Drink coffee and live longer

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
If this is true it is certainly good news.

Men who drank 2 to 3 cups a day had a 10 percent chance of outliving those who drank no coffee, while women had a 13 percent advantage, according to research published today in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The study by researchers at the National Cancer Institute is the largest to compare coffee drinkers with those who avoid it to determine whether the beverage can delay the risk of dying from ailments such as heart disease, diabetes or respiratory illness, said Neal Freedman, the lead study author. It’s unclear why coffee may be beneficial and more research is needed to study that question, he said.
Story here Coffee May Help Drinkers Live Longer, U.S. Study Suggests - Bloomberg

This study fits in with my lifestyle, therefore I will accept it as gospel. When the study comes out that refutes this, I will ignore it. I feel better now.

I have already sent the URL to my DW's email account, with the remark that I will most enthusiastically continue with this proven healthy and necessary dietary treatment.

flyfishnevada said:
This study fits in with my lifestyle, therefore I will accept it as gospel. When the study comes out that refutes this, I will ignore it. I feel better now.

+1

I drink 2-3 cups every morning with breakfast, and then 1 big cup every night around 10 o'clock. I've read a few different articles in the past few years about coffee being beneficial to ones health, so I just figure that it's some inexpensive, great tasting 'medicine'. So, let me see.....a cup of coffee, a couple pieces of dark chocolate.....now if only they'll come up with a study that shows bacon to be good for us!!! :)

And it doesn't matter if it's decaf or regular. Party at Dunkin' Donuts!

It is astonishing that a study that reports a 10% relative risk reduction can get published in the New England Journal. The chance that this means anything at all is vanishingly small.

Ha

Last edited:
That's why I posted it.

Mr Ha, your point is well taken. Perhaps the significance is not the 10% but the conclusion that coffee is net positive. I like to see the studies and not the media coverage, and this time I did not because of what flyfishnevada wrote. Before posting here, however, I sent a copy to DW.

I take a litre vacuum bottle of home-brew into the office each day, helps me get through the entire day nicely.
When I become unemployed toward the end of this year, I suspect I'll just be a morning coffee person and do 3 PM naps when the occasion demands...

A link to the study here

We examined the association of coffee drinking with subsequent total and cause-specific mortality among 229,119 men and 173,141 women in the National Institutes of Health–AARP Diet and Health Study who were 50 to 71 years of age at baseline. Participants with cancer, heart disease, and stroke were excluded. Coffee consumption was assessed once at baseline.

RESULTS

During 5,148,760 person-years of follow-up between 1995 and 2008, a total of 33,731 men and 18,784 women died. In age-adjusted models, the risk of death was increased among coffee drinkers. However, coffee drinkers were also more likely to smoke, and, after adjustment for tobacco-smoking status and other potential confounders, there was a significant inverse association between coffee consumption and mortality.

Why am I not surprised that, after looking at the study, I have a different view?
No matter, though, because I am not looking for a reason to drink coffee, just some ammo for when people suggest I stop.

I haven't been drinking for most of my life but would occasionally have cappuccino and similar fancy drinks.

Then read that coffee is the top source of antioxidants for most people. Far more than green tea, for instance.

It doesn't hurt that they have a Starbucks machine at work so I've been having a small cup or two a day.

That's why I posted it.

Mr Ha, your point is well taken. Perhaps the significance is not the 10% but the conclusion that coffee is net positive. I like to see the studies and not the media coverage, and this time I did not because of what flyfishnevada wrote. Before posting here, however, I sent a copy to DW.
Yes; however with a small effect like this we really do not know that it is in fact net positive. One would have to see the data, but I would imagine that the confidence limits straddle the 1.00 hazard point. My guess and it is only a guess, is that it does nothing much either way for most people.

Smoking is the grandaddy of real health correlations, and get away from the US and you have to wonder. The US has smoking rates way below many other countries that have lower death rates than the US. Another factor rarely discussed is that in the US, smoking is a habit of the lower class, and people in lower classes do not live as long, be they smokers or non-smokers. Most of these 1.x or 2 hazard ratios do nothing except get some papers for epidemiologists who have not much else to occupy them.

Ha

Last edited:
to think.... I've been avoiding coffee all this time thinking it was unhealthy. Maybe I need to start drinking it.

Coffee, wine and sex - all works for me.

Then read that coffee is the top source of antioxidants for most people. Far more than green tea, for instance.
I hedge my bets by having 2-3 cups of green tea every morning, followed by 2-3 cups of coffee.

I stir the contents of each cup with a piece of bacon.*

* Just kidding. As far as you can tell.

Ok, hows this for a combo post? I had a retest on my PSA yesterday, I got good advise from the internet, no sex, bike rides, no alcohol, no coffee. So three days without coffee, and I was miserable, makes you wonder just how much coffee juices you up. Sitting here with my cup of joe waiting for my blood test results.

I was thinking of buying some Facebook, now I know the true effect of coffee.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom