401K Rollover - Dividend Stocks & Portfolios wanted

xtradoe

Recycles dryer sheets
I got a new job and will be rolling my former 401K into a Roth Ira @ Schwab and would like to hear everyones favorite stocks, I prefer Dividend Stocks for my core, but I am open to also hearing about some that you think could be a big home run, The next Apple? or? doesnt need to be a dividend paying stock just something that may be the next wonder stock.
I am in my mid 40's, can withstand some risk and would like to get rolling into Stocks which will be new to me because I have only used limited mutual funds through my 401K.
I have about 375K to put to work over time, anyone care to share and put your portfolio suggestions up for me to look over & analyze and why YOU like them? maybe even break down what stock and a dollar amount per stock, example: if you have several stocks and want to break them down to amount to 375K for the ultimate portfolio, I am all ears!
Thanks in advance, I appreciate it and I am looking forward to hearing from you guys, I know theres a lot of knowledge here.

I would focus on good companies which pay dividends, not the yields.

I asked a yield question many years ago and many here have yields higher than 3%, however they also admitted the stocks did not yield 3% when purchased.

I am retired and living on a portfolio of dividend-paying stocks. I like all that I track for the same reasons - a long history of rising earnings, rising dividends, good capital decisions, and an expectation of more of the same. Most yield around 3%. My favorites at current prices are ADP, AFL, EMR, ITW, JNJ, KO, MMM, MSFT, PG, SYY. Some other favorites that I consider over-valued at the moment are MCD, WMT, and all REITs I track.

Thanks, anyone else got some stocks they like?

I think people around here generally shy away from recommending specific stocks (what if we recommend a stock and you lose your shirt?).

Here are a few resources that could help you get started:
Dividend Aristocrat Investing - Seeking Alpha
Dividend Growth Investor
Amazon.com: The Ultimate Dividend Playbook: Income, Insight and Independence for Today's Investor (9780470125120): Morningstar Inc., Josh Peters: Books

You probably know this, but the Schwab screener is for individual stocks, not funds. When I was trading individual stocks, I often used screeners to narrow the field, but not as a final determinant on what to buy?

I'd sure want to ultimately decide for myself what to own knowing exactly why I own it. Asking here is no better than reading a general magazine or newspaper article on hot (dividend) stocks or a "hot tip" from a co-worker, BIL or worse. YMMV

Last edited:

I number of us are participating in this thread 2012 stock picks.

Do your own analysis, some of the picks are very speculative. (I labeled my as speculative vs less risky) but they all could easily lose 50% in the next year.

Back
Top Bottom