Poll REVISED: How many times do you eat out per week?

Retirees Only: Excluding breakfast, how many times do you eat out per week average?

• 0-2

Votes: 47 60.3%
  • 2-4

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • 4-6

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • 6-8

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • 8-10

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 10-12

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 13 or more

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Sorry I wasted members time with yesterday's poll, but it's readily apparent from posts that I didn't ask the right question (again). I shouldn't have limited poll responses to dinner, since many got out at lunch. So let me try again if you'll indulge.

Again I'd like to restrict the poll to retirees, as I'd expect the results to differ from those who are still working.

Yes I know there's a bin overlap, but certainly we can all figure that out.

I am guessing the distribution will be a little different than the first wayward poll...

Last edited:
We probably eat at Panera 4-5 times per week on average, and go to a couple of other casual places on the other days. Always a late lunch for us.

I'd be willing to cook, but my SO thinks it's boring to stay home and we really do enjoy going out. For us, it's as much entertainment as it is dining. :D

I have a ton of dining options within a few blocks of my apartment: Panera, Subway, French bistro, sushi bar, pizza place, burger joint (not fast food), taco truck, farmers markets, and even some upscale-ish restaurants. As I wrote on the earlier thread, we only eat dinner out on special occasions. But I eat lunch out maybe 3-4 times a week (sometimes with DW, often by myself).

I dine out mostly when traveling, special events or for convenience. Breakfast maybe once a week. Too much salt, fat and sugar in restaurant food for my taste. I enjoy cooking and stick to simple meals that are quick and easy to make.

My young wife works and eats her lunches out, I have a FT cook so all my meals are at home. I still go out to a Cafe a everyday for coffee and dessert and then we may go to a cafe at 11 or 12pm for a late night snack. Sunday's the cook is off so we generally eat our main meal at a restaurant with the family.

My young wife works and eats her lunches out, I have a FT cook so all my meals are at home. I still go out to a Cafe a everyday for coffee and dessert and then we may go to a cafe at 11 or 12pm for a late night snack. Sunday's the cook is off so we generally eat our main meal at a restaurant with the family.
Sounds wonderful, ever consider adopting a 57 yo?

In the other poll, I replied that I ate out for dinner 1-2 times per month, so I answered the lowest choice. Including lunches, that's another 1-2 times per month, so the total is 2-4 times per month for both meals. On a weekly basis, that's 0-1 times so again I answered the lowest choice.

It is just DS and myself here, however he heads off to college in August. He has been enrolled in an on line Internet high school sponsored by a local university so he is home all day and we usually do take in for lunch. I cook dinner during the week but we usually go in our own direction on the weekends. This will all change when he goes to college.

Well, I guess the two polls look a lot alike after all. Sorry...

They probably would have looked different if you had kept the same choices. I suspect there aren't nearly as many in the '0' category, and most of the votes above are for 1 or 2.

They probably would have looked different if you had kept the same choices. I suspect there aren't nearly as many in the '0' category, and most of the votes above are for 1 or 2.

Yes, and also it might have helped if breakfast/brunch was included, with the same choices. An elaborate Sunday brunch is as much a meal out as a weekday lunchtime sandwich, IMO.

I think it is different. The original poll had 84% combined in 0, 1, and 2. The new one has about about 64% in that category (I assume choice 2 should really be 3-4).

Had breakfast out yesterday - the first time in years. DD birthday celebration. It's even better than I remembered. So good. So decadent.

Decadent breakfast or brunch? Sure...

Kansas City Barbecue Society Motto: “Barbecue—it's not just for breakfast.

DW and I eat lunch out about once a month or so. Now when DW is visiting her family in the East (couple of times/year), I seldom (read never) accompany her and I dine exclusively at the nearby military bases for less than $5 a day. it's the very best deal in town.

Yes, and also it might have helped if breakfast/brunch was included, with the same choices. An elaborate Sunday brunch is as much a meal out as a weekday lunchtime sandwich, IMO.
So you want I should run another poll? :cool:

JK, I promise. :D

I voted 4-6. I pick up a well balanced lunch for my mom and myself probably 3 times a week. Usually enough left overs for her the next day. Works out to be a pretty cheap way to eat for us. And I dine at the club a couple of days after my round of golf. So even though I eat out a lot compared to others, I couldn't buy and prepare meals at home much cheaper if any at all.

@midpack Any conclusions? I was a little surprised people didn't eat out more? I suspect there is pretty good data on average meals eaten out? I wonder how this group would compare?

Last edited:
@midpack Any conclusions? I was a little surprised people didn't eat out more? I suspect there is pretty good data on average meals eaten out? I wonder how this group would compare?
I was also a little surprised more retirees didn't eat out more often. We probably average 3/week, but I'd seen a few prominent (moderate spending) posters that seemed to eat out almost every day to my surprise. I also know I often see regular groups of [-]codgers[/-] retirees hanging out at McDonalds and other low cost breakfast places around town early in the morning [-]solving the worlds problems without benefit of facts, while spending about $0.78/codger[/-] to exchange golf/fishing/wifey/current events stories. LBYM would suggest otherwise though, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

We really like to eat out, and would do so more often, but we already average more than $70/week which seems a little high for a retiree IMO.

All in all, LBYM prevails in the poll, as I probably should have known. And it was mostly meant as a fun poll, thanks again...

Last edited:
When I am downtown around noon I may eat out, almost always sashimi. For ~$13 including tax and tip I can get enough to take care of hunger for 3 hours or so, and it is really tasty and a pleasant place to sit at the sushi bar and have lunch. If I am down there near the end of the work day I might just head home, or I might call my DIL who works nearby and see if she wants to join me for a snack and glass of wine.

My girlfriend at times meets me downtown for sashimi or oysters, and at times she comes to my place and we go out to a neighborhood restaurant or I cook a meal. Likewise when I go up to her place- she may cook, or we may hit a happy hour at a busy, fun place where we can sit at the bar, interact with other patrons, watch sports, and get a burger or something in a festive atmosphere.

Otherwise I eat almost exclusively at home.

Ha

breakfast/lunch/supper total: 2 or 3 times per year

Rounding it off the answer would be zero. It is a 4 hour round trip to the nearest city. We go in only once every 3 weeks for hardware, visit my parents, groceries and other supplies. Don't have time to stop for a meal. (Sometimes we will grab something at a fast food place.) Have to get back home before the frozen goods start to thaw.

Before ER was 10 - 12 times, now it is 4 - 6 times. Sure saves a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom