a photographer and do not have many photo's so I will start with a few and add more later on.

As background I live in Lima, Peru. This is the second largest coastal desert city in the world (after Cairo,Egypt) with about 9 million people. More specifically, I live in the small tropical oceanfront district of Miraflores ( Pop. 85,000) Our "town" is a surf town situated a on a cliff a few hundred feet above the Pacific Ocean. The climate is rather unique as rain is measured in microns and other than the occasional earthquake (to keep you on your toes) their is no possibility of severe weather or other natural disasters, although we can watch the occasional Tsunami from the safety of the cliffs.

The temps range from 55-80 year round and we do not use heating or A/C. We basically have two seasons Summer & Winter. In Summer we sometimes have the most amazing fog that appears out of nowhere and you can watch roll up the street as you are having your morning coffee. As quickly as it comes, it disappears again. Winters are marked with a grey sky for day's on end. I enjoy it as I am always looking for shade but it does affect some peoples personalities. On weekends many of us escape to the Mountains (45 min away) where there is Sun all year round.

OK, let me see if I can insert some Photo's from around my home!

Attachments

• 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 23
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 20
  • costa_verde_miraflores_lima_peru.jpg
    costa_verde_miraflores_lima_peru.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 290
  • parque_del_amor2.jpg
    parque_del_amor2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
A few more.

Attachments

• calle_de_las_pizzas.jpg
    calle_de_las_pizzas.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 11
  • avenida_pardo_miraflores.jpg
    avenida_pardo_miraflores.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 13
  • venta_pinturas.jpg
    venta_pinturas.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 11
WOW!! Sounds like a beautiful place........how do Peruvians perceive us?

He's not kidding about the fog in Lima. And it is a beautiful city!
Here's mine:

Attachments

• Birthday IOP 185.jpg
    Birthday IOP 185.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Birthday IOP 149.jpg
    Birthday IOP 149.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF2159.JPG
    DSCF2159.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Sunset02.jpg
    Sunset02.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC04157.JPG
    DSC04157.JPG
    547.5 KB · Views: 14
I'll play. Here is a link to a 360 view of the country near Moscow.
Moscow Idaho Chamber of Commerce | Virtual Tour

It is the Moscow in Idaho.
Part of the geographic area known as the Palouse. National Geographic has listed it as one of the most scenic places in the world. Known primarily for agriculture, with some of the most fertile soil for wheat, peas and lentils in the world.

He's not kidding about the fog in Lima. And it is a beautiful city!
Here's mine:

Love Charleston, great town! Put a picture of that aircraft carrier on here........:)

Nothing better than smoking through the Palouse on a capable motorcycle. Clears your head nicely for south eastern Oregon!

Keim, I'm sure I've told you that I want very much to go out there, have since I was a little girl showing Appaloosa horses and that is where the national headquarters were, and the river our horses were named for. It looks so beautiful.
Yes, FD, here's the Yorktown, just for you! :)

Attachments

• Yorktown Charleston 02202011-006.JPG
    Yorktown Charleston 02202011-006.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 13
Here is a shot of the Palouse river falls, Sarah:
images

Los Angeles was my hometown for 20 years, and I loved it. I liked walking around and photographing what I saw. These pictures don't really show you what LA is like, but I enjoyed taking them anyway :)

55860211.jpg

87084913.jpg

A film/commercial shoot in an alley in downtown LA:
40159320.jpg

39375649.jpg

54755326.jpg

39352325.jpg

40581904.jpg

41344916.jpg

39377746.jpg

42705720.jpg

39625868.jpg

Not a member of e-r.org I'm presuming........
39625783.jpg

I didn't know how to get these images to line up side by side, so apologies for taking up the space. One of the things that I'm looking forward to when I finally get to start living the RV lifestyle is taking pictures of all the things I see, and sharing them on a blog. I feel a bit guilty for posting so many pictures, so hope no-one minds.

Here's a pic from the town where I grew up. The 1st pic was practically in my backyard.
9k=

Eastern MT is known for wide open spaces:
images

The tale of how the town was named, on a sign I originally made for an Eagle Scout project:
images

The local mountains:
images

Here is current hometown:

7071821111_40ae732ea8_c.jpg

7071819095_93dc100ef2_c.jpg

Here is my soon-to-be hometown:

7071820629_77cc1728cd_c.jpg

As background I live in Lima, Peru.

I have been to Lima twice and found it to be quite lovely. In fact, the young wife and I had a most magnificent ceviche for lunch at the restaurant out on the pier in your first picture. Last time we went, we stayed at the Country Club Lima Hotel in San Isidro.

Here is my hometown -- including my church; the town hall; the Long Island Sound shoreline; the boat docks in the harbor directly behind my house, and an aerial view of town (which you can click to enlarge).

Attachments

• 1st ucc.jpg
    1st ucc.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 196
  • town hall.jpg
    town hall.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 194
  • the sound.jpg
    the sound.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 194
  • harbor.jpg
    harbor.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 194
  • Aerial.jpg
    Aerial.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I have been to Lima twice and found it to be quite lovely. In fact, the young wife and I had a most magnificent ceviche for lunch at the restaurant out on the pier in your first picture. Last time we went, we stayed at the Country Club Lima Hotel in San Isidro.

Gumby, did not realize we were once neighbors, I was born and raised in Huntington and then lived many years in Upper Brookville. Your photo's bring back many memories of how beautiful life on the North Shore really was. Been along time since I have been back and so I can not place the harbor? I could be way off but it but that church is reminiscent of the one out in Port Jefferson/Setauket area?

Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed Lima. YW and I go to the bar at the Country Club Hotel and that was were I first lived when I moved down here. The restaurant on the Pier is "La Rosa Nautica" and is the reason for this thread. I was unable to figure out how to put a photo into a PM and so I decided to post it for a forum member who has very sentimental feelings for the restaurant, going back to the 1980's when Lima was a very different place!

Not my home town, but been here for 10 years and it's pretty nearby where I grew up. In fact I used to hunt here as a kid with my dad.

Smith Valley, NV. That's the view from my front porch. The rest of the 20 miles long, 12 mile wide valley looks a lot like that. No stop lights, two restaurants, one general store, two bars and two tractor dealers. NO COFFEE! :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_1262_50.jpg
    IMG_1262_50.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 163
Smith Valley - that rings a bell flyfishnevada. While living in Reno in the late 1980's, I used to travel around Northern Nevada for the radio station I worked for, playing oldies at various events. There was one event I played, after which I threw the rods in the van engine and had to wait for 3 hours in the early hours of the morning in the winter cold for the AAA guy to arrive. There was only one tow-truck in the entire area, and he was towing someone else a few hours away. The engine wouldn't run, so I had to bundle up warm and wait in the van.

I'm pretty sure that fateful event was in Smith Valley. All I remember was that it was in a restaurant/town hall, and it seemed like half the people from the area were there.

Love the open space in your picture!

New Orleans:

Attachments

• streetcarsnowbig121108.jpg
    streetcarsnowbig121108.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 4
  • FQ2.jpg
    FQ2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3
  • lighthouse.jpg
    lighthouse.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 4
Major Tom, your pictures and perspective are really very cool. I love to see what "real" photographers can do with composition. I especially like the one that includes the StudioDepot building--lovely contrasts.

So Walt, speaking of awesome photographers, can we see some of yours? :)

Attachments

• chiricahua20mountains_800.jpeg
    chiricahua20mountains_800.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 13
  • store.gif
    store.gif
    242.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Portal Peak AM.jpg
    Portal Peak AM.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 12
featured_bg.jpg

When we moved here in 93 it was all horse and cow farms, now its pretty built up.

Taken this morning of the Toronto skyline across the lake on my iphone (excuse the quality). Live in a suburb of Toronto and that is the view I have every morning as I run or bike before w*rk.

Attachments

• pc.jpg
    pc.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom