Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   Poll: I'd rather be 30 years younger ... (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/poll-id-rather-be-30-years-younger-61527.html)

Midpack 05-24-2012 11:15 AM

Poll: I'd rather be 30 years younger ...

This is NOT a poll asking if you'd like to be younger, it's more a poll on your long term financial outlook.

It stems from a debate on another forum where an OP states "If there is any segment of the population that is being exceptionally punished by the policies that have been embraced by past and current administrations, it is the retired class which sits by passively as their wealth is being transferred to other parties."

While I can think of legitimate grievances for retirees or any other group, I don't see where retirees are "being exceptionally punished" to an extent greater than any other group. To me it's a no-brainer, but I've been wrong before (today and every day). Who better to ask than this group?

I am not looking for a political assessment AT ALL, I'm looking for poll results more than anything else...

If you're 35 or less, you should probably vote "other" or abstain IMO.

rodi 05-24-2012 12:29 PM

The job market is much tighter now than it was when I was 30. At age 30 I was making big career moves/job changes to drive up my salary. Now people are clinging to their jobs - and if they lose a job, they end up taking one that pays less.

At least in my market and field.

MichaelB 05-24-2012 12:35 PM

I haven't given this enough thought to answer, but I am glad to be alive.

dtbach 05-24-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodi (Post 1197598)
The job market is much tighter now than it was when I was 30. At age 30 I was making big career moves/job changes to drive up my salary. Now people are clinging to their jobs - and if they lose a job, they end up taking one that pays less.

+1

Sarah in SC 05-24-2012 01:16 PM

Wouldn't change a thing.

jerome len 05-24-2012 02:00 PM

I've loved my life and would love the chance to live it again. It's been, is and I believe will be fun!!!!!!!!!!But......I wouldn't change a think in my life now......I'm very lucky.

antmary 05-24-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodi (Post 1197598)

+2 I could always get a job when I was 30, and the opportunities for going into a field of one's choice seemed endless. Now, it seems that there is a feeling of financial insecurity that is almost palatable for those still in the working years. The doors of good-paying and secure jobs appear to be closing, and have for quite some time.

I savor my life now, and feel confident that we will have enough money to carry on. I enjoy steeping myself in day to day experiences today; when I was in my 30's, it seemed that time just skipped along.

Bestwifeever 05-24-2012 02:45 PM

Clueless re finances and a lot of other things when we were 30. Yet it all worked out.

Sometimes I wish we didn't know now what we didn't know then.

Against The Wind - Bob Seger - YouTube

bo_knows 05-24-2012 04:43 PM

But, but... I am age 30 in 2012 :greetings10:

Edit: Ha, I didn't see "If you're 35 or less, you should probably vote "other" or abstain IMO." Oops.

Midpack 05-24-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bo_knows (Post 1197654)
But, but... I am age 30 in 2012 :greetings10:

So do you wish you were 60 ???

bo_knows 05-24-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 1197666)

I don't... but it's quite a different picture when you're looking so far ahead and it's hard to imagine investments that far out. At least it's on my brain I suppose.

lowflyer 05-24-2012 05:43 PM

Way back when, I managed to end up with quite a nice career, without a college degree. That'd be nearly impossible these days. I like where I'm at now, with our current finances.

Nemo2 05-24-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 1197666)

If you're handing out wishes, I'll take 60.......although 20 would be better.;)

East Texas 05-24-2012 05:56 PM

There will always be a lot of woulda/coulda/shoulda as we look back through time. Any change in my path at any point (career, personal, financial decisions, etc.) would have changed the person I am today, and not necessarily for the better. I'll do the bird in hand thing and appreciate who I am and what I have here and now.

W2R 05-24-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemo2 (Post 1197681)
If you're handing out wishes, I'll take 60.......although 20 would be better.;)

If I could be 20 again, I wouldn't care if it was 1968 or 2012. ;D That would be my dream come true.

neihn 05-24-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2R (Post 1197686)
If I could be 20 again, I wouldn't care if it was 1968 or 2012. ;D That would be my dream come true.

Yeah - I take 20 any time - I spent my youth in Vietnam re-education camp. If I could live my 20s here, wow imagine that. Just image that, already brings joy in my face :-)

W2R 05-24-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neihn (Post 1197690)
Yeah - I take 20 any time - I spent my youth in Vietnam re-education camp. If I could live my 20s here, wow imagine that. Just image that, already brings joy in my face :-)

Yes, after that experience I can imagine that you would really, really enjoy the chance to relive your 20's here. :)

Life was much kinder to me in my 20's, and I just want to live longer, myself. It would be nice to be young and strong again, too, and with my whole life stretched out ahead of me.

Midpack 05-24-2012 06:39 PM

The first line in post #1 seems to be getting lost. I couldn't figure out how to build it into the question more clearly...my fault. Guess the poll results will be inconclusive as intended anyway. Oh well, life goes on bra...

ShortInSeattle 05-24-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack

Sometimes I wish I was further along in my savings plan and closer to retirement. Then I remind myself that if I were older, I might not have my parents around and I'd have fewer years left with DH.

Generally I'm happy wherever I happen to be on the timeline, although every year is better than the last. I hope the trend continues!

Independent 05-25-2012 08:39 AM

Okay, I think the poll question could be "Which age group is most negatively impacted by the current Great Recession (or political decisions related to it)".

Somebody has claimed it's the older people because their assets "are being transferred" to others. Maybe they are thinking extremely low interest rates, (which I think do transfer income from older people with savings to younger people who are net borrowers).

I voted "other", and really meant "too complicated to know for sure". Young people have been hit by a rotten job market, 30 somethings by a collapse in house values, old people by lousy interest rates.

If I had to make a wild guess, it would be the young people because jobs are number 1 in terms of financial success.