Should I file for SSDI????

rdjrn

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm 55 years old and have worked at the same company for 31 years. After being rated by the VA at 60% 17 years ago, I was recently increased to 100% Permanent &Total disability with SMC Housebound status (100% P&T on left leg, and 100% P&T on right leg). Recurrent DVT's, PVD, Massive Board Like Edema, on blood thinners for life, etc.

I'm currently still trying to work but my legs really give me fits and I'm constantly concerned about suffering a laceration of some kind and bleeding to death due to the blood thinners. However, I have a wife and 4 school aged kids who are very expensive so I need the income.

Should I file for SSDI? If so, can I file while I'm still working, then retire if and when I'm approved? What are my chances of success here? And finally, can my VA primary care doctor submit any of the required paperwork to the SSA, or does it need to be from my civilian doctor?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

See this: Social Security Publications
and this: Get a Publication

The first link is for "Disability" benefits while working and the second is for "SSI" benefits while working. "SSI" is for low income people with few resources. "Disability" is the standard disability insurance benefit from Social Security.

Click on the "Disability" tab or the "SSI" tab for more information about each program.

I can't speak about your specific case, but in general Social Security is reputed to routinely deny initial SSDI applications. In my prior job I had some contacts for lawyers who specialize in representing SSDI applicants.
If you want a name, reply or send me a PM. I'll then follow up with a former co-worker and get you the info.

The stories I've heard from people seeking SSDI is that it's a long, frustrating process with a lot of denials and appeals... and sometimes finally successfully getting through. If this were my situation, I'd probably bite the bullet and lawyer up for the fight.

I am told that after age 50 the likelihood of success improves. That said many people need to use lawyers. The process is completely independent of VA disability, and much stricter. That said your VA records will probably be helpful.

my understanding is you have to leave your job due to the disability. See the 5 steps for determining if you are disabled. Step 1 says:

If you are working in 2012 and your earnings average more than $1,010 a month, you generally cannot be considered disabled.

I believe the work trial program referred to earlier is to help you get back to work once you are deemed to be disabled.

Also, the SS handbook has information on how to apply for SSDI, the appeals process etc. Appeals is section 525-538. Chapter 6 in its entirety is about determining if you are disabled, section 600-623. You'll most likely need a lawyer.

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook/handbook-toc.html

I would second the recommendation to hire an attorney that specializes in SS disability. Their fees are regulated, reasonable and IIRC only taken when the outcome is successful.

Back
Top Bottom