Buying iPhone to Use as iPod Touch

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm running out of memory on my 8gb iPod touch (too much music) so my plan is to buy an iPhone 16gb, but without a phone contract.

I'll buy an iPhone instead of an iPod Touch because that will give me a camera, microphone, and GPS.

By buying a 1st gen iPhone I can save a few hundred dollars (e.g. total $85 including shipping), and the features in the newer iPhones aren't useful to me.

Alternatively, I could get an iPhone 3GS 32gb for about $200.

My understanding is that it won't be too hard to activate the iPhone even without a SIM card.

Comments?

googling these terms came up with a lot of info:

how to use iphone without sim card as ipod

A quick skim and it seems you want the SIM card just to get started )don't need an active account), but I didn't read further - sounds like there are other options.

-ERD50

IIRC, 1st gen iPhone doesn't run the latest version of iOS (and never will), which some apps require. So you will be locked out of some apps.

The later gen (4+) iPod touches have a camera, GPS, etc.

I looked into this recently for the wife who wanted an iPod touch, but found it was most price efficient to get a 3rd gen iPod touch over an iPhone to use as an iPod touch. Cost us 100 for a used 32gb one on Craigslist.

Is this just for music? Why not get a IPod nano?

FWIW, we just activated a refurbished iPhone 4 on Straight Talk prepaid service for our son. $15 for a microSIM and $45/month for unlimited voice, text and data. So far, so good. Straight Talk is affiliated with Tracfone.

Is this just for music? Why not get a IPod nano?

No, I use it for apps mostly.

The later gen (4+) iPod touches have a camera, GPS, etc.

I'd forgotten that, but it looks like a 4th gen iPod touch is more expensive than an earlier iPhone.

The new iPod Touch also has FaceTalk for communicating on WiFi without a data plan.

Also Android smatphones use microSD cards for storage. My Samsung purchased for $67 can have 64 GB. Great for tunes.

googling these terms came up with a lot of info:

how to use iphone without sim card as ipod

A quick skim and it seems you want the SIM card just to get started )don't need an active account), but I didn't read further - sounds like there are other options.

-ERD50

Right. I wouldn't have a SIM card. The other options (e.g. Hacktivation) seem a little messy (download this app, then this app, this method no longer works, etc.), so I just wanted to see if others have gone through this to avoid buying one and then being unable to activate it.

MichaelB said:
Is the iPod touch you have big enough if it were only apps and you transferred all the music elsewhere?

Note that The newer phones camera is much better. For me , it's worth the xtra $

Since you mentioned you were going to use this for apps...

There was a huge upgrade from 3GS to iPhone 4 (processor and screen resolution)... the screen resolution difference is astonishing. If you have the ability to get 4 or 4S it would be worth 25% more in price just for that IMO.

Here is the difference (zoomed in to a half inch or so size section of each screen). Apps look a lot nicer and if you plan to use anything like netflix, the newer model is a must.

iPhone/iPhone3G/iPhone3GS ..................................... iPhone4/iPhone4S

iphone-4-screen-comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Is the iPod touch you have big enough if it were only apps and you transferred all the music elsewhere?

Yes.

Space.jpg

That's a good idea, but I don't want to have yet another device to carry around.

Another alternative is to delete all the songs that I've rated 2 stars or less.

I have most of my gigs recorded, and organized, but that also may be an extravagance.

That improved screen looks good, I do use my iPod Touch a lot, and I'm trying to spend a little more money...

Is there anything in the Android world that would work as well?

Most non-Apple devices like this have a uSD slot, and you can buy memory chips for < $1/GB (4, 8, 16, 32GB are common and go on sale regularly), and can swap out easily for different collections when you exceed the memory of that one chip.

The 'no external memory' approach with Apple is why I'm waiting for the Android tablets to mature. I don't really 'need' an iPad now, so I'll wait.

-ERD50

Your best bet is an ipod touch 4th gen. Best gasdget for the money. I puchase a ipod touch 8gb for $20 last black friday. It has front and back camera, gps etc. Same as iphne 4 except the phone.

Back
Top Bottom