Value Averaging our way to Semi-Retire

Seeking Semi-Retirement

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello FIRE Community,
Over the past year and a half I have been on a journey to evaluate, plan and optimize my investment strategy. My goal is for my wife and I to transition from a work-a-day world to a semi-retired, self-employed lifestyle within 5 (now 4!) years. I am 1 year into my plan and wanted to get feedback from the community “pros” on my plan so far.
My story is probably similar to many in my demographic: I am a happily married 36 year old with 2 kids ages 4 and 8. I started both IRA and unqualified mutual fund investing (American Funds) through a family friend with Lincoln Financial in 1998 immediately after college (one point for starting early, minus one point for being in managed funds)! A couple years ago, I saw the light and have now made the switch to mostly DFA portfolio with some low-cost Vanguard index funds for 529’s and cash savings with a value averaging contribution plans.
From what I've seen, the group here is knowledgeable and not afraid to offer opinions - that's what I need! I'll post in the Young Dreamers section with details, and I look forward to contributing where I can.

Welcome aboard. You're well on the right track in managing your money, most if not all of us had/have some missteps and/or started late (you avoided that clearly). You might enjoy reading Bob Clyatt's book Work Less, Live More based on your near term goals. We look forward to reading your posts...

Back
Top Bottom