God Parents

Idnar7

Recycles dryer sheets
Growing up as a Catholic boomer, god parents to a niece or nephew was a pretty big deal/responsibility. As a fallen away Catholic thru divorce, I am wondering if this is still a big deal. Do other religions practice this?

Some still do, DW is Godmother to our Lutheran friend's son. We went out to Colorado to celebrate his HS graduation. I think that the Episcopalian Church does the same.

I'm Catholic and I've never met my godmother that I can remember, although she did send me a rosary when I graduated from high school. That was it.

The relationship probably varies a lot.

I'm Catholic and I've never met my godmother that I can remember, although she did send me a rosary when I graduated from high school. That was it.

The relationship probably varies a lot.

+1 that the relationship varies a lot. IIRC the idea is that if for some reason the parents aren't around to help steer the godchild spiritually then the godparent would. My godparents were an aunt on my mother's side and an uncle on my father's side and in our family in many cases they are close relatives.

My godparents (Methodist) still send me a birthday card every year, but are my aunt and uncle to whom I'm pretty close.
We are godparents for a nephew, and we are pretty slack, I admit.
My godparents always served as a sounding board for me whenever my parents drove me crazy, and still do (both).

Back
Top Bottom